Google Nexus 5 by LG unboxing [Video]

My 32GB white Google Nexus 5 by LG finally arrived late yesterday evening – I say “finally,” but it actually arrived much sooner than I originally thought it would. I immediately took to unboxing it (sorry for the sometimes poor video quality, but we can blame that on the Nexus 4 camera), which you can view above.

Here are some initial impressions of the device:

• The screen is the perfect size. After using this for only a few hours, I can honestly say that I don’t think I’ll ever be able to go back to a phone under 5 inches. At the same time, I don’t think I could stand carrying around something much bigger than this – the Nexus 5 is perfect for me and my big man hands.
  • Speaking of the screen, this thing is gorgeous! Google really outdid itself this time, with screens astronomically better on both the Nexus 5 (compared to the Nexus 4) and the new Nexus 7 (compared to last year’s model). Colors are bright, pixels are invisible, and it’s sharper than ever. Color me impressed (pun intended).
  • WiFi is good, but my LTE connection is spotty. I blame this on T-Mobile, rather than the device, since it’s the same on my LTE Nexus 7.
  • Some of the software is a little buggy – at one point, the Play Store refused to show me my installed apps, even though I had a perfect data connection (it just stayed on the loading screen). I also have a PIN on my SIM card, and one time the phone froze after entering it – I eventually had to reboot it. In the end, I performed a factory reset, which I shouldn’t have had to do, but so far everything is working better than when I first unboxed it.
  • The camera is much better than the camera on my Nexus 4. I haven’t gotten a chance to play around with it too much yet, but with the few shots I did take, I’ve noticed that pictures tend to have much better colors and are, in general, much sharper. That is thanks to the Optical Image Stabilization, I’m sure.

Keep coming back for more hands on impressions, experiences, and a full review of the Google Nexus 5.

John F

7 thoughts on “Google Nexus 5 by LG unboxing [Video]

• November 14, 2013 at 9:29 am

I want one…
    Too bad $400 for the 32GB is a bit out of my budget. I wish Sprint would sell the 32GB so I could just get it subsidized, bleh…

• November 14, 2013 at 9:53 am

The device was $100 more than I wanted to spend, but I was in desperate need as GB2.3.3 was becoming almost unusable.
    I am happy with the upgrade, but I was hoping for a larger screen than what I already had. I think the SNote3 is perfectly sized, but more interested in the Nokia 1520 for the Windows Phone experience at 6″. Or maybe a Surface Phone? Good news is I saved my upgrade with ATT in buying the Nexus 5.
    Hope you enjoy your new toy.

• November 14, 2013 at 10:22 am

Would have preferred voice to the music! I want to hear your reaction and you talk about the device while I (enviously) watch you unbox this!

• November 14, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback – I’ve done both types of unboxings. I’m still an amateur, obviously. ;-)

I’ll keep that in mind for the future, though!

• November 14, 2013 at 8:45 pm

What’s the build quality like, just on a first impressions basis?

• November 14, 2013 at 10:29 pm

I find it to be solid. Flawless.
      Still have not taken off the shipping screen protector though. Almost seems to belong there when the screen is off.
      Very thin and light. Silky feel to the shell, not slippery or sticky.
      Wish the Home screen would go landscape. Not happy with flipping the device, or having the screen flip automatically, every time I move.
      Chrome has crashed at least twice so far. But I am hoping to be first in line for updates as the OS continues to grow.

• November 14, 2013 at 11:02 pm

The volume button is in the wrong place. It should be on the same side as the power button.
        As I type in landscape, the device is resting on my fingers, and I can press the volume if I tense my grip.
        I also hit the button as I pick up the device, or press the power button.
        Gotta relearn how to do these things.