Sprint Connections Optimizer: Friend or foe?

Sprint Connections Optimizer - for some reason we don't have an alt tag hereNow that the original HTC EVO 4G, the EVO 3D, the EVO Design 4G, and the EVO 4G LTE have all been updated to include Sprint’s Connections Optimizer app, it’s time we take a close look at what this app does, and how useful it really is.

If Connections Optimizer is installed on your phone, it’s generally available as “Automatic Connections” in your mobile network settings. It purports to help you “manage and enhance your data experience by finding and connecting to ‘remembered’ Wi-Fi networks on your device and, if applicable, the Sprint 4G Network.” In other words, this app – which Sprint is actually in the process of rolling out to its entire Android line up – will automatically connect you to available WiFi networks as you travel around throughout the day and go about your business. Sprint claims (with partial correctness) that this will help preserve your battery, as connecting to available WiFi is usually much more battery efficient than connecting to 3G or 4G, although this won’t necessarily always provide you with a “better” data experience.

For example, if someone is constantly walking around a college campus that has spotty WiFi, your phone may constantly bounce between weak WiFi signals and the mobile network, resulting in data that’s borderline unusable for the end user. Additionally, some WiFi networks require you to sign in or accept some terms and conditions before use; Sprint Connections Optimizer won’t take care of that automatically for you, resulting in a connection to WiFi with no data transfer.

Another potential issue with Connections Optimizer is the fact that it doesn’t actually toggle your WiFi radios on and off; you still have to manually shut off your radios if you don’t want your device to connect to WiFi. Failing to do this might result in your phone constantly searching for an available WiFi network, or connecting to weak WiFi networks, which might ultimately kill your battery faster than if you were simply to keep WiFi off and remain connected to 3G or 4G instead.

At the same time, some people have reported connecting to certain WiFi networks when they did not intend to do so; in other words, Connections Optimizer forced WiFi on due to the location of the phone. This might be all right for some people, but others prefer that WiFi remain off when they manually turn it off. This “feature” might be a big headache for some users.

Therefore, I think that for general WiFi management and automatic toggling, there are much better apps out there you can choose. My personal favorite is Smart WiFi Toggler, which I reviewed last month, but others are just as good. Smart WiFi Toggler will keep WiFi off when you manually turn it off, regardless of your location, for example. It will also automatically turn off your WiFi radios when you travel away from a WiFi network, unlike Connections Optimizer.

There are also privacy concerns with Connections Optimizer, too: Sprint warns, “To facilitate quality assurance and enable feature enhancements, your wireless service provider collects information about your battery levels, Wi-Fi, and network connections and usage.” In other words, you are sharing quite a bit of information with Sprint – something not everyone will feel comfortable doing.

However, there is one use case in which I find Connections Optimizer to really shine: If you own a WiMAX phone, like the EVO 4G or the EVO 3D, this app will help you automatically connect to 4G when you travel to an area where it’s available. Unlike Sprint’s newer LTE-compatible phones, WiMAX acts more like WiFi in that you have to remember to turn it on and off; leaving your WiMAX radio on all the time is a huge battery drain – much more so than leaving your WiFi on all the time. Sprint Connections Optimizer can definitely help with this – but only if you occasionally travel to a WiMAX service area.

So what’s my ultimate verdict in regards to Connections Optimizer? It might be OK for the more inexperienced people, and it will certainly help Sprint clear up some space on its overly congested 3G network, But honestly, most Sprint customers can find better apps that will manage what this app is supposed to do.

become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

John F

32 thoughts on “Sprint Connections Optimizer: Friend or foe?

February 25, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Thank goodness for root. I got rid of it. it’s just a pain for me. No wimax no LTE in my area, so its either 3g or wifi. It hurt my battery more than it helped.

February 25, 2013 at 1:17 pm

good article, john. i leave connection optimizer on my evo lte off. i only use wifi at home and at work. i have been picking up LTE more and more as i move around maryland. thanks again.

October 15, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Yes it seens like 4g is getting better in Maryland.halethorpe area here

February 25, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I thought it was kind of nice that it would jump to wifi when I was either at home or at my gf’s. It saved me a step, but it was oddly inconsistent (i.e. it didn’t always do it). In light of some of the other issues highlighted above which never occurred to me…I’m inclined to disable it.

February 25, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I tried it for about a week, and it was so inconsistent that I did the same. Back to Smart WiFi Toggler for me! :-)

February 25, 2013 at 2:02 pm

it’s a foe.

Had to disable it when it kept switching modes when the power would be plugged in, or the screen go off.

Also would randomly interfere with other programs “oh, you want to know the 3G strength here… no, screw you you’re at home you get wifi”

If I was doing any sort of tethering, forget it… if you’re in a car or walking somewhere it doesn’t know it kept turning off wifi…

February 25, 2013 at 3:19 pm

FOE!. i would turn off 3g wifi during night time while i slept and it would turn both on for some reason so instead of having 100% in the morning when i woke it would be at around 80 mainly because 3g was being switched on.

