ROM Picks: Lights Out for the HTC EVO 3D

Team D3rp has released a ROM that works with either the Sprint or Virgin Mobile versions of the HTC EVO 3D, that is snappy, responsive, and works wonderfully.

The ROM is based on the Sprint PCS 2.89 RUU and contains the Leedroid Tweaks, both the Sprint and Virgin Mobile APNs, and the Sony Xloud enhancements. It also comes packaged with an AROMA installer, which allows you to choose a Sense, Senseless, or custom installation.

It comes packaged with a neat over the air SVN updater, so in theory future patches should require a smaller download, rather than an entire ROM of data. That’s also more feasible on Sprint’s 3G network.

Everything in this ROM is transparent, and beautifully so. It’s not the smoothest or fastest ROM I’ve run on the EVO 3D, but I believe it may very well be the most fully-featured ICS to run that speed.

That’s not to say it is without problems. The AROMA installer seemed to not respond to screen touches for me using the latest 4EXT; however, you can still use the buttons. Bluetooth also failed to ever connect or turn on, but there’s a patch for that in the development thread on the third page, or you can install an update via SVN, supposedly.

The 3D camera also appeared to be a little out of focus and not as good as I’m used to. However, this may be entirely my imagination, as every time I tried taking a picture, the cat turned into a blur of motion.

A lot of work has gone into this, it looks really nice, and it has a ton of features to make this an extremely configurable work of art.

As a side note, the Virgin Mobile branded EVO 3D is called the EVO V 4G (not to be confused with the original HTC EVO 4G), but is the exact same hardware as the EVO 3D.

Give it a try, and let us know what you think. It’s been running on my EVO 3D as the first ROM I downloaded and flashed for the year, and quite possibly the first released EVO line ROM, as it came in at 3:00 a.m. on January 1.

[xda-developers]

Paul E King

6 thoughts on “ROM Picks: Lights Out for the HTC EVO 3D

• January 3, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Do you know if you can use this if you are S-On and if you need Smart Flash on if so?

• January 3, 2013 at 10:49 pm

That sort of depends on a few factors. If the kernel they’re using is the same kernel you’re using you do not need to use smartflash.

However, if you’re S-ON right now and running an AOSP ROM you would have to use either smartflash, flash image GUI, HTC Dumlock, or fastboot to flash the kernel correctly.

• January 4, 2013 at 12:06 am

I’m guessing you’ve tried the MeanRom that was made before MikeyXda went to the LTE? Can you say which felt better in your hand?

• January 4, 2013 at 7:56 am

Mean is more fluid, Lights Out is more pretty and has all sorts of tweaks hitting you in the face

• January 5, 2013 at 9:26 am

I love my 3d, gimmicky or not! There was just something about it that my LTE can’t touch

• January 15, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Giving it a whirl and running into a few issues (not sure if they are all related or not).

Wifi – I get no data transfer on wifi. I can connect, but nothing further happens. I’ve tested on 3 different wifi networks.

Google Nav – The moment I press the “Speak Desitnation” button, it (google maps) crashes. I’ve never had issues with this in any other ROM.

WiFi “Sprint” tether – It “seems” to at least partially work – but I cannot get into the settings area to change password or settings. The moment I press the settings button for it, it crashes.

I’ve been having some oddities with the notification sounds. On several occasions I’ve had my phone in plain few and saw it light up but it never made a noise. I confirmed that the rings was indeed on and turned up. It also was quiet during an alarm once too (scary, don’t want to miss work!) only the sound of it vibrating woke me. As tired as I was, I still just snoozed the alarm and 10 minutes later when it went off it DID make the proper sound.

I’m hoping to iron all of these issues out..or else I’m off to yet another ROM.