Poll: Do you still use an HTC EVO device as your daily driver?

unlimited EVO loveIt’s been quite a long time since the release of the original HTC EVO 4G (at least in tech terms). Since then, a lot has happened: we lived through HTC’s failed experiment with 3D camera technology, Sprint’s failed experiment with WiMAX, and the evolution of the controversial HTC overlay called Sense.

We’ve seen the EVO hop from Sprint over to some prepaid carriers, and eventually the assumed demise of the EVO name all together. In fact, it’s been almost one a half years since the release of the last EVO device, the HTC EVO 4G LTE.

Good and EVO has gone through quite a few changes itself, the biggest being the merger with Pocketables. But really, all of this got me wondering how many of you – our dear readers – are actually still using an EVO device as your daily driver? This could be anything from the original EVO 4G, to the EVO 3D, the EVO Design 4G, or the EVO 4G LTE (we still don’t ever really talk about that joke of a phone, the EVO Shift 4G).

Vote in our poll below, and let us know! Then of course leave a comment, so you can tell us a bit more about your vote.

become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

John F

22 thoughts on “Poll: Do you still use an HTC EVO device as your daily driver?

September 3, 2013 at 8:12 am

until i see LTE… Original EVO it is :)

September 3, 2013 at 8:54 am

I upgraded to the One, but gave my OG EVO to a tech ignorant friend of mine. He actually uses it for this thing he calls “a phone”. It’s still rooted, but running stock GB 2.3.5, and he’s totally happy with it. Says he may never get rid of it (if he does, it’s mine again, I want to see the JB 4.3 ROM on “Old Reliable”) because it does everything he needs as fast as he could ask it to. There won’t be another like the EVO.

September 3, 2013 at 9:52 am

I left Sprint and HTC, behind. I have a GS4 and I love it. I went to Verizon for better services. I had the Original EVO and I loved it. I still play around wti flashing roms to it. Thinking about using it as a house phone with google voice.

September 3, 2013 at 10:21 am

EVO LTE I hate it. Nothing but problems on my 4th phone in 12 months oh yea sprint sucks.
    SPRINT…… THE SMOKE AND MIRRORS PLAN.

September 3, 2013 at 10:24 am

My wife and I just switched away from our EVO phones a few months ago (and we switched away from Sprint, too). She had an EVO 4G and I had an EVO 3D. We both loved our EVO handsets, but it was time to move onto greener pastures. But the EVO branding will live on in our hearts.

I still have my EVO 3D to tinker with (It’s running Evervolv’s Android 4.3 right now, really well) and perhaps to give to my son to play with when he’s a bit older (I’m sure he’ll love the 3D camera). My wife sent her EVO 4G into HTC and got $100 after getting an HTC One.

September 3, 2013 at 10:26 am

A bit more information: I bought a second hand GSM Galaxy Nexus to tide me over to the Nexus 5.

I love my G’Nex and Android 4.3 rocks on it. My wife is enjoying her HTC One.

September 3, 2013 at 10:27 am

I have the EVO 3D.
    Both my fiance and mother use the EVO LTE.
    My sister is currently rocking the One.

I really like HTC, but they have to prove themselves to me, by giving more updates to both the EVO LTE and the One.

If they disappoint me, I will simply jump ship to whatever Nexus comes out next. I am due for an upgrade anyways.

September 3, 2013 at 10:33 am

Im personally using an evolte, but just finished giving my daughter my OG EVO4G. Let me tell you how mikg/anthrax is the best rom/kernel combo on that phone. Everything works flawlessly and fast. So much so my other daughter with an iphone 4s is jealous

September 3, 2013 at 10:39 am

I bought the Evo 4G LTE as my first Evo and I’m loving it (Sprint 4G is pretty good where I need it around Nashville, TN). But I rooted and unlocked it so I can put whatever software I want on it. So if I don’t like the software after a while, I just change it.

September 3, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I still have my OG EVO 4G in the closet and I’m using the EVO 4G LTE… what ever happened the HD Voice? I have less than a year left on my contract and I’m not too impressed with the HTC One. So if HTC doesn’t come up with something comparable to a Samsung Galaxy S4 or the newer Nokia phones I’m done. I had the HTC Touch, Diamond, EVO 4G, EVO 4G LTE… It was a nice run but HTC as a company has fallen off. They used to be ahead… oh well.

