AndroidGood and EVOSoftware Updates

No, really: The next version of Android will be called KitKat

KitKat 1

Earlier today Google revealed that the next version of Android, 4.4., will be officially code-named KitKat. This comes after months of the rest of the world thinking that it would be called Key Lime Pie, and just a few weeks before an expected unveiling of a new Nexus smartphone.

KitKat3In case you don’t believe me, Google also revealed a new Android statue on the lawn outside Building 44 on the Google campus, which – you guessed it – confirms that Android 4.4 will indeed be called KitKat. There’s also a teaser page, linked below, in which Google states, “It’s our goal with Android KitKat to make an amazing Android experience available for everybody.” There are links for more information about KitKat candy bars and about Nexus devices, along with an email form you can submit in case you want to receive more information in the future.

Apparently, Google continued to use Key Lime Pie in internal documents and even during meetings, so many Googlers were surprised by the name choice, as well. In fact, continuing to reference Key Lime Pie in all internal correspondence is why Google was able to keep this a secret for so long, after the decision was made at the beginning of this year.

Kit Kat 2Even though this seems like one of the most blatant examples of product placement in recent history, neither Google nor KitKat are receiving any monetary compensation for the use of the KitKat or Nexus names. Google employees apparently wanted to do something fun and unexpected, and chose the KitKat name in part because KitKats always seem to be available during late night coding sessions. In essence, this is the result of two giants in their respective fields, partnering together with no money changing hands, in what is hoped to be a mutually beneficial arrangement. (Somehow, I see KitKat benefitting a bit more – just thinking about the next Nexus is making me hungry.)

What do you think about Google’s choice?

[Google | BBC | Android Community]

John F

16 thoughts on “No, really: The next version of Android will be called KitKat

Well, at first glance I assumed Kit Kat had sponsored Android, though Google certainly doesn’t need the money. Anyways, since that isn’t the case, it is an unexpected and neat name.

I just can’t wait to see what awesome new features this version will bring, my favorite from 4.2 was photosphere.

I don’t understand why they are only moving to 4.4. I mean usually when they make a big change they move up 1 number. That’s why everyone said Jelly bean wasn’t a huge step up from ICS. I hope it’s a big change.

Android 1.5: Cupcake Android 1.6: Donut Android 2.0: Eclair Android 2.2: Froyo Android 2.3: Gingerbread Android 3.0: Honeycomb Android 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.1: Jelly Bean Android 4.2: Jelly Bean Android 4.3: Jelly Bean Android 4.4: KitKat (coming soon)
      YW

I am I reading into the “Android Experience available for everybody” as attempt to combat the current fragmentation issues?

I truly hope so, I hope that this new version of android is magically compatible with any UI Overlays from any manufacturer, and that it just sits underneath it with no changes to the skin, also that there is no minimum spec requirement. That is a foolish dream however, so I just hope that it at least it works with any phone under 2 years old.

I’m reading it more like Android 4.4 will be more RAM friendly and optimized for older or lower specced hardware. There had long been rumors that KLP (now KitKat) would be more RAM friendly.

That being said, I’m thinking with the .1 increment in version number, that maybe my G’Nex has a shot seeing this officially from Google. If it’s more RAM friendly, it should run even better than Android 4.3 (which already runs outstandingly).

Give me a break! :P

• Ahh, you deleted my brilliant retort to that one guys inappropriate comment. Oh well.

I want to say I’m surprised that they went with a brand name as opposed to what we all thought it was going to be, Key lime pie, but then I remember “Oh right, they are google and love ads, makes sense.”

cue Xzibit. “Yo, dog. I heard you like ads, so we named your OS the name of a brand so you can advertize for both yo OS and Nestle at the same time.”

• I didn’t delete anything … must have been the powers above me! ;-)

Probably lost in the ether.
      Repost Your wit, see if it sticks.

Brilliant marketing move by Google. Everyones writing and talking about KitKat OS now. And besides is there anyone on the planet that doesn’t like a KitKat Bar?……Now sing along: Give me a break, give me a break give me a break of that KitKat bar!!!

Bought a bag of Kit Kat bars upon hearing this news. Thanks for indulging my sweet tooth once again, Google.

Looking forward to seeing this unveiled in the fall. Hoping my G’Nex sees the update, but I know my N7 will.

WHO GIVES A FUCK!

Anyone who cares enough to read this blog… Including me.

Hmm, well. You took the time to come down here and comment on it, albeit crassly.

So, my guess is you care a bit to have even clicked into the article. Just saying.