Haunted Kernel AOSP 4.3 kernel for the HTC EVO 4G LTE released

Root and S-OFF toolsHaunted Kernel is an AOSP Android 4.3 kernel for the HTC EVO 4G LTE that features a true Linaro -03 build, 1.7GHz overclocking, and a host of governors available for your performance convenience.

While you can overclock the phone for performance, the kernel also allows for underclocking to 192MHz, which can sometimes be useful for battery savings while sleeping, although might cause your phone to oversleep, depending on the ROM and build.

One word of caution: after you flash the kernel, check your camera. There are a couple of different kernel builds, and the newest one has some issues with cameras on certain ROMs. However, I’m betting that will be hammered out fairly soon. In the meantime, I’m running version 29.3, instead of 30.2.

Other than that, I have to note how much faster the phone functions on random things like opening the keyboard or flipping between windows – it just flies. Benchmarking seems to indicate that my ROM is a little faster, but it does perform more than just a little bit better. Scrolling is noticeably improved everywhere.

The combo of AOSP, Android 4.3, and the Haunted Kernel have breathed more life into my daily companion, and that’s all right with me. Unfortunately, I can’t really comment on the battery life yet as the kernel’s been out for such a short time.

Be sure to make a nandroid backup before you install this, as you don’t want to be left without a bootable ROM if for some reason your ROM and the kernel don’t play nice together.

[xda-developers]
become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

Paul E King

11 thoughts on “Haunted Kernel AOSP 4.3 kernel for the HTC EVO 4G LTE released

September 3, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Have to agree this kernel flies. I’m using the 2.9 build though because of the camera problem.
    Plus NIN is updating pretty often.

You forgot to mention that it has the sound control added to the kernel which for me is awesome.

September 3, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I’m afraid I don’t know what Sound Control in these terms means. I’m a little behind still playing catch up due to baby.

September 5, 2013 at 11:06 am

Oh my bad is a path on the sys folder. You can go with root explorer and navigate to sys/kernel/sound_control/and there you will find a couple of files that you can change the values and it will affect the mic, earpiece, speaker volumes.

September 3, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Oh…I noticed that kernel a few days ago but passed on it since I didn’t think it underclocked to 192. Do you know if it has fast charge? If so, I will be taking it for a drive shortly!

September 3, 2013 at 4:52 pm

I do not – having issues with plugging it into a computer so I can’t check. Not sure if it’s just me, the version I’m using, my ROM, or what yet.

September 6, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Paul – What ROM are you currently using with this kernel. I have the USB issue with Bean Stalk and deck’s CM10.2.

September 4, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I decided to take it for a spin this morning. No fast charge. :( I’ll probably keep it on for a few days at least since my previous kernel also lacked fast charge. One thing I have noticed in the short time I have had is some screen artifacts (not screen tearing) even with hw overlay disabled. I’m running unofficial SlimBean.

September 5, 2013 at 10:11 am

Nin and Team Hydra just been doin work lately. Well done guys keep it up

September 5, 2013 at 11:16 am

sound_control primarily controls the gain output on the audio drivers.

September 12, 2013 at 10:09 am

I hate to admit it, but I’m so use to the sweep2wake feature, I can’t imagine ever having to push the power button again, this should be standard on all devices IMHO. This kernel is awesome, will be perfect once that is enabled.

September 22, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Nice to see another REAL linaro compiled kernel – unlike the many “fakes” found on XDA.