EditorialsFeaturesGood and EVO

Why I’ve moved on from Sprint and the HTC EVO

goodbye

It’s time to come clean – I have officially given up on HTC, the HTC EVO/HTC One line, and Sprint. It was a long time coming, and many of you have recognized my frustration with both HTC and Sprint for quite a while (you’ve let me know in the comments!). But rather than feel conflicted or sad, I’m more relieved, and I don’t have an ounce of regret.

When the original HTC EVO 4G was released, it was the most powerful smartphone around.

The EVO 4G was the first phone to be updated to Froyo, and it also received the Gingerbread update fairly quickly. Sense was unobtrusive and truly did add value to the overall Android experience on the phone. Additionally, a strong developer community emerged that easily unlocked the bootloader and crafted awesome AOSP ROMs, as well.

When I first started writing for Good and EVO back in 2011 – just one year after the original EVO 4G had been released – I was one of the biggest advocates for Sprint and for the idea of the EVO. Sprint continued to offer unlimited data for a fair price, my employer discount was good, the Sprint Premier program would allow me to update every year, and the 4G WiMAX rollout was chugging along. 3G data was a little slow at times, but I could still use it to stream YouTube videos or Pandora, and it was generally usable most places I went.

Fast forward another year, and it’s clear that things weren’t as rosy as before.

HTC decided to lock down its bootloaders even more, and masquerade as a company that was dev-friendly by opening HTCdev.com. All this accomplished was making users angry, since it was so much harder to truly unlock HTC phones. Software updates no longer came in a timely manner, as seen by the utter fiasco that was the Ice Cream Sandwich update for the EVO 3D. As a result of these and many other blunders, HTC’s stock prices began to fall, as sales declined and end users expressed discontent.

Things weren’t much better for Sprint, either. The nation’s third largest carrier changed the way it calculated discounts, which resulted in what was effectively a rate increase for many people who received employer discounts. Sprint also did away with yearly upgrades, and eventually cancelled the entire Premier program. WiMAX upgrades stopped indefinitely, and then were cancelled as Sprint decided to march forward with LTE. Unfortunately, the LTE rollout slowed and eventually got behind schedule, as Sprint opted to announce the service in more small towns and rural areas, rather than larger populated areas. The 3G network didn’t fare much better, with speeds decreasing, dropped calls increasing, and text messages getting delayed left and right.

My patience started to wear thin.

I personally experienced a period of approximately three months, during which time it was impossible to make phone calls during peak hours; instead, I would always receive a busy signal. Data was unusable; I couldn’t even load a single Facebook page most of the time. The Airave I was sent was defective, and Sprint refused to acknowledge any problems in my area.

After several Sprint reps started getting increasingly rude, talking over me, and not following through on promises to call back, my patience wore thin. All I wanted was phone service that worked – after all, I was throwing over $150 toward Sprint every single month. After fighting the latest round of contract changes, I was eventually released from my contract without having to pay an early termination fee, as long as I agreed to send my two phones back. I was happy to finally be rid of Sprint, so I agreed – even though I still think I should have been able to keep my phones.

I know I will get some angry comments below, and I know that many long time readers will be disappointed in the news that I’ve left Sprint, and I’ve abandoned HTC. I know that my articles have become increasingly biased against Sprint, and to a lesser extent against HTC. I am trying my best to balance my coverage, and I’m still celebrating Sprint’s and HTC’s small victories. But at the same time, Sprint and HTC just weren’t working out for me anymore – and although the grass isn’t always greener on the other side, it is for me this time.

Things have gotten a lot better since I left Sprint and HTC.

For instance, I’m happily enjoying data speeds that approach 20Mbps down and 3Mbps up on T-Mobile’s HSPA+ network – that’s not even LTE! I haven’t had a single dropped call yet, and I’m saving $50/month for two lines. Overall, I’m very satisfied with my decision to leave Sprint.

I’m also very excited about the prospect of being guaranteed timely updates on my LG Nexus 4, which is something HTC is simply not delivering – not to mention the fact that unlocking the bootloader on my Nexus is extremely easy, and doesn’t require that I register anywhere. I haven’t decided yet if I’ll switch my phone out for the new Moto X or the rumored Nexus 5, but I’m definitely sticking with the unsubsidized/no contract option from now on.

