AndroidAppsGood and EVO

Chrome Beta for Android finally goes live in the Google Play Store

Chrome Beta - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

We already knew this was on the way, but now it’s finally here: Google has released a beta version of Chrome for Android, available for download now from the Play Store on all devices running Android 4.0 and higher. If you remember, Chrome for Android was originally released as a beta app almost a year ago last February, and it was eventually upgraded to “stable” status. However, Google has hinted that it intends to align all of its various Chrome releases across different platforms, so the re-introduction of Chrome Beta for Android only makes sense.

This is also really exciting news for people like me who always love to run the latest and greatest software on all their devices – that’s one of the reasons why I ended up getting an ASUS Nexus 7 tablet, and the main reason why I switched to the developer channel on my Samsung Chromebook. That’s also why I’ve already downloaded Chrome Beta for Android, and why it’s already my default browser.

Initial impressions of the new beta are fantastic: I’ve noticed lots of speed improvements already, and I’m not the only one. Here are some of the first comments in the Play Store:

Looks much like the existing Chrome app, but runs much smoother on my Nexus 4

Love the speed increase.

Better, smoother and more awesome than current version of Chrome!

I used it for a couple of minutes and it is way better than the other chrome in the Play Market. It is fast and runs smoothly. Haven’t seen any bugs yet, but it seems to be promising. I hope it keeps being like that.

Of course, whenever you use anything that’s a beta, you run the risk of running into some bugs. Google simply says that the app can be a little “rough around the edges,” but so far, everything seems stable on my end.

Because of its beta status (and to keep “noobs” from complaining too much, I’m sure), Google has hidden Chrome Beta from Play Store searches. In other words, you have to obtain the direct link in order to download it. So … here it is.

qrc chrome beta - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

Download: Google Play

[Google]

John F

19 thoughts on “Chrome Beta for Android finally goes live in the Google Play Store

Lol how am I supposed to scan that when I use my Evo for Internet access

Why is this a separate install from the Google Chrome I had installed on my phone before? Why not just update the existing Google Chrome app in the market?

Because it’s buggy, and they want you to have a “stable” (…lol) version of Chrome to fall back to.

It’s a developer channel release. Basically, it’s a not fully baked version that has some new features and performance in it.

There can be bugs so its not a stable version. The stable version will get the features of this unstable version after they are ironed out.

Doesn’t work with cm10 for some reason. Force closes every time. No buano

Same here. Running Mazda’s AOKP on my 3D.

It works great on Dastin’s Gangnam Style CM10. Give it a try.

It’s definitely smoother than the stable Chrome. I like it.

Does that gangnum style cm10 run as smooth as the original cm10

It runs very smoothly for me. There really is no official CM10 for the EVO 3D, so you get various flavors from different developers.

Dastin has been doing ROMs since the HTC Hero days, so he knows what he’s doing. Give it a try.

…There’s a link to it right under the QR Code haha

Lol I just got mine (qr/nfc) from movaluate.com now I have to figure out how to reprogram it for……… I have no idea what. But thanks for helping the illiterate lol I thought the link was to download the play store so I didn’t use it after reading the article. Sorry John.

Just downloaded it on my Note 2! So far works great!

works great, see no issues so far.

What is the difference between this and the one that comes preloaded one the Evo 4GLTE?

This is a developer channel release. IE cutting edge. sometimes on the cutting edge you get cut ;)

Right now it’s a lot faster than the other Chrome stable… and it’s not the same thing as the Internet app that comes with the EVO.

Thanks, but I’ll stick with Opera Mobile 12. I admit it’s not so well platform-integrated, but I like it better anyway.

• I think it runs smooth. I am loving the speeds but I do not like that it does not have a bookmarks widget to add to one of my panels! I just have the HTC bookmark widget available to me.