AndroidFeaturesGood and EVO

Reader question: Who has switched from Sprint to Verizon or AT&T?

Verizon and ATTPocketables reader Joe recently wrote in to ask how many of you have made the jump from Sprint to one of the Big Two – Verizon or AT&T. Like many readers who have stuck with us since the days of the original HTC EVO 4G, he’s experiencing terrible data speeds that just don’t seem to get better, even after LTE upgrades.

Here’s his question, in its entirety:

I hate Verizon and AT&T.  Every time I have ever needed to call Sprint for anything, I have always been pleasantly surprised at the service I’ve received. That being said, I live in Los Angeles, where the 4G LTE rollout has officially launched.  The service is incredibly spotty.

I understand more towers are being upgraded, but the 3G is pretty much unusable. I am curious to know how many Pocketables community members have made the switch to AT&T or Verizon. Is the cost, which is probably more per month, worth the headache of dealing with them?

I like the flexibility of Sprint, and the unlimited data, although I always fluctuate in the 2 – 2.5GB/month range. I wonder if you’d throw it out there for feedback.

So, dear readers, it’s time for you to step up to the plate and offer him some advice. If you’ve made the jump yourself, what have your experiences been like? Have you been pleased with the results, or do you long for Sprint once more?

Sound off below – and happy weekend!

John F

50 thoughts on “Reader question: Who has switched from Sprint to Verizon or AT&T?

• Sticking with Sprint. I only live about 20 miles from the Sprint Campus so I’ve had LTE basically since it was introduced. And never had a problem with customer service.

• Thats great if you never leave your area

• I typically get awesome 4G and talk service in the entire Kansas City area…. But I won’t argue that it sucks when I’m outside the area

• I finally reached my breaking point with Sprint after 13 years and too many empty 4G promises. But I went to T-Mobile, not Verizon or AT&T. I live in Phoenix, and I have no regrets at all about my decision.

• Same here in Detroit. T-Mobile. I will never look back. I was with Sprint for 12 years, four lines. Very pleased now.

• I would leave sprint in a heartbeat, but I am stuck in contract until next November. Since the 3g speed is so bad in my area I am strongly considering paying the ETF and moving to AT&T.

• AT& T is horrible, dropped calls and no coverage in areas. Customer service is the worst. I am paying the ETF to get out of a contract over a year early. My daughter is in Americorps NCCC and is without coverage for 4 weeks in California, a few members on the team have Verizon she called me yesterday, fantastic coverage. Her phone is useless for a month, so glad we got that 4G coverage for her before she left for 10 months. You may want to check verizon they seem to always have coverage.

• Switched to big red back in Feb. and haven’t looked back. I have yet to not have coverage or 4g. I couldn’t wait any longer, no improvement and prices kept going up, enough is enough.

• Switched to Verizon last November after 13 years with Sprint. One of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

• I left after many years with Sprint and went to Solavei (on the T-mobile network). I use about 2+ gigs a month and the service has been a big improvement. Sprint’s customer service was always good, but I’m saving a good chunk of money each month and getting a better signal in downtown Washington, DC on a Nexus 4.

I’m actually leaving Sprint next weekend when my contract is up. I’m going to T-Mobile, though. I know, for a fact, that I get better data speeds around my area with T-Mobile. Their HSPA+ is at least 4-6 times faster than Sprint’s 3G (it’s basically on par with WiMAX, but uses much less battery), plus LTE is on the horizon. Their prices are also substantially better and I appreciate that their plans are more transparent that Sprint’s (or others). I’m actually trading up my wife’s OG EVO 4G for a $100 gift card from HTC (it pushed me over the edge to switch immediately).

My wife is getting an HTC One. I bought a second hand international Galaxy Nexus, which was at a great price. I didn’t grab a Nexus 4 because I plan on getting the next released Nexus phone and didn’t want to feel bad about replacing the N4 so soon. Also, I didn’t want a glass back phone, and the G’Nex is actually still an upgrade to my EVO 3D (higher resolution and bigger screen, slightly higher performing CPU and GPU, and of course stock Android out of the box with TONS of custom ROM options).