Don’t worry; I’ll still follow Sprint and HTC news, and the coverage you’ve come to expect from the new Pocketables isn’t going anywhere, rest assured. In fact, coverage will expand to include even more Android and T-Mobile news, too. I just thought now was time to come clean, and explain more fully my position (along with the reasons why my tone has been slowly changing). Transparency is important – even on tech blogs, which definitely aren’t known for unbiased reporting!

John F

66 thoughts on “Why I’ve moved on from Sprint and the HTC EVO

• I am on Sprint, rocking the evo lte, and cannot wait until my contract is up. I too am jumping ship from HTC and Sprint. T-Mobile looks like the place to go since I too want to go off contract. As of right now, I drop calls left and right and I feel like I have no data plan since I cannot even stream Pandora without excessive buffer times. I can say that I am envious of you right now. Keep us informed on what you think of T-Mobile in the upcoming months.

• Does this mean we get Jenn back ?

• nope, it means you’re stuck with me as the only EVO bearing writing here

Lol, yeah whatever happened to Jenn.

5TH

• I have Sprint an Evo 4G LTE right now and it’s been a truly awful experience from day one. Speeds are terrible, couldn’t even use WI-FI for at least six months until a system update fixed it, a lot of dropped calls, spotty service, lazy LTE rollout, it’s just been a nightmare. HTC’s version of Android really sucks too. Google maps was only fixed very recently and was broken for months, Jelly Bean was a disaster upgrade, Sense is ugly. I hear a lot of good things about T-Mobile and I think I know where I’m going after next summer.

• Good points about the navigation issue. I never experienced it myself, so I forgot to mention that in the article – but it’s yet another reason why I don’t feel bad at all for ditching HTC!

I too was with sprint, had the original EVO, saw the same issues with 3g speed as time wore on, and got the same lack of service from customer support. I also went to tmobile, and I too am very happy. Glad to hear I wasn’t the only one!

• Can’t blame you, especially Sprint. They became horrible for me, and quite frankly, were never really that great to begin with when I joined with the EVO 4G. AT&T service, while more expensive, actually works well for me, and the One X is an excellent phone that serves my needs well. I still love HTC build quality and Sense. Quite frankly, if I had to drop HTC, I could see myself possibly with a Motorola, but most likely I’d jump the Android ship and move to Nokia Lumia.

• Amen. I recently took the same plunge (although I didn’t stick around as long as many others did). All it took for me was the 2 years of my initial contract to decide that “unlimited” shite is still shite nonetheless. I decided I may not get much better signal/service with T-Mo (the devil I don’t know), but at least I’d be doing so at a savings of $30-40 a month.

So far, I have no regrets. I’m enjoying my S4 have at least as good of service/speeds at I had with Sprint and often times even better (but still no signal in my own home – thankfully T-Mobile includes wi-fi calling directly, so no more dealing with the crappy “Airrave” device either)

So long HTC…and mostly, good riddance Sprint.

• I wrote it a few weeks ago about leaving Sprint for VZ or AT&T. I went with AT&T at the time and even their coverage was spotty in LA. I didn’t consider T-Mobile at the time but switched after a month with AT&T and the difference is astounding. I’d say I’m on HSPA+ and LTE evenly 50/50 but I can’t tell the difference because they are both fast and reliable everywhere I’ve been. T-Mobile is definitely the better choice as long as you live where they have good coverage. No complaints here.

• I did the same exact thing for the same exact reasons the writer mentioned and i have the same exact outcomes of satisfaction and speed i expect at a lower cost. I can’t see how anyone can advocate sprint and htc until we see how this softbank thing goes through. don’t forget the clearwire sales were going to help sprint in theory and never did.

• I left Sprint a little over a month ago and I haven’t looked back. I’m on the HTC One S and, although I had to get it off ebay (cause they don’t sell it in stores anywhere anymore), I’m very happy with the move and phone choice. Sprint started sucking, then they continued on a downward spiral. I bought my phone outright, on ebay, so I’m paying $70 for unlimited everything. 4G speeds have been amazing! No more lag during playback from Google Play or Spotify. Goodbye Sprint…forever.

i want to leave Sprint as well, I’m waiting until November when the first of my lines goes off contract, then I’ll be seriously considering just paying the ETF to get the other one off.

