AndroidGood and EVO

HTC One live tiles - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

HTC just sent Pocketables a press release summarizing the announcement of its new flagship smartphone, the HTC One, which was unveiled this morning in New York City. It features a 4.7-inch 468ppi 1080p screen, a “zero-gap” aluminum unibody frame, 32GB-64GB of on board storage, and several new features called BlinkFeed, Zoe, and BoomSound.

BlinkFeed is basically the HTC/Android equivalent of Live Tiles, although HTC describes this as “a bold new experience that transforms the home screen into a single live stream of personally relevant information, all in one place, eliminating the need to jump between multiple applications.” Content will be provided by more than 1,400 sources, and users can program the tiles to display relevant social media updates and news.

The “UltraPixel” camera will combine three separate images taken simultaneously into one that will include 300% more light than before (this is better if you’re in a lower light environment), better colors, and improved overall quality. The camera will also feature enhanced 360-degree panoramas, time sequencing, and object removal, all of which will utilize “Zoe,” which is simply HTC’s marketing term for this underlying technology. It also includes the ability to “transform still galleries into moving memories. With the ability to automatically create integrated highlight films that can be remixed or set to different themes, HTC Zoe ensures those memories can be easily shared.”

BoomSound refers to the two front-facing stereo speakers, which have a dedicated amplifier and (of course) Beats Audio integration enabled across the entire experience. Additinoally, HTC’s new Sense Voice technology purports to boost call volume and quality in noisy environments (HTC says you’ll be able to make calls during a concert), and when recording HD video, the dual microphones and new audio processing will produce better sound.

The HTC One will be available globally on 185 carriers in 80 regions and countries starting in March, available in both silver and black. There’s no official word either way yet, but I have a feeling that – given HTC’s new marketing push and desire to make one phone available for all carriers, along with the somewhat odd timing of this release – this might be the beginning of the end of the EVO name.

Update #1: Sprint has just released its own press release, confirming that it will carry the new “international” HTC One, and that it will be compatible with its 4G LTE. It’s fantastic to see that Sprint’s version will also be compatible with global GSM networks, but at the same time this does seem like another nail in the EVO coffin.

Update #2: Here’s a full(er) spec sheet:

• 1.7GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 quadcore processor
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 32GB or 64GB of onboard storage
  • 137.4 x 68.2 x 9.3mm body (tapering to 5mm at the edges) CNC’d from a solid slab of specially formulated aluminum alloy
  • 4MP back camera
  • 2.1MP front-facing camera with an 88-degree wide-angle lens
  • 4.7-inch 1080p Full HD LCD3 display
  • 25GB of free Dropbox storage
  • Sense 5
  • Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, with Android 4.2 coming shortly

Update #3: AT&T and T-Mobile have both confirmed that they will be carrying the HTC One, along with Sprint. Verizon remains notably absent.

[Sprint | AndroidSPIN]

John F

50 thoughts on “HTC officially unveils the HTC One (yes, practically all of the rumors were true) [Updated]

• It comes in red as well…

• the One comes with three new Sense features that will redefine the user experience on the HTC smartphone.

HOnestly i will be trading in my evo for this device i will be trading in in mid april just to give people time to see all the kinks and bugs

SD card slot? I guess not.. *sigh*

you have 32 or 64 to choose from also 25 from drop box what more do you want???? your just being negative for the sake of it..

Its not being negative at all. I myself like having an SD card. Not everything works so well from the cloud. Ever been downtown San Francisco with hundreds of other people? Even with full bars it still is painfully slow to do much of anything online. Also if the phone breaks or bricks when you root it… then what? Again some of us just prefer having an SD card.

Well i am in nyc and i can say that there is wifi almost everywhere you go and if you are one of the lucky ones that is getting an lte signal than you dont need to worry.. i myself have a 16gbsd on my evo but thats because i had it with my og evo and switched over.. i dont use my phone for music or movies but still i think 64 should be more than enough

• I wouldn’t say being negative. We have no idea how Wubbie uses their phone. It’s all personal preference. As of right now I’m going to pick up a 64g card for my Evo LTE. I just need the extra space for different backups, movies, games, music, and pictures. I work in HVAC, which means I am somewhere else everyday. Some of these areas I don’t have access to a strong signal to stream. Also with the size of these new games you can easily take up 20g. It’s all about personal preference. That’s what makes Android so awesome. Unfortunately this will most likely be my last HTC due to them taking that choice away. I really loved all my Evos.