• Also an Angeleno and left Sprint for T Mobile (and a Nexus 4) a couple weeks ago. T Mobile isn’t *great* here but it beats the hell out of Sprint (at least in LA) and no problems so far. What’s nice is you can get on their fifty dollar unlimited / no contract plan and drop them any time. If you’re pulling the mass of data down off wifi (as I do) this is a really nice option.

• I am in LA area (San Fernando Valley). I switched to TMo. Saving $50 per month, better data speeds, I win!

• Been a Sprint customer for 13 years also. Tied in contract for 2 yeats anyways. No 4GLTE here, just WiMax which was cool when I had my Evo 3d but since I have had the Evo 4GLTE and now the HTC One. Was kinda pointless, not only that I have WiFi at work and both home anyways. So it’s not a big deal for me. 3g here is alright not the best . I’m in Rocklin, CA. Was thinking about switching to another company like Verizon but the news with them yesterday has made me doubt my decision in making the final move. I receive a 25% discount and I know Verizon would be more but at would be cool to have 4G LTE.

• Dealing with sprint’s slow/nonexisting service isn’t headache enough for you? I went to VZW. I pay a little more, but ya know its worth it. Whats the point of paying less for something u can’t even use! I get FAST 4g almost everywhere. If it even drops to 3g its still faster than sprint’s

• Ten year sprint customer in S. Florida. … After my wife dropped her phone in the pool we were facing a hundred dollar copay to get an old phone refurb… Paid the etf and left to T-mob… That took about 2 days to realize they were full of it in their coverage maps. Switched over to Verizon and very happy so far. Coverage is TONS better. No comment on customer service yet. Monthly bill is about 8 bucks a month more than sprint would have been with Sprint (with 6GB LTE shared vs unusable “unlimited” 3G)

super happy… Although it’s a shame because I just heard that sprint is putting up new towers and we should see 4g “in just a couple more weeks”. ;)

• After 10+ years of being with Sprint, I finally left! I had the airwave in my house to help out, but even then the service sucked! I hated text messages not being sent!!!! Of course they can offer truly unlimited data because you can’t get ANY!!!! Service really sucked! Dropped calls, downloads took FOREVER even on 4G, battery on the phone never lasted because it was always roaming! Traveling around the US was hit or miss with reception.

I moved over to Verizon and was immediately floored! I could download attachments like nothing! I did a speedtest when I walked out the door and got 42.54Mbps down and 12.13Mbps up! The S3 on Sprint on 4G got 5Mbps down and 500K up! The best thing I’m like also about Verizon is I can go into a building and still have 4G!!!! With Sprint, that was impossible! I have nothing bad to say about Verizon yet!

• Ting! Just made the switch, and although I’m still on sprints network, the wait for lte isn’t quite as bad when you’re only paying $48 a month for two lines.

I was a Sprint customer for about 10 years and finally reached my breaking point with extremely bad voice and data. I made the switch to T-Mobile and now pay less for unlimited talk, text and data plus I am no longer bound by a 2 year contract! I have Fast speeds, HD voice and calling over wifi at work when I have no signal two stories below ground! I don’t have anything negative to say about T-Mobile after two months!

• I switched to T-Mobile. I now have better data speeds (HSPA+), access to Nexus phones, better pricing options, and I can finally buy my phones outright and not pay double. It’s been a couple of months now and no regrets.

• I left 2 weeks ago and went to Verizon. I have 4g almost everywhere I go. Honestly I have only see the 3g icon on my phone 2 times! That’s about opposite of Sprint where I only saw my 4g a few times a day. DFW has a marginal 4g network on sprint but with Verizon it is saturated! Better call quality and faster download speeds. Wish I would have switched much sooner. Was with Sprint for about 17years!

• left Sprint after 16 years because of the network problems… HTC One on AT&T … amazing speeds, superior customer service, bill is a little more, but now I actually get what I pay for. No regrets…and yes, I even paid the ETF to leave. Worth every dollar… leave them now and don’t look back!

:/ gee overwhelming majority here leaving sprint. 10yrs with Sprint where I currently live, in a basement apartment, only a sprint service gets a signal, my brother is with AT&T, daughter is with big red, friend with tmo. None of them get a signal! I’m considering a moving to San Diego shortly. I’ll test sprint service there in July. Then maybe I might give up my Evo for for an S4. So from the sticks of nh to the sunny shore of San Diego, I’ll see what’s up. Anyone from the San Diego area?