The big issue for me is that the 4.2.1 update that I received on my galaxy Nexus caused my 1 year old phone to start acting like it’s 5. Highly unstable..not to mention the issue with Sprint service for both me and my wife.

Also a point of irritation especially for her is that somehow the upgrade schedule for our phones got swapped so she’s stuck waiting an extra 6 months before she is eligible for an upgrade. The fact that she is still on an iPhone 4S and stuck having to deal with Sprint quickly deteriorating 3G network with no access to the LTE network in our area just compounds the issue (not to mention she isn’t exactly patient )

When November comes I’m pretty sure we’ll be out.

Not to mention I’ve become fed up with the added delays for updates just because i am on a CDMA network…I’d be very excited to receive updates straight from Google instead of having to wait for the network to do their thing as well before passing them on.

I hear you on that. When I left Sprint a month ago for T-Mobile, I’d picked up a second hand Galaxy Nexus for a song, and it’s running Android 4.2.2, and it’s ultra smooth, and fast.

I think that might be why your Sprint Galaxy Nexus is laggy. Android 4.2.2 fixed the slight lag of previous versions of Android 4.2.

He thought he would get angry comments, but I don’t see anything but agreement. I’m kind of stuck with a big family plan, so I’ll go with it for another year at least. Maybe Sprint will be good then, maybe not. I still like HTC but all high-end hardware is great nowadays.

• Same complaints same issues same leaving! Except I love in February for T-Mobile and I am just as happy as u With the speeds the coverage and lower bills! And by the way I was with Sprint 13 years. PEOPLE ARE NOT LEAVING SPRINT, SPRINT IS DRIVING PEOPLE AWAY!

• I never really had any problems with my HTC Hero and very few with my EVO (since i switched to CM almost immediately [grin]). My EVO did have the screen dust problem but that was about it. Sprint, on the other hand… I too left for T-Mobile and only have one complaint. When you activate your SIM card/account, be sure to uncheck the “share my info” box. Within minutes of activation (and I mean the time it took for me to say “hey hon, here’s my new number!), I was already getting spam calls and texts left and right.

My wife stayed on Sprint so she could get 3G/LTE on her iPhone 5. She was rocking ~20mbps down when Sprint was still testing LTE in our area but once our city was announced, she’s lucky to get 1mbps. She’s constantly dropping calls and complaining that her text are delayed. Her contract is up this November and it looks like she’s leaving Sprint too.

The delayed texting on Sprint was driving me nuts. It had been happening for about 6 months before I moved to T-Mobile (their texts are instantaneous). It mostly annoyed me because I’d send a text, but then it would show a text that had just arrived ABOVE the one last few I’d sent, and I’d end up missing it sometimes. So, in other words, it had been sent minutes before I sent my last text, and it just let to a very jarring and broken conversation.

Ha, I still have my HTC Hero from a few years ago. I threw CM6 and then CM7.x on that and it was great. In fact, I literally just retired my HTC Hero from active alarm clock/streaming radio duty, and put it away in the cabinet above my desk. It was replaced by now deactivated EVO 3D (since I’m on T-Mobile now).

• Regarding weird order of texts – DUDE! Me too! It only happens between me and my wife (the only sprint person left that I know). I thought I was going crazy so thanks for the confirmation that others are experiencing this too.

I thought it was caused from GO SMS or Handcent but the problem never occurred with other people. Another weird thing I notice when texting my wife is that texts are split willy-nilly. Text breaks are rarely even close to the 160 mark – usually anywhere between 40 to 60. I haven’t noticed that happening when texting other people either. Ugh! Just a few more months and she too can leave sprint.

• I also just left Sprint for T-Mobile and HTC for the GS4. It was a tough decision that became easy as of late. Sprint made it easy at the end because my coverage was became unbearable and I was dependent on the AirWave for in home usage.

The HTC jump was more difficult as my last 5 devices have been HTC including all 3 EVO line phones, I adore Sense. HTC has been missing the mark though with updates, locked boot loader drama and the non-removable battery builds.

Been with TMo for 9 days now and getting great “4G” coverage in my home and area. As for the S4, so far I’m very pleased, I miss Sense but not near as much as I thought. No locked boot loader so rooting and customizing was child’s play compared to the dancing I was doing with HTC. I’ve managed to stay stock so far as all customizations I wanted were baked in or easy to flash small mods.

