AndroidGood and EVO

Seeing eHRPD as your Sprint network type? LTE might soon follow

1362428495748 - for some reason we don't have an alt tag hereIf you’re on Sprint, happen to be poking around your device, and notice that the mobile network type shows as eHRPD followed by a number, the tower your phone is speaking with has received a software upgrade to handle LTE/EVDO handoffs.

In Android, you can view this by going to Settings > About > Network. (I don’t have an iDevice handy at the moment to see what the method is there.)

While this doesn’t mean for certain you’re getting LTE, it does indicate that some of the legwork has been done and that somewhere near you there hopefully should be LTE popping up soon.

To reiterate, the software upgrade can evidently be done without any of the LTE hardware being installed, and it doesn’t mean that you’re on an LTE-capable tower – only that you’re in the vicinity of where a handoff from LTE could occur. So, in other words, this could be getting your hopes up for nothing.

While this is relatively old information as some people have been siting on eHRPD networks for months now, many are seeing LTE pop up now so perhaps there’s hope or a reason to hang on another month if you’re at the end of your rope with Sprint’s 3G network.

Thanks Tyler!

Paul E King

29 thoughts on “Seeing eHRPD as your Sprint network type? LTE might soon follow

I am seeing more and more 4G LTE in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area. It is weak in some areas and better in others. In fact, at my office here in Norfolk I 4G right now, but if I move my phone more than 2 inches to the left (literally) I no longer have 4G, which tells me I am just on the edge of the signal. I am seeing more and more 4G popping up in different places. I have seen a lot of people complaining that they don’t have it yet. All I can suggest is try and be patient. They are working on it.

• At First It Was Showing “CDMA – eHRPD” but After PRI And Profile Update I Did Mins Ago It Changed Now It Says “CDMA – EvDo Rev. A” What That supposed To Mean?

Nothing, it simply means you are connected to a tower that is simply EvDo. I’ve also experienced confirmed eHRPD towers going back to EvDo all on their own. Also if you have the EVO LTE and go into the network settings if you set it to CDMA only it will not pick up eHRPD and wil be limited to EvDo so make sure you’re updates didn’t disable LTE/CDMA mode. But don’t worry as the updates didn’t mess anything up. Try driving around and eHRPD might come back or Sprint may have turned it off for your area. Like I said I saw it on almost every tower and then one day it was gone on EVERY tower. But now in South Florida we’re seeing much more LTE all around. Even my crappy EVO LTE antenna is starting to pick up signals right up there with the iPhone 5!

• Cool mine say it with a number after it…I do get 4g in and out at me casa de me padre. No mine:)

• Eduardo, it mean you should be getting LTE in the future. If thats what you are asking.

Hurrr. Mine still says WiMAX. :D

Just kidding. I know my EVO 3D isn’t an LTE phone. :P

• This has been on my phone for about 6 months now, with no LTE anywhere near me, and no announcements about LTE coming soon. *sigh*

John, looking at the Sensorly maps, it appears LTE is just a hop, skip, and a jump followed by a 212 mile car or bus ride from you..

I have been seeing this and am now getting LTE service in a couple different spots in Portland, OR and surrounding area. Has me pretty excited.

• I checked mine and it just says that I’m going to a different network when my contract is up :P

Hey – mine says get a Samsung Galaxy IV.

Im happy to report that 4G LTE is working smack dab in the middle of a corn field but not in the 1 million+ populated city of Grand Rapids, Michigan which is located directly next door to said corn field. So unless I start dating the farmers daughter, I’ll have to live with Sprint’s dial up 3G speeds…

• Welcome to the party pal….it does look like LTE is being rolled out in mostly boondocks. LOL did see eHRPD so I will have my fingers crossed .

I’ve got CDMA – EvDo rev.A
    i’m near winston salem, nc with an old nextel tower available to upgrade nearby,but haven’t heard anything about sprint upadating to LTE. here?

Matthew, looks like LTE is appearing in Statesville, Salisbury / Spencer, and Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Cary.

Doesn’t look like anything north of Winston Salem yet, well, not in NC anyway

I’ve seen it in a few places around Raleigh/Cary. Woo!!

Check out http://www.sensorly.com/map and plug in your area/sprint/lte – should show you a pretty decent coverage map.

Played with it and the app again today (I’d not used the app a while back because of problems) and discovered LTE over the hill from me.

Updated PRL with no changes…but updated profile and mine now says CDMA – eHRPD

I’m actually showing the new CDMA – eHRPD as well. Hmm.. That would be something. St Louis, MO

• Does anyone know the typical signal radius of an LTE tower? I get a full 6 bars of 4G LTE signal on my Sprint EVO at one location and then nothing from my home a couple of miles away.

Note that the signal strength indicator on your phone is for 1XRTT, which is the voice end of things. Your 4G LTE signal could be crap and the phone would still show 6 bars if you have a strong 1XRTT signal. It would be nice if the 4G icon had a separate signal strength indicator like it did for WiMAX on the EVO 4G and the EVO 3D.

• Hawaii has had ehpd since late last year.
    Lte is still no where to be seen.

Brah…jump ship already…I did with TMo. Way better speeds. Had to absorb ETF, but my monthly is cheaper, and sold my Evo LTE to defray too.

I was 12+ years with Sprint. In the last year speeds just went to kaka. Couldn’t take it anymore. LTE is not gonna make it to Hawaii Nei anytime soon. I bet at least another 18 months to get here. Did not want to pay any longer for a service promised to be “available soon.”

• I have CDMA-eHRPD on my phone right now. This is in the Dayton, OH area. Oh please might god of sprint, let there be LTE after you decided to anally rape us in the WiMAX dept.

• I have been a sprint customer for over 10 years. Every other carrier has 4 G. Still nothing from Sprint and nothing in sight where I’m at. Enough is enough, I’m dropping sprint as soon as my contract is up in a couple of months.

• i have ehrpd in Camden County NJ on my gs3 fast internet and full bars doesn this mean 4lte soon???? they have upgraded the cabinets to smaller ones which is NV and new antenna are up

Same in Lansing