AndroidGood and EVOTips & Deals

FreedomPop

Last month, we reported that Sprint MVNO FreedomPop had started selling the HTC EVO Design 4G for $100, along with free phone service. Now, the prepaid carrier is looking to shake things up again: starting now, FreedomPop is expanding its beta program availability by an additional 10,000 subscribers and is offering the original EVO 4G, also for $100. Additionally, it will begin activating new customers who port over previously-used Sprint devices.

Since FreedomPop works with Sprint’s closed CDMA system, there are still some handsets that won’t work with it right away. However, it is accepting the OG EVO and the EVO 3D, along with the Samsung Galaxy S III, Epic 4G, Epic 4G Touch, and the LG Optimus S. FreedomPop also expects that it will soon be able to allow phones like the iPhone and the Google Nexus 5, as well. Since FreedomPop is trying to be a VOIP/IP messaging service, it still has to optimize its calling and messaging clients to work across various unlocked Android phones and within Apple’s closed iOS.

The free plan includes 200 voice minutes, 500 texts, and 500MB of 3G/4G data each month for free. If you decide you want more, the $7.99/month plan gives you 500 minutes, unlimited texts, and 500MB data. And for $10.99/month, you can get unlimited minutes and texts and 500MB. While this seems like a great deal, it seems that 4G service now is restricted to Sprint’s WiMAX network, which isn’t that great, the future of which is also uncertain.

[FreedomPop via Gigaom]

John F

12 thoughts on “FreedomPop now offers free service with HTC EVO 4G, also activating other old Sprint devices

Do they still sell the EVO Design 4G for $99? I remember that being a limited time thing, but I never got around to checking it out.

I was thinking about doing FreedomPop for my mom’s emergency phone needs. Can’t argue with free, even if the phone is $99.

• I have an old HTC Evo 3D (Sprint). I entered the MEID and the website said my phone wasn’t eligible…

Same here, no Evo 3d support

Just got this working on my old OG EVO that’s been sitting in a drawer for a year since I upgraded to the EVO LTE. Amazing how Sprint still doesn’t have LTE in Denverl, so I’ve been without 4G this entire time… Now this 3 1/2 year old phone has totally saturated Wimax coverage once again for FREE.

How did you activate your OG Evo 4g. Ive been trying to do it for two days. It says no device exists for my id. Im entering the MEID. Is that the correct number there looking for?

I went to freedompop.com/phoneactivate. First tried my EVO View 4G tablet’s MEID but was met with an error that it wasn’t supported. Punched in the OG EVO’s MEID and it worked.

• Is this gone already, I can’t find anything about it on their website?

I just got the Evo Design 4 on thier service. It is a good emergency phone or something you give to your 12 Y/O to use on WiFi. If you want it for more than that you need to find a different carrier.

I got a used HTC EVO 4G and want to activate it on FreedomPop, but their activation page wants “MAC or ESN”, all I can find is MEID. I looked in settings, I popped the cover and looked under the battery, only MEID (which has too many digits for MAC). I erased the first two digits, didn’t make any difference, still won’t take it. There are other MAC address fields (network etc) elsewhere in the settings on the phone, but they are all ‘unavailable’. Help please!

• Well, to answer my own question, the Bear Lake guy had the clue – instead of going to freedompop.com/activate, go to http://www.freedompop.com/byod
    I am only part way through activation and don’t know if this would have worked before resetting the phone, but in phone mode enter ##786# it showed the MAC address. Thanks for the help!