September 3, 2013 at 1:29 pm

htc evo lte daily driver. rooted and flashing mean rom. great battery life and data speeds in central texas. no complaints other than it gets warm when using strava. gave my brand new htc one to my girlfriend as a gift and regret it every day. it was the best htc phone i ever used and i had plenty like many comments here.

September 3, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I am still rocking an EVO 3D and its barely hanging on. I had the OG EVO before that. My contract ended in June and as much as I want to stay with HTC I’m waiting for the Galaxy Note 3. It will be hard to go from the premium build quality of HTC to the plasticy Samsung, but I recently bought a Note 10.1 and its pretty impressive. I will also be buying a Samsung tv soon. I will keep my eyes on HTC because I believe they will be back. I have also decicded to give Sprint one last try with my next contract.

September 3, 2013 at 2:28 pm

While my wife and I are now using Samsung Galaxy Note IIs, I have put our old pair of EVO 3D units to good use.
    I installed the Google Voice and GrooVe IP apps on them and they are now house phones and entertainment devices for my grandchildren when they visit.
    I still love the 3D camera, and have no intentions of parting with it anytime soon.

September 3, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Evo 4g LTE will be my last htc device, mot likely foing Samsung galaxy line next, root it to the play store rom version and call it good.

September 3, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I’m still using the OG Evo….. I switch back and forth with Decks reloaded and Barebones custom Roms. Its my internet provider for my nexus 7 when I’m out and about. To be honest I like it even more now because wimax is much faster (everyone is on LTE). until sprint shuts off wimax I’ll just keep using it.

September 4, 2013 at 10:47 am

I voted for my EVO 4G LTE, but am currently viewing this on my EVO View 4G which didn’t make the list! Still a decent tab for reading.

September 4, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Not quite the right responses for me.

Since I used MIUI or AOKP, the 3D camera doesn’t work. But I still use the EVO 3D as my work daily, because I seriously have beaten that phone down to within an inch of its life and it STILL keeps on ticking.

I dunno what the big deal is about the 3D. Mine was lightning fast, sturdy, strong, sounded as good as the EVO OG . . . Don’t get me wrong, I loooooooved the EVO OG. But I didn’t regret switching to the 3D as my personal daily and even resisted switching to the EVO LTE as my personal daily (until I got LTE in my area) simply because I loved — and still love — the 3D so much.

I use the EVO LTE as my personal daily. Depending on how the ONE stacks up to the new Xperia Z1 (if Sprint gets it), I dunno how much longer it will be my personal daily. That said, I fuckin’ love it, too.

I LOVE BOTH MY EVOs!!!!!!!!!

I’ve even named them: Christien and Sebastien.

(Don’t judge me!)

September 6, 2013 at 6:40 am

I have been with sprint for 12 years and have finally had enough of their crap. I remember the good old days where you could get an updated phone every 12 months and my employee discount was on my whole account not just my line. The $10 premium data fee for 3G which was the only thing I could get in my area which half the time dropped down to 1X just got to be too much. Then add on the $5 per line (I had three) for not having them setup to auto draft my payment. Not being able to tether my tablet unless I want to pay another $30 and even then it would still be the crappy 3G no thanks I am done with sprint and headed to t-mobile I just pre-ordered the LG G2.

September 7, 2013 at 10:24 am

I moved from the backass woods of NH to San Diego so NOW I’m getting LTE.

September 8, 2013 at 11:20 am

Rockin’ my OG for almost 3 years now..Went off contract and brought the phone over to Ting (amazing service, BTW) Doing a little refurbishing now, but parts are cheap. I’m determined to run this thing into the ground and see how long it lasts!

September 20, 2013 at 10:49 am

i’m rocking the HTC ONE and i’m not looking back, have not had any problems…i still have my original 3 year old EVO 4G with the same touchscreen and still charges like new, keeping it as a back-up phone…playing all the angry birds on it

January 8, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Still have the EVO 4G. Trying to find a reason to upgrade to something else, but I like this phone. 4k video sounds nice. I tried jelly belly but flashed back.