Evervolv Android 4.3 on the original EVO 4GEvervolv is an open source custom Android ROM that always seems to amaze me when I run across the amazing things it has done for my older HTC EVO devices. Sometime rather recently, the developers brought Android 4.3 Jelly Bean to the original EVO 4G (Supersonic), the EVO 3D (Shooter), and the EVO 4G LTE (Jewel), along with a host of other devices. They also make nightly updates, should you want them.

Evervolv also comes with a set of specific items you won’t find in other ROMs, like the Evervolv Updater and Toolbox. The updater can be configured to check for updates at any interval, and it also can check for GAPPS package updates, which is pretty useful if you just put the ROM on the phone and forgot to download the correct GAPPS to get Google Play and related services, or just don’t know which one to download to make everything work properly.

The lock screens can be configured from the Jelly Bean style down to Gingerbread; Superuser access is built in (although I confess in my poking around to have not found where it’s configured); and the thing does pretty good on my old EVO 4G, I think. It’s a tad slow, but I may just be completely spoiled from a phone that’s 300% faster. Over- and under-clocking is built in, and most sensors and radios seem to work right out of the box. Although I could not test out the EVO 4G’s WiMAX, it did work in older versions.

GPS, Bluetooth, compass, WiFi and camera worked with no issues, although the front facing camera did not seem to want to appear for me on the original 4G.

If you’re interested in trying this out, go ahead and make a nandroid backup of your current setup, head over to Evervolv, find your device/get the nightly for it, factory reset as the scripts in at least the EVO 4G nightly don’t wipe the data (I learned that the hard way), flash, and either flash an appropriate 4.3 GAPPS package, or go into the ROM and download one through the toolbox. I tried a couple of 4.3 packages and none of them seemed to want to work quite right.

It’s a pretty sweet little ROM, made all the sweeter by being a full two Android versions past end of life (the EVO 4G). It’ll also breathe new life into newer devices, but mostly I was amused that my old EVO could still run current software.

Paul E King

56 thoughts on “Evervolv nightlies bring Android 4.3 to the original HTC EVO 4G, EVO 3D, EVO 4G LTE

• August 22, 2013 at 12:02 pm

That was pretty fast. I’ll have to give this a try on my now retired EVO 3D.

That they’ve got it working on the old EVO 4G is pretty impressive. Good work.

• August 22, 2013 at 12:09 pm

I’d give it a try on my wife’s old EVO 4G, but I sent it into HTC for $100. Couldn’t pass that up. :)

Maybe someday I’ll pick up a used EVO 4G and mess with it. It was a workhorse of a phone. :D

• August 22, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Is this a good tom for evolte? How’s camera app
    Thanks for the info

• August 22, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Camera is that 4.2.2 version without photosphere but with the circles you drag. It’s ok, but you can flash another camera app like the Android 4.3 one we wrote about a week or two back and it’s probably better

• August 23, 2013 at 5:58 am

I like the new Android 4.3 camera. It’s intuitive and works really well on my Galaxy Nexus.

And if you get the Android 4.3 apk, you get Photospheres along for the ride, too. Win-win.

• August 22, 2013 at 1:54 pm

as for if it’s good on the LTE, I’m running something else at the moment so can’t comment… just playing with this on the 3D and the OG, but I’d imagine it’s a decent ROM on it as well.

• September 15, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Sorry! I used 9/14- 9/15 nightly… Which one works for Evo 4g? (Recovery) I’m not sure! I think clockwork.. What’s a good recovery? Thanks…

• August 22, 2013 at 7:39 pm

So what isn’t working in the supersonic, besides the FFC? Does it have a full Bluetooth stack? Ie can I use a Bluetooth mouse, keyboard and wiimote?

Does it have HDMI out to TV?

• August 23, 2013 at 5:56 am

Doubt it has HDMI out. That would require a lot of special kernel tweaks.

I’m not saying it’s impossible. It’s definitely possible.

• August 23, 2013 at 6:34 am

I’ll check when I get home… my bet is the bluetooth stack is complete… I connected some speakers, but I think Evervolv is known for everything working BT.

I’ll see if I still have my HDMI cable laying around – sort of betting the HDMI won’t work, but you never know.

• August 26, 2013 at 7:35 am

Not sure if it would help, but I’m pretty sure the HDMWIn app is still in the PlayStore .

• August 22, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Thanks for answering. I’m also very impressed with the fact OGevo4g still gets and handles new software some 3 years later.. Loved that phone! . Is why I have had so much hope for the lte. I’m so ready to try asop, however would love to try a 4.3 sense (all because of camera) and newest “project butter” thingy. I have used a custom launcher for each so it’s not really a Sense obsession.