• Spent over 2 years listening to Sprint’s empty promises of 4g coverage with WiMAX and now lte. They can’t get there act together enough for me to stay so I finally left for verizon. I miss my evo and what it could do but when your not near wifi it’s just a brick with games on it. No coverage at all. Now I get 4g lte everywhere, even inside. I miss the unlimited plan but I figure what is the use of unlimited if you never got it at all. Like going to a buffet and paying all that money but just getting the salad bar. No point.

I did switch to Verizon. Service in Philadelphia is terrible. Still waiting for LTE, there is some coverage but not much. And 3G is the slowest I have ever experienced.
    Took a vacation to the Florida Keys last month and where we were staying we had signal on one side of the road but not the other.
    In Philly since they started to implement LTE I had to turn roaming off which does not help…but with roaming I would receive call from unknown people, and when I would dial a number I usually was getting a different area code.
    I was very patient… but everything has a limit

• When the new Iphone comes out I’m leaving.Sprint is always down for a year and a half they told me the towers are down.The fastest speed I can get is 0.04 download.Verizon has 4G is in my area AT&T is 3G but way faster then Sprint.

• I switched from Sprint to AT&T. My only regret is not doing it sooner. We get amazing 3g speed in areas where we couldn’t even get a signal on Sprint. And in areas that had a slow Sprint “LTE” signal, we get incredible LTE speed on AT&T.

• Sprint has the crappiest network of all the major carriers. I have had about three devices with them so far and my experience with Sprint has been just deteriorating over time. A smartphone without a good data connection is pointless, and that is the case with Sprint. On almost every trip that I have taken out of town and have had to use my phone for directions, navigation or lookup places it’s been a total disappointment, and so many of those time I almost threw the device at the wall. Long story short I’m leaving Sprint the day my contract is over.

I had Sprint for more than 11 years and went to AT&T. Living in an area (Atlanta) that is supposed to have good coverage but yet I was still roaming in places inside the city. The data speeds were crap and made it pointless to have unlimited data when there was no way to effectively use it.

At my house, I had to get an Airwave 2 and then a 2.5 just to have cell service. Every time the Internet went out, so did cell service.

I was 6 months into my contract and told Sprint that since I was paying for a service that was not usable, I am not paying the ETF. I ended up sending my phones and Airwave back also.

AT&T is about $30 more per month but it works everywhere I go. LTE that actually works…

• I took the leap and went to ATT. I went from barely having a 3g signal to LTE at my house. My wife can now receive MMS at her work, wbich is a huge leap. I can actually listen to Pandora or my Google Play Music without it skipping. My phone displays 4g more often than my Evo Og displayed 3g.

• After 11 years it has become hard to defend Sprints service. I live in San Diego and in some areas its okay but at my home and work it’s at its worst like many have commented. With 5 lines, ETF’s are the only thing keeping me from moving to another carrier.

• Ill be clear and short. I left sprint not for service value. Left it because theres no 4G in my area and 3G was too slow. So i bought a Gnex on ebay and went to Vz month to month. After 6 months of horrendous customer service by Vz i left and got me a Nexus 4 from google play and got me that $30 plan from Tmo.
    H+ is just as fast as Vz LTE. I dont care who says opposite, but in real world i see no lag with H+ and downloads are just as fast. Oh yes, and i get more coverage indoors and more reliable. Vz LTE drops the moment u walk into a building.

• Same here, jumped ship in December 2012 to VZW. I can’t be any happier with my decision, the only thing I regret is not doing the switch 2 years ago. I don’t know about customer service because I haven’t had any reason to call them. I’m sharing 6GB data with 3 phones, I’m really not a data hog, I’m most of the time on wifi, but those little moments when I’m sitting in a waiting room and I want to grab my phone and start surfing the web or watching some videos, and being able to do so are priceless. Being able to stream my music while driving home and not cutting off are priceless to me. For everything else there’s sprint. lol.

