AndroidGood and EVO

Happy HTC One day!

HTC One - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

Today is the day that so many of you have been waiting for: the HTC One is now officially available online and in retail stores across the nation, including AT&T, Sprint, Best Buy, Radio Shack, Walmart, Target, Amazon, Costco, Car Toys, Sam’s Club, HSN.com, and HTC.com.

Standard pricing is $199.99 for the 32GB version at AT&T and Sprint, or $299.99 for the 64GB version, which is currently an AT&T exclusive.

To mark the occasion, HTC has also released the kernel source code for the HTC One at HTCdev.com. This is a notable departure from the past, when HTC would typically wait for weeks to release the code. This will allow developers to begin working on custom kernels, which should hopefully fuel a lot of third-party development and thus satisfy the flashing and hacking needs of all you tinkerers out there.

In the meantime, let us know if you’re getting the HTC One, and what your first impressions are.

John F

37 thoughts on “Happy HTC One day!

So, this being said, has there been any official news from Sprint that the Evo line is now ended? This is ok, not a problem, but what would be a problem is if the One comes out and then an Evo variant is developed as well to add to the staggering line up of Android phones, and in specific HTC.

• At this point, after reading tons of reviews on both phones, I’m going to wait and see what deals come about on the Galaxy S4. I went to preorder from HTC today with the pre-order deal but I guess I missed it (expired yesterday) so HTC said $224 from them with Sprint 2 year extension. If HTC ONE is $199 list, but can be had for $129 on newegg. Hopefully the S4 will have some deals in the sub $150-$200 range with re-upped contract.

I’m kinda pissed I missed the pre-order HTC deal. The HTC-Hero was actually on the list for the $100 trade in deal. (I knew I kept that thing for something). Then I would still have my perfectly good Evo 4g as a backup. Oh well.

I’m leaning toward GS4, even though they both seem like great phones. I’m just used to swapping batteries and SD cards I guess. I don’t care how a phone looks since its always in the most drop resistant case I can find.

• Mine just arrived 20 minutes ago. On the charger now. Feels kinda like Christmas morning and St. Swithens day all rolled in to one. (And I’m glad I kept my wife’s old Hero!)

• Posting from my new baby now, love it so far :)

• Went to Best Buy to buy and get the $50 gift card for signing up and guess what? They did not want my money!! The guy said no “I can’t sell it to you because I did not pre order it”. Then they wonder why they have money problems.

Anyways walked into a Sprint store and they took my money and I walked out with a silver one. Which is the pretty awesome, the blink feed thing is not annoying. The lock button is not too small and I can tell which way its facing when I take it out of my pocket. Goes to show that Phil from android central reviews on phones are not my favorite (that’s the nicest way I can say it).

• Man I want one of these soooooo bad, wish I had an update soon….argh. but guess I’ll wait for a year or maybe I’ll have to buy one straight out!!!

• I know my upgrades not due till January but I can pay to upgrade early if I can sell my evo. So newegg has it for 129 for sprint? will Best Buy match that? because I think they said since I’m a member of phone freedom I save an extra $50.

• You most likely won’t be able to get an upgrade through anyone but your carrier with the early upgrade option – you can’t just pay Sprint’s early upgrade fee and buy the phone off Wirefly, for example, it’s through Sprint only.

You could sell your old phone and buy one outright from one of these sites or Best Buy, but it’s a no-go early upgrading through other retailers.

I paid an ETF then got the LTEvo off wirefly last year…pretty pricey, but it was worth it haha

Best Buy doesn’t match internet prices. Tried to do the same thing with my Note 2.

• The ONE is a ZERO for me..

I really need a new phone… but I’m going to wait and see what happens not only with the G4 but wait and see if the EVO line is fully and completely dead. The only ONE I would consider is if the 64GB model comes to Sprint. As I have said before the most critical feature is the microSD card slot.

• I thought that at first, but then I realized I bought a 32 gb card when I bought my EVO 3D with only 1gb internal, and I never once took it out. I do miss the option of a removable battery, but the phone really is beautiful.

Of course, the sdslot could be important to you depending on how you use the device, so I hope you find a phone that works well for your needs.

• I’m going to agree with that especially with sprints horrible network speeds.

Hopefully the EVO line is not dead and a worthy successor will appear this summer.

• Will a new Evo boost sprint’s network speed? Don’t think so.

Me too but I love the boom sound, detest no 64gig on sprint or sd card

• I’m a little disappointed, I went by a Sprint Store in Arlington, Texas today and found out that only 4 sold out of that store yesterday. Where is the buzz, frenzy, hype, or television commercials regarding this phone? I will more than likely will still buy it, but a little ticked off!!!

I’ve seen a few commercials. They seem to be hyping the sound of the speakers without headphones. I’m sticking with my Note II for now though. I’m done with HTC for a bit.

I’m with you as well. The one looks beautiful but not quite enough to pull me away from my note 2. The speakers are quite a draw, but my notes speakers are pretty loud too. Also the removable battery is a big plus for me.