Anyone have a favorite as of late? Team venom any good/updated these days?

Thanks

• August 23, 2013 at 6:00 am

It’s nice seeing old hardware still supported. I agree.

My B&N Nook Color agrees today. They’re getting near to being able to push our Android 4.3 (CM10.2) for it soon.

• August 23, 2013 at 6:43 am

What?!?! For real??

I just got a Nook for my b-day awhile back. Would love to root that sucka!

• August 23, 2013 at 7:04 am

When that happens, drop me a line… I may write mostly for G&E, but I also have a B&N Nook Color… and a Sony Tablet S, and I don’t think I’d be lynched for writing one of those up as long as I didn’t tag it G&E ;)

• August 23, 2013 at 6:51 pm

You got it. I don’t think they’re far off from dropping nightlies.

I’d say within a month or less. The word on the XDA thread seems to be that things are progressing quickly and there’s definitely some performance improvements (thanks to Android 4.3’s GPU improvements and FSTRIM support).

• August 22, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Sorry.
    I’m currently –
    Full root, s-off, Meanbean, nova. If that helps with suggestions.
    Thanks again for any input

• August 23, 2013 at 5:30 am

Nice but (again) not for the GSM version of the 3D :(
    Too bad, that there are no (or only few) european developers on the EVO.

• August 23, 2013 at 5:55 am

A GSM port wouldn’t be too difficult. Basically, just replace the CDMA basebands with the GSM ones.

I imagine someone will do it eventually. Keep your fingers crossed.

• August 23, 2013 at 6:32 am

The developer responds on twitter… @preludedrew – can ask him if there’s any way to get it for that.

At one point it looks like he built for GSM since ShooterRU is on the site

• August 24, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Does mms work over wifi with this rom? That’s one thing keeping me from aosp roms. It wasn’t on cm 10.1, but it’s been a month or so since I’ve tried it.

• August 25, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Anyone get this to flash yet. I keep getting errors. I’ve even tried different recoveries.

• August 25, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Running it on the 4G and the 3D, didn’t flash on the 4G LTE though as I’m working on something else on that at the moment

• August 25, 2013 at 9:43 pm

I haven’t been able to get it to flash at all. I’ve tried the past two nightlies. (8/24, 8/25) I keep getting strange errors that I haven’t seen before. It seems to not like the zip.

• August 25, 2013 at 10:45 pm

what phone, what recovery, what did you download, what strange errors?

• September 2, 2013 at 2:23 am

Hi
    Thanks a lot for your review!
    I’m an user of HTC Evo 4G+ and would like to update os system, current one is 4.0.3.
    I don’t know how to backup my files on mobile and have no idea on rooting and all…
    Can I simply update my mobile system by downloading and running the file from Evervolv on my mobilephone that you linked above?

• September 3, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Great review, thanks. I just flashed my first ROM based on this. However, I’m having trouble locating the appropriate gapps. I can’t find the updater you reference. Would you please add a little more detail? Thanks again.

• September 4, 2013 at 6:55 pm

4.2 works fully from evervolv 4.3 doesn’t seem to have radio support yet, but works blazing fast on WiFi. Camera, Bluetooth everything on both just no data yet on 4.3 3g. Love my Evo 4g, not ready to give it up yet.

• September 15, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I try to flash it with my Evo 4g supersonic and it says Installation aborted… Can someone help me with this! Im super lost… Lol.. Was leaving Bleu Mynt 4.2 I think (Asop) Help!! Please… Thanks!!!

• September 15, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Hrmm, Which version of CWM are you running?

Only thing I can think of is a bad download or an outdated clockworkmod.

• September 15, 2013 at 5:50 pm

I used Nightly 9/14-9/15. (Recovery) I think clockwork.. What’s the best recovery? Thanks!!!

• September 21, 2013 at 2:55 am

Sorry about that Paul, i have smelkus recovery.. Would that work, or would i have to change it? To get it to work for Og evo 4g. Thanks for responding back!!!

• September 21, 2013 at 11:06 am

Probably have to change it – I had to go for CWM or TWRP to install (I forget which one)

• September 21, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Alright Paul! I went on Rom Manager,changed to Clockworkmod recovery, the recovery from there acts up,but! I got it to flash the ROM.. Very Nice!!! I like!!!! The thing now,is 4.3gapps i don’t know where to start! You said some didn’t work right through toolbox, any suggestions?

• September 21, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Every day changes what works and what doesn’t, however GAPPS seems to be standard for 4.3 now pretty much.