February 25, 2013 at 3:43 pm

you think it would be smart enough to choose a fast, strong 3G connection over an anemic wifi signal.. no

never works when its supposed to, foe, its crap

February 25, 2013 at 4:12 pm

I don’t understand the difference between this and how my phone normally is. I leave WiFi on my phone on all the time. Whenever I go to my office or I’m at home, the phone automatically connects to WiFi. When I leave, it switches back to 3G. This is without the connections optimizer enabled. Am I missing something here?

February 25, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Many people do the same thing, that is why Sprint came out with this app. You can drain your battery pretty quick by leaving WiFi toggled on all day when you aren’t connected to a network. Your phone will continually search for a WiFi network in the background.

February 26, 2013 at 12:25 pm

False. Leaving WiFi on all day doesn’t really hurt battery, as mentioned in the article.

The “reason” Sprint pushed this app out is to try to divert as much traffic as possible off of its crowded 3G networks. As mentioned in the article.

Overall I don’t really love this “feature”. There are some scenarios where it benefits the user as much as it benefits Sprint, but not many.

February 27, 2013 at 1:11 pm

My battery drains faster when I leave WiFi on and disconnected from a network.

February 25, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Looks like another reason to leave Sprint when my contract ends. How does this app know that I can trust the wireless network I’m in range of? I don’t always WANT to connect to a random wireless network. At least I’m already in the habit of turning wi-fi off when I’m out and about, but not everyone does this.

February 25, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Connects only to the wireless networks you have connected to before never a new random WiFi signal. If your at an airport or some where with free WiFi in won’t connect unless you have used that network before.

February 25, 2013 at 10:29 pm

I would prefer to manage the radios myself.
    How easy is it to disable this “service”? Is root required?

February 26, 2013 at 5:31 am

I just turned it off. Somehow I missed this setting, but I suspect it’s been causing an issue I’ve been suspicious of for a while. On my drive home, it seemed like I would lose internet access (when streaming media), and it’s always in an area where my phone picks up different wifi networks, which I don’t have access to. It stopped/improved, when I shut off my wifi. I’m going to see if turning this off, will improve things.

February 26, 2013 at 7:26 am

I’ve done a factory reset, turned off the connection optimizer, disabled the actual app in app settings, turned my WiFi off, and connected to 3G. My phone still tries to connect to the WiFi when I get to work. Any suggestions?

February 26, 2013 at 10:03 am

I wonder if it turning itself on automatically means it’s associated with your account now. It does mention that it takes analytics from your device.

There has to be a way to stop it. I’m just out of ideas on how to accomplish that.

April 6, 2013 at 12:07 pm

if you want it truely gone from your phone might as well root your phone and use a root app uninstaller and take it off

February 26, 2013 at 8:30 am

I have this disabled on my phone. I have an ap I love to use called timeriffic. It lets me setup time based profiles, so my phone turns wifi, sound, vibrate, etc. on and off at specific times. My phone already switches automatically from 3G to 4G whenever I am close to a tower, and if my wifi is on, is I go close to wifi, I either connect automatically if I have before, or I have the option to connect. I don’t need Sprint getting involved.

February 26, 2013 at 9:36 am

The FCC forced HTC to update their devices….read the NY times link on the Evo 3d blog. They had numerous glitches including the ability of third party apps to record calls without permissions. Samsung is more and more tempting for my next phone!

February 26, 2013 at 12:40 pm

i searched a long time based on many permutations of the keywords in your claim and could not find any evidence of this. link please?

February 26, 2013 at 1:23 pm

He talked about this in another article comment section. I think he’s talking about the HTC Loggers and CarrierIQ debacle.

Needless to say, HTC sent out updates for that a LONG time ago. Like back in late 2011 and early 2012.

February 26, 2013 at 2:47 pm

ah – yes that might explain it. thanks.

February 26, 2013 at 9:58 am

My beef with it is that I get very little say on what it’s going to do. I don’t like that it will associate with any Wi-Fi network, which is a security hazard in itself (man in the middle attacks).

This app is mainly to benefit Sprint by offloading throughput from their network. I use Llama which is smart enough to turn off Wi-Fi dynamically.

February 26, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I still don’t understand what additional functionality this app provides over just leaving WiFi on and having it connect automatically to WiFi at work and Home with 3G/4G otherwise.

It says it only connects to remembered networks, so it’s not doing anything different there.

April 6, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I work for sprint and I hate it with a passion. It will also cause your phone to stop having data services when you should have it. I have found that turning the damn thing off is best for any phone it is on. I wouldn’t trust it even if my life depended on it!!!!!

August 2, 2013 at 8:57 am

Hey John got one simple question for you, how do i get this cramp off my phone Its killing my battery badly?

November 7, 2013 at 3:45 pm

How is the Connection Optimizer different from your phone finding available WiFi networks on its owe? You still have to choose to connect to the available network that the Connection Optimizer finds. I have been missing calls when it switches in between networks. I just moved back to Android from Windows and Apple. iPhone and Windows notify you of available networks.

December 19, 2013 at 9:22 am

Please tell us where in the menu is this “Connection Optimizer” (or whatever it’s called) option generally located on Android smartphones/devices? I used to have an EVO, but now I have an SG3 and it’s doing what this article describes. Thanks in advance.

December 19, 2013 at 9:24 am

Ah, I found it on the SG3:
    Settings > Connections > More networks > Mobile networks > Connections optimizer