Google Maps 7 released, slowly rolling to end users

Google Maps 7 AndroidGoogle Maps 7 for Android has just been released, although it’s not yet available for download for most people due to Google’s staged rollout. The new look of Google Maps is like the old look of Google Maps for iOS, so for those of you who have played around with Google Maps on an iPhone, it’s pretty much that, with a couple minor changes.

Navigation has also been updated, which may be good news for the HTC EVO 4G LTE crowd, since many of us have been having some issues for the past eight months now. I’ll be playing with that tomorrow to see if those affected by the maps issue will finally able to use navigation. Navigation also supposedly has real time re-routing for traffic issues.

Unfortunately, Google Latitude is gone, so no more stalking your friends or knowing your spouse is still at work. Instead, you’ll have to use a similar feature that’s available now in Google+ on mobile.

There are some new swiping gestures you can use to open views, and offline maps are still available but getting to them is not as easy.

If you want to try out the new Maps before it’s available, Android Police has some mirrors up for Android 4.1 and 4.2  apk files. Supposedly other versions will be rolling out soon, but they’re not out just yet.

Playing with the apk I downloaded, Street View is slightly askew, looking stitched together – so no more holding an area to get to Street View (now you hold to drop a pin, then tap the box and view), but that’s no big deal.

2013-07-10 21.46.112013-07-10 21.45.512013-07-10 21.38.232013-07-10 21.37.31

It’s pretty different, but it remains to be seen how well the changes work since I’ve stuck by my old Maps for quite a while now.

Google Maps on the Galaxy Watch 4

Google Maps on Google PlayGoogle Maps 7 is a free update and available for some right now from the download link below. If your version doesn’t show 7+, you can grab an APK download at the links above or wait for a couple of days and it should become available for download to you.

You may want to wait for a bit to install this though. Google has a nasty habit lately of a couple of days of bad app experience while they work the kinks out.

Download: Google Play

become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

Paul E King

16 thoughts on “Google Maps 7 released, slowly rolling to end users

July 11, 2013 at 5:04 am

WHAT, NO MORE LATITUDE!!!!! That was one of the main features I used in google maps. That just pisses me off when an UPDATE removes features. More like an downgrade.

Just Dumb!!!

July 11, 2013 at 7:52 am

I’m about 95% sure this map update will fix the EVO LTE Map issue based on the conversation I had with HTC last week. The QA manager I spoke with said Google had a fix but they were waiting to roll it out in their summer update. (which I am assuming this is it).

July 11, 2013 at 8:41 am

Just updated. Why is the navigation icon gone? I just uninstalled. Evo lte.

July 11, 2013 at 9:46 am

because it’s built into maps now. No need of a separate icon, not that there was much before.

July 11, 2013 at 10:01 am

I like how they’ve made maps look more along the lines of the google now pallete, so far it’s smooth and runs better.

July 11, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I reverted back to OE because of Latitude.. I know it will be gone later but I want to keep it as long as I can. I understand that its going to G+ and that its more of a social thing.. But its not. My wife had a flat this morning and I used Latitude to find her, and Navigate to her. I use it when my inlaws take my kids to make sure that they made it to their house alright. Does anyone know what app i can use in leu of it? I also understand that the APIs will be removed from 3rd party developers so it cant be a Google based app.

July 11, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Google+ was just updated, has a best-available location visibility option

July 11, 2013 at 12:04 pm

….and working great. I brought in my evo lte several times to have navigation fixed. After 6 failed attempts and sprint techs telling me they never heard of the priblem, they gave me a brand new evo white, the problem is solved. They said there must of been a bad batch….now of course a week later there’s an update

July 11, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Ok, something strange happened to me. When I installed this version of maps the home screen no longer goes into landscape mode when I rotate the phone. Some apps continue to go into landscape mode but not the home screen or the app pages. Very strange. HTC EVO LTE that id not have problems with navigation before the update.

July 12, 2013 at 1:56 am

Paul how do I access navigation on this new update?? It was so easy before to be able to drive to a friend’s house from anywhere now that’s gone ?

July 12, 2013 at 7:19 am

open maps
      search the address
      it’ll find it and display it in a white box on the bottom with a car next to it (may change depending on what your last thing was)
      press the car (or bike)
      You’ll see route options
      pick one, navigate icon will show. press it

July 12, 2013 at 7:21 am

only real diff is it gives route options
      trying it out on my phone shortly to make sure the evo fix is there

July 12, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Thanks man. I figured it out & although I like the integration it was nicer to be able to swipe left to access my contacts on a convenient list. You now have to type in a name or at least a few letters to find them. It’s a minor hassle compared to before no biggie now but I can see a lot of users getting confused with how to navigate & learn this new process. Google should of kept the Navigation app, it was only one more icon.

July 18, 2013 at 9:10 am

Anyone who uses maps regularly will not want v7. I installed and uninstalled because:
    1. While in Nav mode you cannot do a search say for gas or anything. You have to back out of Nav, do search, then Nav to it. Etc. Then re Nav your original destination.
    2. There is no Labs, therefore no distance button.
    3. There are no zoom buttons. I use in car with one hand with the buttons. Now you have to use two hands. One to hold phone, the other to pinch zoom in and out. This makes the app more dangerous.
    4. I cannot manually do a alternative route search as I could before.
    5. All of my stars are gone and I don’t believe there is a way to make new stars.
    Pros: I do like the new simpler interface but will refuse to update without these essential features. The new maps is much more dangerous to use in car now.

July 23, 2013 at 3:25 am

Dear Paul,

I can’t drive to a certain coordinate no matter what. I tried copying a coordinate point and Maps gave me the nearest city. Copied the same point to maps online and worked like a charm.

How is it possible that a GPS app have no basic option as to insert Easting, Northing coordinates? Used to work before.. now not

Any ideas???