A couple of days back I posted a thing that finds gapps packages for you, can’t remember what it’s called at the moment… but if you’re looking for one the PA Gapps package has worked on every ROM I’ve tried it on, there’s a de-bloated GAPPS package in the EVO 4G LTE dev section on xda (no difference in gapps, just happens to be posted there)

• September 21, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I’ll give it a shot! I tried jjaacckk94’s 4.3 gapp with photosphere,,, Google now don’t work also the keyboard, it kept putting up messages saying it has stopped! Crazy!!! So i had to reflash and everything… Lol. Anyway, Thanks for the ROM, bout to test the gapps right now..

• September 22, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Well, tried the PA 4.3 gapps.. Didn’t work out right! Lol. Keyboard wouldn’t pull up, i couldn’t put in my WiFi password at the startup.. So I’m guessing all 4.3 gapps keyboard don’t work for the Og Evo 4g? Well if you come across one let me know.. Thanks!!!

• September 24, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Do anyone have YouTube problems? Video’s wont play on my HTC Evo 4g with this rom, or in doing something wrong.

• September 25, 2013 at 12:35 am

Well, i decided to go back to version 4.5.17 for YouTube with this rom.

• September 27, 2013 at 10:08 am

Sorry Paul with all the comments.. Didn’t see that there is a forum…

• October 14, 2013 at 11:07 am

Does this work for the Evo V 4g for Virgin Mobile?

Where do I get the right download?

• October 14, 2013 at 11:08 am

Or are there any 4.3 JB roms that work on the Evo V 4g for Virgin Mobile at this time and where do I get the download?

Thanks in advance for any help. Currently running 4.2.2 CM 10.1.

• October 14, 2013 at 11:58 am

As I understand it any EVO 3D ROM will work on the HTC EVO V 4G (the 3d’s name on Virgin Mobile)

The issues you may run into are that the stock text messaging may not work and the voicemail won’t work either.

Both can be fixed with a download, unfortunately I don’t know what that is.

I’d advise getting on their IRC channel off the web page and ask.. I found reference to work being done on a VM specific one on XDA, but nothing particularly useful

• October 14, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Thank you for the response.

I had issues with data not working at all without wifi on and I think data only worked then because of the wifi, so data on its own did not work. It was a 4.3 rom for Evo 3d. I changed APN to what VM uses, that didn’t fix it.

Thanks again.

• October 14, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Got 4.3 to work. But there is no voicemail app for virgin mobile, only if I call my phone number or long press 1. Not sure where the icon or app went.

• October 18, 2013 at 1:37 am

Hey Paul, I’m back again.. I have a question, do you happened to know, if this is the only 4.3 ROM for Evo 4g Supersonic? I checked Google but its all mixed up.. Saying stuff is for Supersonic, but then its really for Jewel. Thanks!!!

• October 18, 2013 at 3:25 am

Only one that i know of at the moment, Dirty Unicorns generally has an EVO release, but not checked lately

• November 7, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Thanks Paul, I’ll check it out…

• December 8, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I wiped the cache & Davik. I am running clockwork mod recovery. After the install it did an android update and then just boot looped. For I second I saw the lock screen but then it boot looped back to the Evolv screen with the pulse and then keeps doing it all over again. Any ideas???

• December 8, 2013 at 6:31 pm

What phone, what version of CWM, what firmware/hboot, S-ON or off?

• December 8, 2013 at 6:46 pm

The phone is the original
    Sprint EVO 4G w/ WiMax (aka Supersonic)

CWM 5.0.2.2

Android 2.3.3
    Baseband version 2.15.00.05.02

Kernel version
    2.6.35.10-g13578ee [email protected] #1

Build number
    Fresh Evo 4.3.3 by flypz
    Software number 4.54.651.1

S-OFF (rooted)

• December 8, 2013 at 9:24 pm

hrmm, if factory reset doesn’t work I’d try a different recovery… we had a lot of issues with CWM.

Also they seem to have pulled most of the newer nightlies… not sure what’s up with that…

• December 8, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Also I saw your pic in the beginning of this thread for my model PC36100 with Android 4.3 but no Nightly for it listed but in the image it seems to be dated 2013.08.21

• December 11, 2013 at 2:43 pm

@katnkanga.. I was using the 4.3 ROM, worked alright while it lasted! I use to receive updates threw the ROM from them. One day i stopped getting them. If anso i went threw my settings, searched threw there list,,, Boom!!! They were All gone!!! I don’t have the ROM anymore! Seems like the last update,started acting weird!! ….

°°°Yeah’ Paul, i tried Dirty Unicorn 4.3! Doesn’t work on my end! So now I’m back with 4.2.2 Blu Mynt Rom. So did they stop everything for Supersonic? If anybody find a 4.3 Rom that works with Supersonic, let me know Please!!! ;-) Thanks!!!!