• oh and about my bill, I’m paying the same for 3 lines as I was paying with sprint; except that I don’t have unlimited data, but that really meant nothing because 3G is literally unusable here in Phoenix.

• im on sprint cause i have a family plan… for 15 years. my mom pays the bill cause im in debt over student loans. the service is so bad, i want to get another line on my own with another carrier and pay for it AND NOT TELL HER I HAVE IT just so i can have usuable service .

Had Sprint for 12 years and had 5 phones with family plan. I switched to Verizon when the Note 2 came out. My familys phones are up in October and will put them on Tmobile. Heard there service is really good around my area. Plus with Tmobiles new plans are worth putting them on there. If its thats good and they like it I might switch to them when my Verizon contract is up. I too was annoyed with Sprints broken promises and lack of 4g n 4g lte in NY. Also when iPhone came out for Sprint is when my family n I noticed 3G speeds dwindled down to crappy ass speed n took forever to look at a website n send a picture message. I’m glad I switched!!!

• From Sprint to Ting. Same service, much cheaper, and didn’t have to buy a new phone or lock into a contract. Love it

• I went for the OG Evo a couple months after release, absolutely loved the phone and still use it daily as a media player. I live in Phoenix and was extremely excited about the “WIMAX” that was “on the way”. Of the two years I had the Evo I was able to use WIMAX twice, once in Chicago, once in Seattle. Upon returning to Phoenix (5th largest city in the US I think) I ended my time with sprint as soon as my contract was up. Went to best buy, and was using Verizon’s 4G LTE before walking out the door. Best decision ever. I was able to get on a family plan with my sister, I pay 30 dollars less per month for Verizon. If you can do a family plan, go for it.

I to made the jump from sprint to att couldnt be more happy I should have done this a long time ago. I was so excited to gey 4g lte I didn’t no how to act lol. Also I was on sprint website every one and they momma is trashing sprint for the same reason crappy service so I guess the people who run this sprint website says to the people complainig that if our service is so bad y do we have 52 million customers… lmao…. I found that hard to believe that sprint has 52 million customers

• I switched from Sprint to AT&T last November, and I’ve been very happy so far. I got a new job where I travel a lot (mostly driving), and Sprint just wasn’t cutting it in some of the places I have to go. My company phone is a T-mobile Curve, and coverage is a total joke. I also have a company AT&T 3G iPad, so I set up a little test when I was drive though the mountains of West Virginia and Kentucky. I had them all set out on my front seat and looked at the bars in various locations. AT&T held on much longer than Sprint and T-Mobile did. I’m sure Verizon would be good as well, but about 50% more expensive.

I had Sprint for about 8 years before I took off. Just wasn’t getting the speed or coverage I need (3G was miserable, and the WiMax sucked down my power – no LTE around most of my markets).

• I’m one of those crazy people who switched from Verizon to Sprint. Verizon has capped data, and it has been driving me insane. Sprint has great coverage in the Hampton Roads area, where I stay 90% of the time. Whenever I’m out of my area, voice is always there because Sprint roams on the Verizon network. Data is limited to 300MB so I only use roaming data in dire situations such as GPS, etc. Sprint = cheaper, more data allotment, less shady practices.

I was thinking of T-Mobile, but their radio frequencies have terrible, and I mean oh-my-sweet-baby-jesus terrible, wall penetration. So once you step into a building, there goes your service. Might as well be a cell blocker. I’d rather not have to make all my calls outside. I do admire T-Mobile though, just wish they would jump to a better radio technology.

Hate sprint. 5 phones, $280/mo, Chicago suburbs. HTC One phone does not work right, 4g spotty, cuts out. Just got a sprint notice on faster speeds but couldn’t read it because they have s server error! $750 etf. Customer 10+ yrs. Reading these comments because I want to switch to att or verizon.

• Loyal Sprint customer for 20+ years. I think I’m a legacy customer. I’ll be switching to VZW this afternoon. I’ve been growing more and more frustrated and dissatisfied with Sprint service & coverage for about a year now. I kept giving them the benefit of the doubt, seeing the potential they have. But the more I travel out of the area, the more I noticed how much was lacking. The nail in the coffin happened the other night. I hiked up to the top of Cowles Mountain (the highest point in San Diego proper). I took a picture and uploaded it to Facebook. At least, I tried to. The HIGHEST point in the entire city and I got ZERO data access!!! I had good voice, but no data. I understand they’re supposedly working on the towers in the area, but I can’t be sure of it. It could be my phone, too. But regardless, coverage is bad during travel and non-existant in certain parts of the city, both L.A. and San Diego. I’ve had it.

