Poll: How often do you update your phone?

upgrade

Our last poll determined that many old Good and EVO readers have decided to keep their HTC EVO 4G LTE phones – it’s a device that’s probably nearing the end of its life, especially given that the HTC One has taken its place as Sprint and HTC’s flagship of choice. However, it’s possible that the numbers we uncovered were a bit lopsided.

As Pocketables reader Steven pointed out:

I’m not surprised. The majority of the EVO LTE owners were probably OG EVO owners that held out till the end of their contact and now they can’t upgrade for at least 6 months (like me). What surprises me is the number of people, including myself, that signed a new 2 year A$$ pounding from Sprint despite what our gut was telling us instead of switching carriers when we had the chance.

He makes a good point – all too often, it’s easier for many consumers to lock themselves into a two year contract in order to get a subsidized price on a phone, and then they are stuck until their contract is up and/or their carrier of choice is willing to allow them to get a discount again.

So that got me wondering: how often do all of you really update your phones? I know we’ve got a lot of power users, so I don’t expect this poll to mirror the rest of the nation, but I am interested in whether or not the majority of you hold onto your devices for a while, or whether you always have to buy the next big thing.

Vote below, and then let us know more in the comments!

John F

13 thoughts on “Poll: How often do you update your phone?

• September 10, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Had an OG Evo and waited until my contract was up before replacing it. Since this was in January I decided to wait an extra few months to see what the next gen stuff would be instead of getting an Evo LTE. Glad I did, happy with my HTC One.

• September 10, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Oh where to begin. I am still using my EVO 4G LTE as it was my last yearly upgrade under the now defunct Sprint Premier program and I’m really ready for a new phone though my 4G LTE is running better than ever on Cyanogen 10.2.

So far T-Mobile with their Jump program really has really caught my eye. The only reason I haven’t called T-Mo “jumped’ is because I’m waiting for Sprint to announce their version of Jump/Edge/Next but so far, crickets…

At this point I’m pretty sure I want the Note 3, but like the above mentioned upgrade programs, Sprint lags behind. I’m hoping deep down inside that Softbank will have influence and we’ll see a 64GB Note 3 as an early exclusive, and maybe for a surprising price. I can only dream. Otherwise I may change carriers adding a new line and let my current line expire in June and be done with Sprint. Crappy network aside (which is, slowly, getting better) when the killed off the annual upgrades that was pretty much the end of Sprint for me. Unlimited data is nice but am a point where I’ll pay more for better service.

• September 10, 2013 at 5:34 pm

I really wish we could edit our comments…

• September 10, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I held on to my first 3 smartphones for an average of 27 months, each.
    My current device, Dell Streak 5″, is almost 36 months old. But will probably be replaced next month.
    It is not just contract timing, but device longevity and current finances.
    Not to mention, waiting for the device you want to be released.

• September 11, 2013 at 3:04 am

Here’s my cycle: Get a pretty new toy, wait two years until it’s almost obsolete and my contract is up. Wait until all the new shiny toys are out and then 6 months or so after that so all the bugs in them are mostly ironed out. Buy new toy. Rinse wallet and repeat.

My Note 2 however is kicking all sorts of ass so it may stick around a bit longer than my standard formula. Maybe long enough for a Note 4 or something HTC can come up with to woo me back.

• September 11, 2013 at 7:07 am

I don’t even remember how long I had my flip phone before getting in line for the Evo OG. I’m slightly embarrassed to even thing about it. Luckily I was able to upgrade to the 3d and finally the LTE with the Premier program. My current thinking is that I’m stuck with the LTE until next May/June. Rooting as well as slapping on a new case (Otterbox Defender was garbage…Seido Active case for the win) almost makes me feel like I have a new phone. Honestly it comes down to cost. If I get subsidized, I’ll upgrade. If I’m stuck having to pay full prize, I will probably hang on to it for at least two year or more and rely on flashing ROMs to keep things fresh.

• September 11, 2013 at 7:10 am

Ugh…I too really wish we could edit our comments

• September 11, 2013 at 9:29 am

I used to upgrade every 2 years when I started with Sprint and my HTC Hero (my wife, her Palm Pre). After that I went to my EVO 3D and she got an OG EVO 4G.

Now, since we’ve moved to T-Mobile, I can get a new phone anytime I want (and swap the SIM card at will with other phones). I’m using a GSM Galaxy Nexus right now and let me tell you, the freedom feels great. That being said, I like to keep a phone for a while, so while I’ll probably be grabbing a Nexus 5 this fall (or early next year), I’ll likely keep it for a at least a year or two before replacing it. My wife will probably keep her HTC One for a while, too, since quad-core and 2GB of RAM is plenty for her, coming from an EVO 4G.

• September 11, 2013 at 9:31 am

Adding to my above comment: I may give the Firefox phone or even Windows Phone 8 a shot with a second hand used phone.

I can probably find both fairly cheaply and since it’s easy to swap SIM cards on a whim, I can experiment with other operating systems all I want, but come home to the warm embrace of Android. Good times.

• September 11, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I tried WP8. It is not Android or WinMo. It is very simple and easy to use, but customization and functionality is limited.
        The Nokia hardware is outstanding.
        Beware swapping SIM cards. My device uses a standard SIM card. Newer devices use a mini, or cut SIM card. I resolved it by borrowing a SIM card cutter and resizing a card, I had several spares. It took four cards before the CS representative could active one (they had piled up over the years and were not all compatible)
        I used the shell of the cut card as an adapter to fit into my device, and swapped to the Nokia820, using just the cut card alone.

• September 12, 2013 at 9:26 am

Oh yeah. I have a micro SIM card, and an adapter to made it a mini SIM size for my Galaxy Nexus.

I now some of the newer phones are starting to use nano SIM cards, but the vast majority still use micro SIM cards. I’m guessing the Nexus 5 may use a nano SIM card (the G2 does), so I’ll just get adapters to bring it up to the micro SIM and mini SIM sizes when I swap between phones.

• September 12, 2013 at 2:25 am

Right now I’m in no mans land with my mobile set up. I try to upgrade just once a year but that’s changed with the release on mobile tablets. I’m really disappointed this year with the mobile output. I was expecting much more. I find all the major manufacturers holding back features with the end result being that no one device meets my needs. In fact even 2 devices don’t fully meet my needs which is sad. You would think with the current available hardware and software that at least one company would be able to put out something mind blowing. It’s just not happening though. It looks like it’s going to be an expensive year while I figure out which direction I want to go in.

• September 20, 2013 at 11:55 am

i got lucky when HTC offered indirect sprint employees the HTC ONE for $250.00 and trade-in their EVO LTE for $250.00…so i got the HTC ONE for $250.00 and HTC gave me $250.00 for my EVO LTE and it did not effect my contract with sprint…win win love my HTC ONE