With this new Jump program maybe I’ll give HTC another shot down the road but best believe I’m watching how they update the flagship devices and how mod friendly they keep things. No regrets here….

• Left sprint 2 months ago early without paying etf because they lost a tower in my area and their wave device that fakes s tower didn’t cut it. Had to go to a local sprint store and talk toa rep that got on the phone and read my Previous 18 comments on tech support calls. It was getting ridiculous towards the end. Went with an galaxy s4. Can’t say I regret it st all.

• My contract with Sprint is up in March 2014 and I live in the Pittsburgh PA area. I also want to leave Sprint because I have the Galaxy Note 2 rooted but Sprints LTE service is not here yet and 3g really sucks. I hope with Soft bank buying them helps or its bye bye Sprint in March and heading to T Mobile. The only thing that sucks about this is I really love my Note 2. Hopefully T Mobile will have the Note 3. But I am happy with the Note 2 size where the Note 3 might be too big for the pockets.

• I am so close to leaving Sprint for a test with T-Mobile. I refuse to go to Verizon. AT&T maybe if I can do off-contract phones.

The JUMP program was made for me. I have been waiting for so long. Getting very tired of the problems I have with Sprint.

That said, their technical and customer support has been top notch IMHO. I have always received on-shore support. The techs called back when needed and stayed on the phone actually acting interested. That is rare in tech today so no complaints there. They even replaced my Airave, no questions asked and no drama.

I really worry about T-Mobile service though. I hear rural areas are horrible. I live in central MA near populated areas. I just worry for when I travel.

Anyone with experience in the area here?

• No real surprise. I left several months ago after being one of the first OG Evo owners and a 12yr Sprint customer. I saw the writing on the wall, had the same broken promises as you. I jumped to Tmobile too, but their signal was a total lie in my area. so I returned within the 2 weeks and switched to Verizon. Best decision EVER.

I still followed G&E because I am hooked on your blog, one day ill go back and follow all the tasker tips.

I just wish the last half if this article had the words SAMSUNG and S4 in it!! Loving my Vrzn S4. Good luck in whatever you end up doing from here.

Thanks for getting me through 3 years of evo rocking root histaria. ,)

• I’ll still be around …. Just not with an EVO on Sprint!

WOW THATS HOW I FREAKING FELT AS WELL!! I left Sprint and Evo back in October 2012. Hence my username on here.lol

• Amen, Same plan in mind, Evo 4G LTE, sprint, it’s been…..something.

I left Sprint a year ago for the same reasons that so many people have already stated; crappy coverage and slow data speeds on 3G. WiMax was always fast in my area but that was only in places it was available which was not many areas.

I went thru the whole Airave thing also, proved to be more of a headache than anything.

The only thing I wish was that I was able to keep my phones also. One of the stipulations to get out of the contract ETF free was to send the phones and airave back. I am paying the same amount with AT&T and get 20Mbps+ on the 4G LTE network in Atlanta. When I leave the metro area, I consistently have 4G HSPA+/3G at very nice speeds. That was a year ago.

Had Sprint for nearly 13 years, oh well.

• As a 14 year Sprint customer. I LTE so had an original evo.
    After waiting nearly 2 years for Nv to come to Honolulu. I finally gave up and went to Tmo this past May. I went from 70KB downloads 20KB uploads to 30MB download and 20MB uploads lte with 12-18 MB downloads and 4MB uploads hspa+. The kicker? I save 40 dollars on a much better plan with T-mobile I went from laughing stock to most envious at work. Speeds with T-mobile
    In Hawaii equals or betters At&t LTE and absolutely blows away Verizon’s LTE here,
    With pretty much the same coverage. Hawaii isn’t so big
    So we luck out here.

• LOL I’m typing this from my HTC One on T-Mobile. My EVO 4G LTE is in my other pocket while I test to make sure I’m making the right decision. I still think HTC makes the best hardware, bar none, so I couldn’t justify a manufacturer jump, but Sprint got to the point that I could not make phone calls anywhere in my house except the rear bedrooms and my data was non-existent. I’ve been doing side-by-side speed tests on each phone (T-Mo is SO much faster where I use data), and will be cutting Sprint loose by the end of the week… Fortunately, I’ve been out of contract since September. :-D

I’m curious how you could be out of contract if you have the EVO LTE? I bought the EVO LTE day 1 and I still have till April of 2014? Did you buy it out of pocket?