• What city are you in?I’m in Dallas,Tx.
    I checked with another store and they sold only one.

• i just paid yesterday $249.99 plus $12.00 shipping for HTC ONE from HTC because i work for an indirect sprint dealer, just have to wait 2 weeks…plus they are including a double dip case…plus i trade in my EVO LTE for $250.00 from HTC and i don’t have to sign a 2 year contract…so all and all i get a free phone…i’ll give HTC another try, love the front facing speakers

• HTC gave you the $$? 250?

• Stopped today at Sprint to check it out… Pass.
    I think I am done with HTC, after the EVO LTE, EVO 4G, and many other models before.
    I think Samsung is the safe bet here… Switching to the S4 as soon as I can.
    Sorry HTC… Too little, too late. WAY too late.

• So a plastic phone, horrible whites, scrappy speaker, and wonderful new software that saves you from hitting the pause button while watching a show convinced you otherwise? Here is the real killer – Samsungwants an extra fifty bucks from a normal upgrade price for that recycled s3 with a few new internals and software updates… And people say HTC are the ones copying Apple, sad

I’ll have to disagree with you here. Samsungs speakers are really good. Sure they don’t have two, but they are really Impressive. Also I’ve begun to notice how much more reliable Samsung is with updates. Sure the one is beautiful, but customer service, and software really make Samsung better IMO.

• For me, I need stability and reliability first, and HTC has not delivered on that as of late. Even this morning, I had to restart my phone, because it was overheating, due to a known issue with the EVO LTE and Google Maps, else it would kill my battery in 2 hours.
        As for the speakers, I don’t watch a lot of video on my phone. I have it more for life and business needs, not entertainment.
        I do not feel that the whites are bad in any way on the Samsung, but I admit the ONE has a superior screen.
        But the aluminum body? You can have it. The plastic (poly carbonate) is much more durable long term. But if the plastic back DOES break, just replace it. Same with the battery. The non-removable aluminum back will show more scratches, dent easily, and add more weight. And, that shell is uncomfortable to hold, in my opinion.
        That said, the HTC ONE is a fantastic phone, but not for me.
        Again, I am going with the Samsung over HTC, for the first time in over 10 years, and I stand by my decision.

• Forgot to mention that the S4 has gorilla glass 3 (first phone to have it)

Rocking the ONE in Spring Hill TN Loving it. I was the first ONE to get called from the store when they opened. Im never the first ONE. LOL

I want to know how to get HTC to but my phone for $250!
    C’mon details…

• it’s part of the trade in to get the HTC ONE for $249.99 for employees of indirect sprint dealers…after i receive the HTC ONE i have 30 days to send my EVO LTE back with the return
      shipping label they provide, they will check my phone and send me a check for $250.00.

I got mine on Friday. Best Buy is horrible. I had a preorder even. They were suppose to call when it comes in… never did. Called them up… they didn’t even know what the phone was. Then they found the phones and were like.. oh.. they are just chillin here with no names or anything on it. I only went there for the $50 gift card. I was dreading doing the upgrade and everything turning out ok the whole day. When I finally came in.. everything worked perfectly. Got my $50 and my phone. I heard the speakers were good.. but was still surprised when I actually heard them.. wow. Sense is fast. I wasn’t too fond of the blink feed yet.. in fact I haven’t even tried it much. But I was able to make my home screen different.. plus they still have the old flip clock widget.. which is nice cause I still like it :) The best part about this.. I still get $100 from the HTC trade thing. They are giving me $100 for my Motorola Q9c..that’s been sitting in my closet for 3 years…that’s worth like $5. I couldn’t believe it was on the trade in list. So my phone is essentially $50. Can’t beat that for this beast. Much much better than my EVO LTE. This phone isn’t slow.. and not as buggy..as far as I have noticed from using it so far. I’m really happy I went with the ONE. While I was waiting around for everything to get done.. I was playing around with the Samsungs. Definitely feel cheap.. and the screens just don’t compare to HTC.. especially the ONE. This screen is absolutely beautiful. Sense is also still much better. Obviously this is all matter of opinion. Just my thoughts on things :)

• I don’t understand why anyone would buy the phone from anywhere but newegg.com unless you want it right away. You can’t beat $129.99 with upgrade, new line, etc.

My Contact at the local Sprint store reports they only sold 8 on opening Day and 9 on the Day after and havent reported any new sales for the remaining days, I believe people are waiting for something else.

[email protected] store only received three units. So it may have something to do with the amount of inventory.

• This phone is a monster. I especially love how under-hyped the sprint version is. ZERO carrier branding and bloatware from sprint’s One, no idea how/why they won’t use this as a marketing tool.

• I can’t belive their aren’t 200 comments on here for HTC 1…lol

• I guess everyone is still eating that sucker bait 2nd ,3rd , and forth time ….lol

• Wow. Its so annoying that they named this the “htc one” ..
    When searching for accessories anywhere I get results for all the other version of “htc one x”..
    Worst name choice ever..
    Is there a model number or nickname so we can search for related items easily?