I’m sorry it came down to this. I’m going to lose my 20% discount with Sprint and unlimited everything. I’m going to convert two of my lines to Pay As You Go and get a 2Gb data plan. That will put me back at where I was paying at Sprint. I’ll have to purchase a new phone, too (Galaxy 4S), but other than a lot of money up front, I can only look forward to improved service.

I will be leaving Sprint shortly. I have been loyal to them for over 10 years. I was on the SERO plan and now it looks like I have to upgrade my plan if I get a new phone. I don’t use a lot of data now so I am not sure why I would stay with sprint when I can move to Verizon or AT&T for a few dollars more (on 2Gig plans) than what Sprint is offering. I have a galaxy s2 currently and NEVER get wimax coverage and lately even the 3g has been dropping. I live in Glendale CA where I should have good coverage. I am not willing to wait for the LTE build out. My delimma is really between AT&T and Verizon now and I am leaning towards the Droid Mini on Verizon. I am also tired of all the phones going LARGER. If I want a larger screen I’ll teather my tablet.

I was on Verizon for about 10 years starting in 1994 back in the analog days. I had great service on my ancient flip phone, no data, no texting. I went with a Family Plan on Sprint 5 years ago, and have been pretty happy with it because I was saving about $130/month vs Verizon. HOWEVER, Sprint has increased their fees such that I can now move my 6 phones to Verizon and only pay about $60 more a month. My contract is up in 4 weeks; I can hardly wait.

I live in a well-populated suburb of Salt Lake City, in a WiMax dead zone. The 3G data in my area is frequently at sub-modem speed. Yes, I frequently test out at near 1-second pings, and 12 kbps.

Sure you get unlimited data with Sprint, but it’s so slow, it’s unusable. We average about 2GB/month with our 6 phones. I’ll be purchasing a 10GB block of data from Big Red when I go. I know where Verizon’s coverage is because I roam on it quite frequently as a Sprint customer. That’s great for voice, but terrible for data.

Sorry Sprint. You’ve raised your prices so high that it’s just not worth the drained batteries (from weak Sprint signals) and not having data when I need it.

I have Sprint. I heard good and bad things about both Verizon and AT&T. I lost my patience with Sprint and the bogus things they give me. I live in California and I barely get coverage. I am interested in paying the ETF and jumping to Verizon ASAP. They have better connection and service.

Contract finnaly up with third rate Sprint service ( very losely said ) . 12 years from great to no bars and dropped calls. Data only a little bit faster than the postal service . Hello Verizon .

I was on VZW for years with few issues (unlimited everything). 4 months ago, I decided to try this new service through Republic Wireless (wifi calling/texting with Sprint service when no wifi available). I ran the two phones side by side for a month before deciding to make the switch. RW is a great concept but the equipment (Motorola Defy XT) isn’t very good. So…I switched back to VZW and reactived my Droid3 which had been sitting in a desk drawer the entire time. I now have horrible service on VZW.

When I activate it, it has 3G with 4 bars. Once it’s activated, I drop to 1X or lose signal entirely. There are a few places I get spotty 3G service. I pursued this through VZW techs and did a factory reset on the Droid3 last night. Same thing – 3G while activating…then drops.

I’m in a rare situation where I’m actually going to go from VZW to SPRINT for the coverage!!

VZW denies it but I think the month-to-month folks might be second-class citizens to VZW. I don’t know what else it could be. The phone had 3G with 3-4 bars consistently 4 months ago and I’m going to all the same places and taking the same route to work.

I was told I simply need to upgrade my device….I’ll bet.

BTW – I reactivated with VZW on a month-to-month since I already had a phone.

• Blah, I switch to Sprint and now that there new Network is nearing completion, it pretty much destroy every other carrier here in coverage and speed. My Nexus 5 has Sprint Spark capability and it’s ultra fast