HTC EVO 4G LTE on Sprint also receives update to 3.17.651.4

evo-4g-lte

Today is a happy day for many HTC users on Sprint: In addition to the HTC One receiving an update to Android 4.3, the HTC EVO 4G LTE is also receiving a minor update to 3.17.651.4. Unfortunately, it’s not Android 4.3 (we already know that’s not happening), but it does bring a few much-needed improvements, including more stability for the HTC Sense user interface and HD voice on by default.

To check and see if the update is available for you, just check in your system settings for HTC software updates. Of course, if you’re rooted, you should accept this update at your own risk – you never know what HTC or Sprint might sneak in there. Additionally, like most updates from Sprint, this is a staged roll out, which means it won’t be available to everyone all at once. If you can’t download it for your phone yet, simply check back again.

If you get this on your EVO, as always, let us know how it’s working out for you!

[Sprint] Thanks, Simon!

become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

John F

45 thoughts on “HTC EVO 4G LTE on Sprint also receives update to 3.17.651.4

October 2, 2013 at 11:56 am

Nothing here yet. Y U NO UPDATE?!

October 2, 2013 at 12:43 pm

You’re welcome G&E, as usual. Nice to see the EVO 4G LTE get some love today, too.

Shame Sprint and HTC aren’t supporting it past what it has now in terms of Android updates. The hardware could easily handle it (hell, my EVO 3D handles Android 4.3 perfectly).

October 2, 2013 at 1:06 pm

The OG EVO handles Android 4.2+ yet we’re stuck on Android 4.1! HTC Blows!

5TH

October 2, 2013 at 2:49 pm

The OG EVO 4G never got past Gingerbread as far as I know. There have been ROMs for ICS and Jelly Bean, but that’s it.

The hardware can support it, but the camera drivers and the lack of kernel updates for the Android 4.x tree are big limiters. The OG EVO 4G was (and still is) a nice piece of hardware.

October 2, 2013 at 7:56 pm

It is. But he mentioned Android 4.1 as an official release, whereas HTC quit at Android 2.3. ;)

And camera drivers do continue to be an issue with the old EVO. The FFC hasn’t worked since Gingerbread. :)

October 2, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Ah, I see. I misread his post.

He meant the EVO 4G LTE is stuck on Android 4.1. Ambiguous sentence is ambiguous.

October 2, 2013 at 12:43 pm

No 4.2? No Sense 5?!?! HTC, my contract is up in 3 months and I’ll be looking at possible upgrades. I already see how you support a 1 year old phone on sprint with token updates and only 1 major update (ICS to JB 4.1). 4.2 was released 11 months ago… 11 months, and you haven’t mustered the ability to put out this update in a reasonable time frame. How the hell do you expect me to upgrade to an HTC One?

At this point, going by your history with the EVO, I do not expect the One to be updated to 4.4 until possibly September of next year, and to 5.0 ever (if that’s the next version after 4.4).

Shame on you HTC.

October 2, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Nothing new really. The EVO 3D only went from Android 2.3 to Android 4.0 and the Sprint HTC Hero only went from Android 1.5 to Android 2.1.

The only phone they supported pretty well was the OG EVO 4G which saw Android 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3. It looks like they’re trying harder with the HTC One at least.

October 2, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Yeah, I had the original Evo 4G, hence why I got the Evo 4G LTE. I’ve also had the HTC Mogul and HTC Touch Pro. It only occurs to me now that I have not used a phone brand other than HTC since 2007!

I like the HTC One, I really do. But where HTC wins me over with design, they lose me with support. I’ll see how they treat the One customers down the line and maybe in the future I’ll come back.

October 2, 2013 at 5:11 pm

HONESTLY, i think its sprint that doesnt push htc enough to get updates to our phones… i have the evo lte and i have a sense 5 port on it with 4.2. and it runs awesome on my phone… i will be leaving sprint in march when my contract is up but i will stick with htc.. i will wait and see what new device will be coming out around that time

October 2, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Why hasn’t HTC and Sprint fixed the MMS picture bug yet? It’s been a year and a half?! WTF? Every time I send a MMS picture I get angry as I have to add another pic, then another to get a full screen pic you can see that isn’t compressed, then delete the first slide, then retype or paste (what I previously copied) and then send, rinse and repeat! FLUCK YOU HTC! I shouldn’t have to use a third party app to send picture messages or do 50+ things to get a decent picture to send! And the pictures that send when I don’t do anything are unreadable! Blurray to the point where huge text gets garbled! This is pissing me off, as I just had to send one, so this is a rant but I’m still pissed!

+1 on why I will never buy another HTC!
    +2 I’ll never forgive them for the year I spent having to turn my screen on and off a million times as my proximity sensor wasn’t working (proximity bug)!

Also does this kill the root and S-OFF methods? WinDroid HTC EVO 4G LTE Toolkit v1.2? I want to take the update but not if it kills the option to root and S-OFF. Thanks.

5th

October 2, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Towards the end of my wife’s and my stint on Sprint, she couldn’t even receive MMS pictures anymore. I had fairly annoying problems with delayed text messages. :(

Your issue sounds like a software problem, though. I think ours was just Sprint being Sprint. ;)

October 3, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I didn’t realize this happened to other people! It really frustrates me that the Evo LTE was sort of marketed to have this really nice camera, but pictures sent through MMS look like crap.

I didn’t know there was a workaround (albeit lengthy), but I’ll be sure to give that a try next time.

