HTC, ASUS, and LG are all in the running for the next Nexus 7 tablet

nexus-logoHTC – the manufacturer of our beloved HTC EVO line, and the maker of the first Android smartphone – is reportedly in the running to produce the next Nexus 7 tablet in 2014. This is in addition to ASUS and LG.

This rumor coming out of Taiwan indicates that a decision won’t be made until December, but official announcements probably won’t come until late next year. However, if Google’s previous trends are any indication, I think we can eliminate ASUS: Samsung produced two Nexus phones, and LG will have produced two Nexus phones once the Nexus 5 is announced. Presumably, Google is giving each Android manufacturer two runs at each form factor, so it’s unlikely to give ASUS a third run with tablets.

LG is a good candidate, as Google did allow Samsung to make a tablet (the Nexus 10) after producing two Nexus phones (the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus).

HTC is also an interesting candidate. It produced the first Android smartphone (the T-Mobile G1) and the first Nexus smartphone (the Nexus One), so it’s due to make an Android tablet. HTC’s previous tablet attempts, while not popular with very many consumers, did feature excellent build quality.

Whom would you like to see build the next Nexus 7?

[Focus Taiwan via Unwired ViewThanks, Bill!

become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

John F

8 thoughts on “HTC, ASUS, and LG are all in the running for the next Nexus 7 tablet

October 23, 2013 at 6:52 am

I’m honestly still very happy with my 2012 Nexus 7 32GB. It’s fast, smooth, and it fits my daily needs and workflow.

It would be cool to see HTC do a Nexus tablet. Maybe that’s related to the HTC tablet rumors we’ve been hearing about this week.

October 23, 2013 at 9:49 am

I am, too. I’m a little jealous of the new screen on the 2013 Nexus 7, but that’s not worth a $200+ upgrade to me.

October 23, 2013 at 7:39 am

That could save HTC . That would be awesome. I’d like to see them make a metal nexus tablet. The current nexus feels cheap.

October 23, 2013 at 9:24 am

HTC!! I would love to see them make a nexus tablet. I feel that this would really save them from their financial issues, nexus devices are no joke in the android world, so for HTC to have a nexus device in their arsenal.

October 23, 2013 at 9:25 am

Lol sorry I started walking to class and almost forgot. If HTC has a nexus device in their arsenal then they would officially knock Samsung off of their imaginary throne.

October 23, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I would have to respectfully disagree. Samsung is so far ahead of HTC that it wouldn’t even matter what they did. So many have climbed on the Samsung bandwagon. There’s no going back at this point unless Samsung did something REALLY stupid to drive their entire customer base away.

October 24, 2013 at 5:44 pm

What makes you think Google has these rules and patterns about who makes the Nexus devices?