I think what Nelson was trying to convey is the same 64 card you speak about (I have one too in my EVO LTE) is almost the equivalent of the 64 internal memory (max) they are offering in the HTC ONE. Instead of storing it on the card, you’ll just store it on the device. I’m in line to get my HTC ONE and sell my EVO LTE.

• I understand that it is enough for some people. If you add the base memory and 64 it’s more than what you get on the new HTC One. Also if you break the new phone you can’t just pop the card out. So you essentially just lost everything.

• I switch SD cards pout all the time in my phone, especially on flights. I fly 3-4 days a week on average and don’t always have time to put new movies and music on my phone, but its easy to load up 3-4 32 GB SD cards and be good for the week. Just because you don’t use your phone for media doesn’t mean other people dont either, and WiFi isn’t always available for people who travel often. Complaining about lack of an SD slot isn’t negative, and for people like me it is absolutely a deal breaker.

• Agree with all these coments on sd. I currently have a 16gb card and both it and the interanl on my evo lte are nearly full. I dont even have alot of my music on it or all the games Ive purchased an would like to play.

Streaming on Sprints network is a bad idea. Painfully slow in my area unless your standing ounder a sprint tower in the middle of nowhere.

The SD comments are very realistic, so if it doesnt bother you and you get GREAT Sprint signals everywhere you go then good for you. The majority of us on Sprint do not.

Also The Camera button….man they missed the boat on that one.

Im going to wait and see if an EVo variant gets announced with sd card, camera button, and possibly a kickstand.

If not then verizon or possibly att will be getting my money soon.

It looks like a nice phone. I am pretty much content with my evo lte, but you never know what can happen over the next few month

Hmm. I wonder if Sprint will get this in EVO guise or if HTC will try to force the “One” moniker to keep the brand more pure.

Also, the no multitasking button is kind of a shame. Though, for me, since I’m still using the whole long-press home button to multitask on my EVO 3D, it wouldn’t be that big of a deal.

Ah. Apparently, multitasking on the HTC One is done by double tapping the home button, not long pressing.

Long pressing brings up Google now. I would have thought the opposite would be a bit more intuitive.

I was hoping that a long-press of the back button would bring up multitasking, as it doesn’t seem to do anything.

Looks like a great phone but for us EVO owners it still has the same problem as always… crappy coverage and horrible download speeds for the majority of us who are not blessed with lte anyway.

4 megapixel camera? That sure is interesting… I’m the first to say that megapixels don’t matter, but that assumes we’re talking a normal range of pixels to begin with- at least 8. I guess it doesn’t matter to most people that 4 megapixels is too little to print in A3, but what is likely going to matter more is that these images will not look good on 4k screens..

…You mean 13MP camera? (or 2.2 for the front) Neither of which are 4 ha. (Am I misreading something?) That’s one thing that I love about my LTEvo, are the amazing pictures.

All other reports I’ve seen said that it is a 4MP camera except that they are calling it UltraPixel instead. The difference is that the pixels are larger on the sensor so they are more sensitive in low light conditions allowing for better images (ie less noise). It also supposedly has a f2.0 aperature which should allow it to perform much better in low light conditions as well. Sure you give up the super high resolution and the quality lost when using the non-optical zoom will be much more apparent but for the purposes most people use phone cameras for (quick snap shots, social networking, etc) this is plenty of resolution. Getting better low light results seems like a good trade off. For me, if I really want a high quality, high resolution image, I don’t grab my phone anyway. I grab my Nikon. :)

• Yes – the article originally stated 4MP, then was corrected to 13MP based on another conflicting report, but now it’s back at 4MP – sorry… the confusion lies at these “Ultrapixels,” which is what HTC is now calling them. That explanation is correct, though – they are bigger, allow more light, and will create better overall images. If you consider that 4MP is enough to display something on a 30-inch screen, that will be enough for most consumers. But until the camera is out in the wild, we won’t really know if this trade-off is worth it or not.

