Good and EVO

Could this be why a whole bunch of HTC devices just got security updates?

htc logo small - for some reason we don't have an alt tag hereThe original HTC EVO 4G, the EVO 3D, and the EVO Design 4G have all received OTA updates recently, all very close to one another, and all with unnamed security updates. Then, last weekend, we heard that HTC had reached an agreement with the FTC regarding charges that the company shipped millions of devices to consumers with a potentially huge security bug.

Could these updates be related?

Specifically, HTC is accused of failing “to employ reasonable and appropriate security practices” on over 18 million devices shipped to American consumers. The security bug in question allowed malicious third party apps to use the voice recorder function on affected devices to unknowingly record users’ phone conversations.

On Friday, a spokesperson for HTC said that the majority of devices affected had already been patched, which I have confirmed on my own HTC EVO 4G LTE (the voice recorder stops recording once a phone call is initiated). It now appears that this functionality was also stripped from the other EVOs, meaning that this very well could have been what these recent updates were all about. While I’ve been unable to locate more information about these specific updates, this seems the most logical – and probable – explanation.

[FTC via Huffington Post] Thanks, Peter and Bill!

John F

13 thoughts on “Could this be why a whole bunch of HTC devices just got security updates?

• I have yet to receive any update on my HTC Evo 3D – based in Los Angeles, CA.

Gee, I thought CarrierIQ had been removed a long time ago :P

It was. Well over a year ago now.

For what it’s worth, the voice recorder stops recording on my EVO 3D already during a phone call. I’m not patched.

Yeah, the EVO 3D update appears to be a bit of a myth. Still at 2.89 — “No firmware update available”

I’m in Atlanta and I still haven’t received the update on my 3vo

• Got the 3vo update, now my screen has stopped responding correctly – it won’t register touch in the middle of the screen, instead showing multiple touch points (for example, hitting 5 on the dialer presses 2 and 8 at the same time instead).

Of course, something could have happened to the device overnight, but it’s odd that it started happening immediately after I installed the update.

That sounds a bit like the device got shocked – try yanking the battery, powering it back up

• Thanks for the suggestion, I switch batteries quite often (don’t like having a mobile device plugged into a wall for an extended period) so it would have already fixed itself.

Even tried a factory reset today and no luck, same issues – I’m guessing it has just seen better days. My upgrade is July 1st, so I’m sure if it gets too bad Sprint would give me an early upgrade if need be. I’m going to try to run it into the ground and wait for the Summer phones though.

• i still haven’t got the evo 3d update

• still no update on my evo3d nb tx..

Still no update on my EVO 3D in NW WA.

And here I was considering the HTC trade in for the One. Those bastards. They got outted…….. AGAIN!!!

Nope. The HTC loggers and CarrierIQ stuff was removed a long time ago.

The latest updates were for the Sprint Optimizer mostly. Gotta save that bandwidth.