Thanks,

5th

• Yep… I didn’t want to wait the two months I’d have had to wait to be eligible for upgrade, and I didn’t want to be locked into Sprint for two more years of potentially (and eventually realized) failed promises.

• I wish someone from sprint would read this blog and comments. I’m one of those loyal customer for 10 years, and the reason was because sprint was providing decent service at reasonable price. But as has been the experience with most of us who have jumped ship, in the last two years everything has become unbearable with sprint. I was one of the first to buy the EVO LTE and I was very happy with the phone itself but then I started to drop calls all the time, data was literally unusable. It was very frustrating and getting worse by the day. I finally made the decision to switch my to main lines to VZ in December and to this day I don’t regret doing it. I know many people talk bad about big red, buy honestly I’m very happy with the quality of service; and I don’t mind paying a bit more. But I still had another line that was on contract and recently decided to port it out also, and now they have sent me to collection for the ETF fee. I’m still fighting to get that removed but they refuse to do it. Any suggestions?

• I went to T-Mobile as soon as the Nexus 4 came out, and I only wish I left earlier (~March-April 2012 when GSM GNex started appearing for ~$400, before they were available from the Play Store, and before Jelly Bean!)

• Wife and I just peaced to VZW. Night and day difference. Still a nightmare dealing with the ETF and sending our phones back (they apparently lost one in their warehouse).

Though I do feel kind of bad for Sprint. If you don’t keep moving forward you’ll get left in the dust. The writing is seemingly on the wall… Hopefully, for their sake, SoftBank can right the ship.

I knew it was coming for you John, and I’m happy to see you enjoying a working service. I’m giving Sprint until my contract is up in April, to get things together down here in South Florida. The network has improved slightly but I find myself getting more and more of those LTE no through zones (perfect LTE signal but no throughput). LTE is popping up everywhere down here though but it’s sad to have to turn off LTE due to non working towers everywhere.(See: http://pocketables.com/2013/07/how-to-deal-with-faulty-sprint-lte-zones-on-htc-sense-4-devices.html)

However, unless HTC releases their next phone with an SD slot and removable battery (or one or the other) I am done with them. The Note 3 will probably be my next phone if I stay with Sprint. It’s hard to leave as I only pay $74.08 with tax and everything (25% discount) and they give me an Airave for my house. I’m giving them a little more time but if it doesn’t get significantly better I’ll be moving on to T-Mobile myself. Good luck my friend, you won’t be missed you bandwidth hogging bastard, lol. :P

Sincerely,

5th aka Brandon

I left Sprint one month ago and went to AT&T for the LG Optimus G Pro! The Evo LTE was a wonderful device, but Sprint and HTC didn’t fit my needs anymore. I’m loving my new LTE services from AT&T and my new badass device! We did what we could guys! Cheers!

Don’t blame you at all. I gave up on the EVO for the Note II. I didn’t really want the 3D and the LTE wasn’t a huge draw because apparently Sprint really doesn’t care about the outer-lying STL area. I’m literally staying with Sprint because I have a friend who manages a store and fixes any issue I have with no fuss, rooted or not and will give me “upgrade” prices on new gizmos. I spent a weekend near DC and I miss LTE and reliable 4G soooooo much. In my own home, I’m lucky to get more than 3 bars on 3G. Walk a block down the road and 3G is great but don’t walk a block past that or else no service at all. Sprint is too unreliable and they need to pull their shiat together SOON. They were a great company. They can be again.

Welcome to T-Mobile, John! I’m glad that you were finally able to move on from Sprint. Sprint, ironically, gave me good data speeds and coverage (Wi-MAX was fast), but facing an upgrade to an LTE equipped phone when there is no LTE deployed here, and losing my speedy Wi-MAX was a “no go” for me. It felt like a downgrade and it would have also felt like that $10 per line premium data fee was mocking me each month.

I just moved on to T-Mobile about a month ago. The HSPA+ speeds are fantastic (I see a MINIMUM of 8 – 10 Mbps, but average is closer to 15 – 20 Mbps) and HSPA+ uses a lot less battery than Wi-MAX did. My bill is cheaper, I finally have the ability to own a Google updated Nexus phone (I grabbed a second hand Galaxy Nexus to tide me to the Nexus 5 in the fall, and I love it), and overall I just feel less constrained by T-Mobile (their transparency and plans are refreshing, too). Glad to have you aboard!

