Dirty Unicorns ROM rolls out big updates for the HTC EVO 4G, EVO 3D, EVO 4G LTE

Team DIRT's Dirty Unicorns with HaloTeam D.IR.T’s Dirty Unicorns AOSP/AOKP project has been updated with a wide variety of new features that are all available on the original HTC EVO 4G, the EVO 3D, and the EVO 4G LTE.

Among the new and notable features are Ribbon, the ParanoidAndroid hybrid settings, the PIE launcher, navigation rings, and the ParanoidAndroid Halo bubble/floating multitasking mod. You can see an example of the Halo mod (pop up multitasking) in the image on your right, and I’ll be covering each of the features in more detail later on.

Skater XL Console Mod Trailer

The ROM also includes multi-user mode on a phone. This is something I’ve been wanting in a phone ROM for a long time (it existed in tablet ROM versions). Multi-user mode allows you to configure your phone however you want, and then give it to your eight-year-old niece or nephew with their own profile without having to worry that they can touch, uninstall, or mess with any of your application data.

The OG EVO and EVO 3D have a couple of hardware limitations, but the EVO 4G LTE appears to be completely functional; a few pokes at the developers will probably get more attention to the older EVO hardware.

The ROM, being based on AOSP, AOKP, PA, requires you to flash both the ROM and the 4.2.2 GAPPS package if you want to use the Play Store or any of Google’s services. But if you’re not interested in those, you can flash and run an absurdly stripped-down Android Jelly Bean ROM.

You can find the development thread for the EVO 4G here, the EVO 3D here, and the EVO 4G LTE here.

I also understand that CyanogenMod privacy mods  have been baked into the newest EVO 3D version, but I can’t confirm that at the moment. Also, according to the developer, this is now also available for the “GNEX (all three….Maguro, Toro, Toroplus), NEXUS 4, HTC One, Droid Razr, Samsung Fascinate and SGS3,” so if you’ve got any of those you can flash a pretty neat featured ROM.

As a side note, in case you’re wondering about the image here, that’s a web browser running in Halo over Ingress. I wanted to show that you could pop in and out of text messages and check notifications, but that”s really not evident in a single photo. I’m planning on doing a short video on this feature later.

become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

Paul E King

11 thoughts on “Dirty Unicorns ROM rolls out big updates for the HTC EVO 4G, EVO 3D, EVO 4G LTE

July 2, 2013 at 9:20 am

Evidently I was hitting publish instead of save draft… finishing up the thing now

July 2, 2013 at 12:58 pm

why don’t any of these roms support Wi-Max? :(

July 2, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Pretty sure he’s had it before… hey Alex – any plans for WiMax?

July 2, 2013 at 2:32 pm

For what device are you asking for Wimax? If you’re asking about the EVO 3D then it does have support for Wimax :)

If is the EVO 4G then I’m afraid if you want wimax, you need to flash a GB AOSP ROM or Sense. Is something that I myself have tried to get working as well as many talented minds such as preludedrew and jmztaylor to name a few and is just not possible….

For any more questions on what works and doesn’t work…check the threads as a lot of these questions have already been answered :)

Thanks!

July 3, 2013 at 4:44 am

evo 4g. the original gangsta’ :). thanks for info!

July 2, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Alex, I have tried some AOSP/AOKP ROMs in the past on my Evo 4G LTE. I loved the speed and experience but I always ran into one major issue that I couldn’t rectify no matter what I tried after researching at XDA:

GPS would lock in Google Nav, then be lost, then re-lock, then be lost.

Does your ROM solve that issue out of the box? If so, I am ready to start a nandroid of my current setup in preparation of a ROM load.

Thanks for all the dev work btw!

July 2, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Funny that you highlight this ROM. Been running it for a few days. Enjoying it quite a bit. Got it for Halo. A few issues but people in the XDA forums have been helpful.

July 3, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I have tried numerous times to flash this room and for the life of me, my evo just won’t accept it. I have flashed about a hundred roms and have never had this boot loop happen. Could it be possible that I’m forgetting a step or missing the correct kernel for this? If anyone can help please let me know

July 3, 2013 at 5:45 pm

EVO what? 3D, 4G or 4G LTE??

Also, I would head over to the threads and provide a logcat of the boot loop :)

Saying you’re getting a boot loop without much info doesn’t tell me much dude….

August 14, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I successfully installed DU, but I’m having network issues (network unavailable) where my network used to be good. I’m currently running s-on. Is it possible the not updated hboot and radio are the issue?