October 20, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I am so sick of Sprint. I had all the EVO’s minus the 3D. Why is it the EVO 4G in my eyes works way better then the 4G LTE? The non LTE’s are slower then the regular 4G. Don’t travel out of your service area with the EVO G4 LTE, because when you return, won’t won’t even be able to make a call the next day. You began to notice my phone’s not ringing, wtf.. then you call them to push the PRL etc, and they can’t get it to go through. This i’m sorry friend is my 8mo. with Sprint and the HTC. Someone said it already, but Sprint is LAZY as F… because HTC is all about the ONE and it’s phone design is horrible. I cannot believe we are still on 4.1.1 am I dreaming?

October 2, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Please confirm is the Evo LTE getting sense 5 or not? Because if it isn’t I’m going to root my Evo as soon as I have the money for the HTC One Max ( I won’t have the phone just yet just gonna root because I know I am getting it)

October 2, 2013 at 2:54 pm

I don’t think the EVO 4G LTE is getting anymore large updates. It’s probably not getting Android 4.2.2 (let alone 4.3) or Sense 5.

I’d root it and throw on a custom ROM. My EVO 3D runs Android 4.3 like a well oiled machine.

October 2, 2013 at 3:56 pm

So, the list for this update is “stability improvements for Sense” and “HD Voice enabled by default”

Sounds like they just made a BS update and pushed it to get people off their back

October 2, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Any chance you think this update could contain enhancements necessary for a later/larger (like 4.2.2) update?

I know some devices have done this before, but it is usually announced beforehand that this is the case.

October 3, 2013 at 6:50 am

not really. Looks like it’s a few Sense components and a radio that enables HD-Voice, so phone calls should start sounding less garbageesque, and scrolling is potentially smoother between Sense screens.

This is just a maintenance release

October 3, 2013 at 9:58 am

It’s a pretty big release at 133.78 MB! I’m afraid to take it thinking it will screw up S-OFF and ROOT. Anyone have a confirmation? Also as Paul said it simply says “Stability Improvements” as the change log.

5th

October 3, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Paul I found one fix already! YAY! After almost two years HTC finally fixed the MMS compression bug! About time HTC! Anyone found anything else?

5th

October 2, 2013 at 6:27 pm

If they could just fix the proximity sensor issue…that would be enough for me to wait for the next phone without leaving HTC altogether…

October 2, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Is it sad that I was more excited that meanbean might get an update now?

October 3, 2013 at 6:21 am

I wouldn’t hold your breath for a mean bean update. Mikey is not supporting the Evo LTE any longer. The last I heard, is that he doesn’t even own the phone anymore, so there will be no more updates. I hope I am wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

October 3, 2013 at 7:41 am

what a shame, It’s seriously the best rom I’ve used on my evo 4g lte, I always come back to it.

October 7, 2013 at 10:18 pm

OMG I realized why it wasn’t working… the proximity sensor.. that explains everything.

October 3, 2013 at 2:23 am

I’m downloading the update now. It says its just “to fix stability issues” and nothing else. We will see what it fixes…

October 3, 2013 at 6:42 am

I am getting Play Store recommendations multiple times a day that show up in notifications or often just open the play store when I unlock my phone. This just started a few days ago. Anyone else getting this or know how to disable?

October 4, 2013 at 11:18 am

That sounds like an app doing that? You can turn off notification in Google Play Store (settings > notifications uncheck). Let us know if that helps. If not then it’s another app doing it.

5th

October 3, 2013 at 6:50 pm

It added chrome… Sense seems to not have to reload as much, especially when I’m leaving buig applications like it used to. That’s all I notice

October 4, 2013 at 11:13 am

It added Chrome as aaron said plus Google Play Games and fixed the MMS compression issue. Anyone find anything else?

5th

October 4, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Probably your random behind the scenes bug fixes. Also security patches.

My sister’s old Moto Droid X recently received a security update. And we all know how old that phone is (VERY).

October 5, 2013 at 5:14 am

Head HTC US guy tweeted that the EVO LTE will get android 4.3 and sense 5 by the end of the year. Long after everyone gets to enjoy but 4.3 is a plus we didn’t think we’d get.

October 5, 2013 at 5:17 am

@jasonmachtc is the Twitter account if you don’t have it. President of HTC USA

October 5, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Loading it up now….

we shall see

October 6, 2013 at 9:27 am

I got the new update today don’t really notice anything difrent. On my HTC EVO 4g LTE. With the new update all seems the same

October 8, 2013 at 9:26 am

Anyone know if the new update fixes the bluetooth issue with the evo 4g lte? It would always connect to my car’s audio system then drop immediately with a system (send/don’t send) error report.

October 8, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Got the update here. BROKE Google Wallet. If you use Wallet, would suggest holding off until you see what happens to other users. Wallet now says:

“Unfortunately, Google Wallet is not yet available for yor device or mobile network.”

But of course it worked two days ago just fine. Also, I have had serious phone reception issues since the upgrade yesterday. I am not sure if it is a network or update issue…

October 8, 2013 at 2:17 pm

OK, fixed. Looks like there was a Google Wallet update that did not auto-update like the other twenty programs. It works now.

October 8, 2013 at 9:39 pm

daraprim I updated my 4g lte to the new software version today and I’ve seen reception issues too! I can send out text messages and phone calls, but I can’t receive texts or calls. This has never happened before in the time I’ve had the phone, and I know there’s no issues with the towers since my family and coworkers with Sprint are having no problems…..

October 11, 2013 at 8:02 am

I got my ota the day of this article, Naples, FL