Oh, I forgot to add this. It’s a shame they forced you to turn in your phones. The subsidized money you paid towards them each month (built-in to the bill) was all lost and you got nothing for it, but I suppose your freedom, ETF free, was payment enough.

On another note, my wife is rocking a T-Mobile HTC One (I have the G’Nex as I mentioned above) and she loves it. I’ve used it, and it’s a really nice device. I totally understand your frustration with HTC, though. I still have my EVO 3D as a phone I mess around with, but it was definitely frustrating on how they basically dropped support on it so early and were so late with the ICS update. Thankfully, the latest Jelly Bean runs outstandingly on it. So, it’s still a good phone for games, and other stuff, so I may just give it to my son to play with when he’s a bit older.

• I know. I tried everything I could think of to try and keep my phones, but they weren’t willing to compromise at all. Being free from Sprint is worth it, though…

• Wow, so it looks like you will no longer be writing for G&E, huh? Considering that the only articles you wrote lately were to bash HTC and Sprint. I for one am glad you changed, because I am tired of all the whining and crying. congrats on being happier, but it won’t last. TMobile is worse than Sprint, and you will come to find that out very quickly.

• I’m still writing for Pocketables! And I’ll still cover relevant HTC/Sprint news as long as we have an audience for it. Paul will focus on mods and root stuff, since he’s now the only one who still has an EVO.

And I’ve had T-Mobile twice before, so I know what to expect as far as coverage, etc. And they are blowing Sprint out of the water!

• John, you did what you had to do in your situation. Good for you!! I contribute to the Solid Signal Blog and the HTGuys Podcast and enjoy sending you and Paul tips now and then. Keep up the great work and keep us Sprint guys up to date and informed.

Worse? I wouldn’t call faster 3G speeds (HSPA+), faster rolling out LTE (4G), a lower bill, and far more transparency in how they bill you worse.

Of course, that’s just opinion. I’ve been really happy with T-Mobile since I made the switch.

• +1

I just replied to the article about Sprint’s LTE in New York detailing that my statistical analysis demonstrates that T-Mobile’s network is superior in many ways to Sprint’s in all the areas I use my phone.

The $4B break-up fee from the failed merger is being well-used.

• So far I’m hanging in there and I think Sprint is going to be a force to reckon which, hopefully soon. As for the HTC line, I will be giving it up as soon as the Samsung Note III comes out. All my phones since I came to Sprint were Samsung and they are Great Phones. HTC started out good, but has been getting crappier since. I use to upgrade to the latest HTC as soon as it came out, but opted out of the HTC One and will wait for the Note III.

• I’m pretty close to doing much the same.

In fact, it’s been like that since the EVO 3D. But Sprint did knock out solid LTE in my area (my house is actually REALLY close to one of the LTE towers) and there have been improvements.

So I’m gonna stick with Sprint to see how their buy-out changes things, but I am leery of upgrading, which is coming up soon.

But yeah . . . I totally feel ya’ here.

• I understand where you’re coming from. I had the OG EVO, EVO Shift and the EVO LTE. AFter so many years of frustration I jumped to the GS4 and couldn’t be happier. I’m still with Sprint though. For now, at least

• I left Sprint 2 months ago for Verizon. My bill is the same as what I was paying with Sprint for 2 lines. Yes I only have 4Gig now but I never went over 2-3 gig anyway. SO 4Gig is still “unlimited” for me. I was with Sprint for 17 years, I had been through a lot and I finally just got tired of the horrible speeds, poor call quality and failed calls. I rarely dropped a call but often times it would take forever to connect when dialing. The download speeds were so horrible, I told everyone that it was unlimited data but you don’t have enough time to download it since it takes forever. The new 4G LTE service was increasing here in the DFW area and I would get decent speeds when I was connected. The 4G LTE coverage is very spotty and would constantly switch back and forth.
    In the 2 months I have been with Verizon I have been so impressed with the coverage, call quality and data speeds. I have travelled to areas of the country that Sprint frustrated me and Verizon has 4G coverage. I get free hotspot so my kids tablets work. I only wish I would have made the transition a long time ago!

