AndroidGood and EVOTips & Deals

How to tell if a new phone is too big without leaving your couch

MobileDeviceSize - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

As phones get increasingly big, thanks in no small part to the success of Samsung Galaxy Note line, more consumers are starting to wonder what their personal “too big” threshold really is. And until now, if you wanted to get a good idea of how big a phone would actually be in real life, you had to get up, get dressed, make sure nothing was stuck in between your teeth, and go to a retail store so you could see the phone in person.

Luckily, I happened to stumble upon a website that makes this process much easier, and you can do it from your couch in your pajamas, if you want. Mobile Device Size is a site that allows you to search for any of the most popular current smartphones, enter your computer’s screen size, and get a life-sized image of the phone on your screen.

It’s so simple – and so genius – that I’m truly surprised I haven’t heard of a site offering this until now. And not only is the concept itself really smart, but the fact that there are so many devices you can pick from makes this truly convenient.

So, I looked for a Galaxy Note II and found out that it doesn’t really seem that much bigger than my HTC EVO 4G LTE with a Seidio case on it. I then look at the Nexus 7 for comparison’s sake, held up my own Nexus 7 to make sure that it was accurate (it was), and decided that a Galaxy Note II really isn’t too big for me, like I previously thought.

Ultimately, I’m still sticking with my EVO for the time being, but I am definitely more open to these bigger screens now. And to think, I was able to do all of this without even leaving my living room.

[Mobile Device Size]

John F

11 thoughts on “How to tell if a new phone is too big without leaving your couch

• Very useful, love it – thanks for sharing

they don’t have the EVO 4G LTE on there… blasphemy!

• Inaccurate when viewed on my 47″ screen.

• I will check it out Patrick (developer of mobiledevicesize.com)

• EVO 4G LTE will be added in a few moments. Thanks

• Patrick it works on our side. Of course I will triple check it again. It might be caused from browser zoom or being unable to read the size of the screen properly. You can contact me at info [at] mobiledevicesize.com and I can ask you a few questions that might be helpful to help us solve your issue. Thanks for your feedback.

• Actual size on large screens issue fixed.

Patrick, I find the problem. We were testing it on a 32″ display and other lower size displays, and indeed over 38″ the image didn’t change. We fixed it in the code and lower the slider minimum limit, so now you can see it correctly on your 47″ screen and on larger screens. Thank you very much for pointing this out!

• Even if it feels too big at first you can get used to a 5.5″ Phone. First time I held the note to my ear I felt so ridiculous, it felt almost as if I was holding a 7″ tablet. I wanted to give it a try anyway but after a few days I got used to it and it doesn’t feel big anymore. Now every other phone feels too small, especially the iPhone. it feels like a little toy. And I have small hands too, I’m only 5 1/2 feet tall. I still think that the perfect size for a phone should be 5″, like the DNA.

• Now if I could only generate 3D models complete with cases to see how much some of these behemoths will stretch out my pockets.

• Think this is a great idea. I think having a ruler is a good idea. Turn your hand palm up whilst resting your arm on a table or desk. Let your fingers fall naturally open. Get the ruler and measure the distance between your thumb and little finger (without stretching.) For me this is 11 cm. Using the ruler push the thumb away, you should quickly feel a little bit of strain/resistance. For me this is at 12.5 cm. This tells me that I shouldn’t use a device one-handed which is more than 12.5 cm otherwise I will get pain in my hand after using the device for a while. 11 cm is the best for me. Of course weight will also affect this, but as a simple guide should help you see that though you may hold a device, it won’t be comfortable for long.
    So I won’t want to have any tablet wider 12.5 cm. iPad Mini and Galaxy Note 8.0 are both to wide for me. Hope the above helps.