• There’s still the argument against the need for a 4k screen relative to viewing distance, just as people say there’s no point in a 1080p screen on a 5″ phone. Only time will tell if the numbers matter in the long run in terms of performance or if they’re simply there to get a few extra dollars out of the uninformed consumer.

I may be doing an early upgrade to get this sexy phone.

4 mp???? Hmmm…..
    sd card necessity….
    Still kinda leaning towards Samsung

I hope this doesn’t get the EVO treatment on Sprint. It will make it that much easier to finally leave them after 15 years. Their service and slow speeds has finally become unbearable for me.

“…with Android 4.2 coming shortly”

So let me get this straight, they have 4.2.2 out already for their HTC One X, but this so-called newer phone gets released in a month running 4.1?

No thanks, HTC, I’m really tired of your sh*t. I’ll just keep my money right here in my pocket.

• HTC One X is still at Android 4.1, if I’m not mistaken.

Looks nice and durable. I like the speakers on front and the upgrades to the gallery. Looks like they kind of bit off of Microsoft with the live homescreen. Ill pass though I got burnt too bad with this fake a** flagship phone they made for sh*tty Sprint!

Samsung here I come!

K-man, you are right. Its a shame. Definitely not buying this phone maybe the next one that comes out in a few months

Oddly enough the Galaxy S4 has been moved up to a March 14 release date as well. Out of the box with 4.2.2 and everything. iPhone killer/HTC killer anyone?

agreed K-man, the new S4 looks like a beast and HTC is trying to keep up. it really comes down to their software, fixed battery vs removable, and taken an sd card vs not because it seems like everything else is the same playing field.

is the battery removable?

there is only two questions i would have about the device that seems havent been answered. is the battery removeable like prior devices before the Evo LTE and is it going to take a sd card or not? other than that, im seriuosly taken a look at it i have a Samsung SIII but miss alot of the sense features i had on my proir HTC devices. SO if someone can get those extra details i might convert back to the HTC i once enjoyed

Huge boner over here on the west coast.

I’ll keep my Evo for a little while longer.

I have Evo 4G. Even with 3300ma battery, the phone is dead in a day. I would like the security of removable battery, or a big battery like Motorola RAZR Max. As it is, I have to keep 4G off as it sucks juice fast. All these new features when the critical issue is battery life. What good are the features if the phone is dead. And LTE? Sprint charges for it but does not have it, least not in SoCal.

You have a 2 and a half year old phone…

• i would buy this in a heartbeat *if* the battery preforms at least as good as my 4g LTE and *if* (the biggest one) the LTE antenna is much better than the 4G LTE. my gf has an iphone 5 and she gets great lte in our apartment, me horid 3G signal. I step outside, wait a minute, great 4G. Also *if* i could use that HTC trade in for $100 for my OG EVO then sell my 4G LTE to gazelle for like $100. I bought two 4G LTE’s off of amazon last june and somehow it didn’t extend my contract even though they where upgrade phones. The GF jus upgraded to iphone 5 and it says I can still upgrade. Hopefully if i buy through amazon the same thing will happen and I”ll be contract free.

My question is.. Will it be the end of goodandevo? Will there be a name change in the works?

Caesar….I like “oneanddone.com”

Yet another fail from HTC.

• I’m not trading my GN2 in for this…. But I like the stereo front facing speakers and carved aluminum body… The lack of SD card is a killer for me tho… Basically because if the phone dies (regardless of Dropbox, etc) it’s a pain to get things off or might end up wiped…

• everything looks good except there is NO removable battery :(

I might wait to see what the next nexus device is going to be. . .

I just thought of something. Since the video says it has a full metal body (which sounds nice) doesn’t that kill the NFC? So that means this phone won’t have NFC capabilities. I was jealous of my girlfriend’s Galaxy S3 because of NFC and got the EVO 4G LTE since i’ve owned previous Evo before. The reason why the Iphone 5 doesn’t have NFC is because Apple chose aesthetics over NFC and went with a metal back.

Just noticed possibly the greatest feature that could ever be included to a phone.. A customizable IR transmitter! No more reaching for all my different remotes! (hopefully)

Does anybody know if the Evo LTE will get updated to Sense 5 that the HTC One is being released with?