• YOU WILL ALWAYS BE ONE OF US ,THANKS 4 ALL THE HARD WORK U PUT IN MAN , BUT I’M EVEN HAPPIER YOU LEFT SPRINT FOR BETTER SERVICE AND GREEN GRASS .. TWO THUMBS UP

How were you able to get out of your contract? I got another year left and I’m seriously on the verge of getting out of sprint. but trying to avoid paying extra to leave.

I wanna know how you got out too I tried everything with the resent changes and they would not budge. They only gave me $50 off my bill for this month which I would rather have better service

I ported my lines to TMo. I sold my Evo LTE’s on CL and got $500. Paid Sprint $600 in ETF. Fortunately I got my Evos for free from BB using info from this site. So outlay was only $100. My much better service with TMo is almost $30 cheaper than what it ran at Sprint. I got my money “back” in 4 months AND way better service.

I’m sticking with Sprint and my EVO LTE for the long haul. After that I’ll stay with Sprint and upgrade to whatever flagship HTC device they come out with. If you are looking for another contributor, I’m available.

I left sprint just last week for Verizon. I wanted better coverage and costumer services. My wife’s phone was dropping calls and we took it to the store for them to fix it and they said they couldn’t fix her phone because the screen was cracked. We told them the touch screen works great, but the phone drops calls. They still wouldn’t fix it, so we switched. I was fun while it lasted.

I have the black HTC one and sprint. I actually get 4g just got turned on and it’s fast. I am usually on WiFi as well at home and at work. So either way. Sprint is the only truly unlimited plan I could find where I didn’t have to worry about anything. The phone itself is the most amazing piece of tech I’ve ever owned or held in my hand. I’ve had every iteration of the evo line since the original. I have no problems sprint but everyone has different stories. On a side note before the lte the 3g was abysmal but like I said I was on WiFi most of the time. John abandoning HTC isn’t smart when the most impressive nearly perfect smartphone is made by high tech computers. But to each his own.

Im moving to T-Mobile next week. So frustrated with Sprints service. When I get a 4G signal and run a Speedtest my speeds are slower than the 3G/Wi-Max I had 2 years ago with my Evo 4g. Im talking about .86mbps down and a virtually non-existent upload speed. If I could post the screenshots here I would. Sprint gets rid of their yearly phone upgrades shortly after they get the iphone and soon after the network starts to sucks. Coincidence? Maybe not, but whatever. T-Mobile’s Jump program and better data speeds are my main reasons for leaving. Bye Sprint!

Note: I have a white Evo Lte available for sale if interested.

• Sprint has been my only carrier since day 1, and in three states: MA, TN, MI. I’m loyal if nothing else, and still have my original AOL account! I hardly ever call them, because I have had few reasons to do so. Like others, many phones have occupied my pockets including the Evo 4g and now the One. Having no experience with another carrier, I can’t really compare first-hand. However, I was in NYC last week and very quickly appreciated 4G speeds and what I miss at home in MI. At least for me, Sprint has been a low-cost carrier with consistent, if not slow, performance and very, very, few dropped calls. Sprint does what it needs to do for me, 95% of the time. Secretly, quietly, I’m still looking forward to delivery on the promise to bring greater performance to the midwest! For now, there is no compelling reason to abandon.

Update: Just switched over to T-Mo and loving my new HTC One. After 8 years, so long Sprint.

I read many of the comments and what is striking are the numbers of customers who were with Sprint for so long. Like me – first Nextel and then Sprint – over 12 years.

It’s a sad state of affairs when a company generates such loyalty and goodwill and then throws it to the wind.

Borders on corporate stupidity.

I am so glad to read this, because I am in the same boat with Sprint and my EVO 4g. I have had Sprint since 2008. They were affordable, the coverage was good, and they were easy to deal with. Since January 2013, my phone stopped getting good reception and the connections were slow and barely worked. I have dealt with Sprint and they won’t cooperate with me. They also increased my bill and won’t allow me to switch to another phone, as the evo doesn’t work as advertised. I can upgrade, but my contract is up in December. I would like to terminate now, because they have gotten so awful and my phone does not function well. I was unsure how to do this, but I think I figured it out. I don’t know what company should switch to, but T-Mobile is looking better and better. I researched the HTC One and I like what I see, but is it going to be the right decision. I have always loved LG’s, but I can’t figure out which one would be best. There are articles with info on how to terminate your contract with sprint online of you google, “How to terminate a contract with Sprint without paying ETF.”