Good and EVO

3.17.651.4 radios for the HTC EVO 4G LTE available for S-OFF flashing

Root toolsCaptain Throwback has released a flashable radio update for the 3.17.651.4 radios, which includes the new radios and PRI. This supposedly enables HD Voice and provides better speeds. You’ll need to be S-OFF, as the update has been pieced together into an unsigned, bootloader flashable zip. This means you’ll need to download the package, rename the zip to PJ75IMG, and place it on your SD card. After that, boot into bootloader, and it should prompt you to install the radios automatically.

I just did this, verified that I’m able to make calls, and also see that my 3G download speeds are improved. However, my tower is in the process of an overhaul, so my results are not particularly the results you will see and vary day to day. The radio updates found here also contain no hboot, recovery, or boot.img, so you can theoretically install this without worrying about making a nandroid backup.

One thing to be wary of, though, is some ROMs do not play nice with radio changes. If you’re not the adventurous type, give this a day or so and let the other people be the guinea pigs.

A fully stock, rooted 3.17.651.4 is expected out fairly soon, so we should see some new Sense-based ROMs being deployed tonight. We also may hear the screaming of people who have updated their radios and found their ROMs no longer works properly – but hopefully that won’t be the case and we’ll have an actual update that doesn’t break something else, which could be a first from HTC.

[TheMikMik]

Paul E King

16 thoughts on “3.17.651.4 radios for the HTC EVO 4G LTE available for S-OFF flashing

Paul,

Im using the meanbean rom, and i flashed the new radio…im not sure if they stuck..how can i can I check?

nm sorry , they did

How are you able to tell? I am also running Meanbean and want to update these.

my baseband version did not change, im running mean bean rom.. any suggestions?..

ps everything else did though

• I did not flash yet, but found this Q/A on XDA:

Q: I just flashed the firmware update, but my software version didn’t change?
          A: It’s not supposed to. These are firmware updates, not software updates. The baseband version will change if you flash a radio, and the PRI will change if you flashed a firmware zip that includes it.

Any specifics on ROMs that don’t work? I don’t care if some offshoot stock rom doesn’t work, since I don’t care for those, but I do like to hop to CM/AOSP every once in a while and would like those to function.

Though I might just say screw it and run with it anyway, because I feel like my signal and speeds are garbage (more than usual) and this might help me out.

sadly it didnt do anything for my data speed.:(

• Can anyone point me in the direction of S-offing my phone? I have

*******TAMPERED*******
    *******Unlocked**********
    Jewel PVT SHIP S-ON RL
    HBOOT-2.09.0000
    RADIO-1.12.11.1210

works fine on HTC EVO 4G LTE on Unofficial Carbon JB Rom

• Just did, no issues, reception went up and my network went from revdo a to eHRPD. I don’t have 4G, but now it kind of detects it is near.

Paul I found one fix already! YAY! After almost two years HTC finally fixed the MMS compression bug! About time HTC! Anyone found anything else in the latest EVO LTE update?

5th

• Rock on. I haven’t found anything that I can put a finger on solidly.

It appears I’m getting slightly better data rates and also appears I’m not missing any phone calls at the moment.

This, however, could be due to the massive work they’re doing on the tower near to me. Have to spend some more time with it

They also added Chrome and Google Play Games but I haven’t noticed any difference in signal quality. I live in an area where without my Airave I get 100+dBm signal level on 1X voice and worse on EVDO. Forget about LTE, lol. I’m going to try and root and S-OFF and see if they changed anything.

5th

Doesn’t appear to play nicely with CM10.2-09162013 sadly. Just flashed this and at the moment I have a device that won’t turn on, no light shown even when plugged in. It is too late at night for me to mess with it so I will have to look at it tomorrow now.

I did at least make a backup before flashing just need to figure out how to get the thing turned on and into recovery now. :)