Ookla Speedtest for Android to be revamped this week

New Speedtest App

As 4G LTE becomes more prevalent across the nation, people are performing more and more speed tests and posting the results to social media and forums. Far and away the most popular way to test speeds is Ookla’s Speedtest app, but for quite a long time it’s been in sore need of an overhaul: while the app works great, it’s plagued by an outdated-looking design, menus that need a bit more functionality, and resolution issues that cause the app to not look very good on newer screens.

Luckily, this is all about to change.

Ookla took to Twitter earlier today to tease a brand new UI design, which features an edge-to-edge display (goodbye, black border!). It looks a lot closer to what we’ve seen in the iOS version of the app, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I’m sure there will be other improvements under the hood, as well, which will improve reliability and performance.

The update should be pushed to Google Play sometime this week, so keep an eye open for it!

[Twitter]
become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

John F

8 thoughts on “Ookla Speedtest for Android to be revamped this week

September 25, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Really though, how true are any of the “speed test” apps?
    While I can see a difference between OTA or WiFi speeds, I get a different result every time.
    Pick the best or worst results to post based on the argument I am trying to make.
    I never pay attention to speedtest or benchmark type stats that reviewers or users post.
    Based solely on my experience with my device.

September 26, 2013 at 1:17 am

They’re absolutely accurate for that 10 second window or so.

I’ve got an area 7 blocks from my house that at 10am I can get about 13 mb lte connection. at 9am I’m lucky to be able to make a phone call.

On a cell LTE, it’s time of day, weather, number of people in the area, hunger level of the goats, wind direction, temp, etc…

Only use for speed tests is general testing for happiness.

September 26, 2013 at 6:12 am

I get better consistent results by going to the website on my phone, don’t know why.

September 26, 2013 at 6:57 am

Maybe it will use landscape mode on my tablet. Holding a ten-inch screen like it’s a phone is weird.

September 26, 2013 at 10:09 am

Changing the max speed shown from 20M to 50M is going to be appreciated.

September 26, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Got the update today, – it chose a test point that is nowhere near me, no biggie, changed the second test.

Second test seemed to freeze and I was about to abort it when it finally finished and dropped from ~14mb upload to 3.

Mini data scroll is an improvement, but not really seeing too much use out of this update… now if they wanted to have a multi-site bandwidth test, that would be useful – start pulling data from a wide range… then you’re not at the mercy of a single route of traffic going slow, just the OTA speed

October 9, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Nice app but EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. Well, at least on my connection. I get 31mbs download and 18mbs upload on my LTE phone but 3 tests used up more than 500mb of data! In my part of the world “unlimited data” does not exist and thus this app can literally ruin your life. If you went hog wild with it testing all you favourate parks, streets, and stores you would be thousands of $$ in the hole! LTE USERS in Canada! DONT GET THIS APP!