Poll: Did you get a Dell Venue 8 Pro from Microsoft?

Dell Venue 8 Pro

It took me a while to finally write this post – I was too busy kicking myself when the $99 Dell Venue 8 Pro deal ended and I hadn’t even tried to place an order. And when I logged onto my computer to see if any of the $199 tablets were still available, I went to the Microsoft Online Store and saw the above picture.

Oops.

The deal was widely publicized, though, and many people were after the deep $200 discount, so Microsoft’s site was down for a majority of the night. If you were able to place an order, it was sheer luck.  Hopefully, some of you had better luck than I did.

As Dell’s second major attempt at the tablet market, the Dell Venue 8 Pro – at any price – is a solid device that could restore Dell’s Streak fanbase. That’s why I’m curious to find out if any of you were able to purchase the tablet or plan to at any point in the future: the Streak line is long gone, but I know there are still many of you out there who fell in love with Dell’s original tablets and are probably willing to give the company a second chance.

Answer the poll below and then comment on this post telling us why you ordered or want to order Dell’s latest tablet, or why you aren’t interested at all.

Calob Horton

Calob Horton is an associate editor at Pocketables. He loves all technology, no matter which company it comes from. This unbiased view of the tech world allows him to choose the products that best fit his personal needs and tastes: a Microsoft Surface Pro, a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and a third-gen iPad.Google+ | Twitter | More posts by Calob | Subscribe to Calob's posts

16 thoughts on “Poll: Did you get a Dell Venue 8 Pro from Microsoft?

• December 9, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I never even saw the option of buying from that portion of the site, I was always directed to find a local Microsoft Store (which is 3 and a half hours away). And on their main store site, the price never fluctuated from the $299 list.

Alas. I might still pick one up at that price, it’s gotta be better than this Skytab waste of silicon that I’m currently using Win8.1 on, right?

Right?

• December 9, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I went to the brick-and-mortar Microsoft Store on Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago. Its website said: holiday hours, opening at 10am. The website of the skyscraper/mall that it’s inside of said: holiday hours, opening at 10am.

I planned on showing up at 9:30am, because 1/2 hour is the longest I was willing to wait outside in the 20-degree-F cold.

When I showed up at 9:30am, the building doors were in fact open, and at the Microsoft Store I was told: we opened up at 8:50am, and all the Dell Venue 8’s are gone.

While I was there learning this, 2 other shoppers showed up too, also looking for the discounted Dell Venue 8.

Aside from disappointed Dell Venue 8 seekers, the Microsoft Store was completely devoid of shoppers. But then, it wasn’t 10am yet.

Kitty-corner across the street from the Microsoft Store, there was an Apple Store (one of Apple’s flagship stores). The sign in the window announced normal business hours, opening at 10am. People with Genius Bar appointments were allowed in a few minutes early; for everyone else, the Apple Store opened exactly at 10am, as promised. A few minutes after 10am, the place was jumping.

• December 9, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I was up early, and went in to the office where I have a massive link and a 20ms ping to the website. I was there 30 minutes prior, and the site was slow. I watched the atomic clock and 10 seconds prior to the sale I refreshed the page. It took til 5 minutes after for the site to finally show, and by that time the 99$ was gone and all of the Dell 8 Pro’s were sold out. I was very very upset. I ended up going with the 64 gig version through Amazon. I knew I was going to get one, I just wanted to try and get it cheap. I’m still upset though, I think next time something like that comes up, I’m camping out at store. Too bad the nearest one that had any is a 5 hour drive away…

• December 9, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I went to the local Microsoft store to buy the Dell tablet at, I expected, the $199 price based on the advertisements. The ads said the $99 price was quantity limited to 20 tablets, but didn’t say the $199 price was for a specific quantity, just “while supplies last.” (the ad copy is pasted below.)

At the store I was told there were 20 tablets for sale at $199, then the price was $299. This is not what the advertisement said. If I weren’t a lawyer I would be thinking about hiring one.
    __________

IMPORTANT TERMS
    Dell Venue 8 Pro Tablet: Valid 12/9/2013 only, while supplies last. Available in select Microsoft retail and online stores in US (including Puerto Rico) and Canada.

1. Dell Venue 8 Pro Tablet: $99 Sale Price, $299 Reg. Price. 20 available per store while supplies last. Not available online in Canada. Limit 1 per customer.
    2. Dell Venue 8 Pro Tablet: $199 Sale Price, $299 Reg. Price. Limit 1 per customer.

• December 9, 2013 at 4:00 pm

The online sale was a joke !! Twice I managed to get a Dell Venue 8 in my cart but was unable to check out. The whole thing was a massive waste of time and effort. I now wonder if MS really had any to sell online at all or was just using this as a PR stunt. Will
    certainly avoid any more efforts for their “12 days of Deals” HUMBUG!!

• December 9, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I do not need another device, and was not motivated enough to drive through the ice to the mall. But I am kinda kicking myself for being so lazy.
    I just wanted it for the price.

• December 9, 2013 at 6:36 pm

I tried, but the Microsoft store employees totally dropped and stomped on the ball. They supposedly gave out tickets an hour before the store opened, even though 45 minutes before when a friend stopped there, there were only seven people in line…

• December 9, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Would have been cool to have since I’m looking at getting something, but I think I’ll wait for the surface pro 2 like I’ve been planning. Can’t wait for the pen input for notes in school…so excited.

• December 10, 2013 at 6:35 am

Totally stoked! Had been watching this little machine and wanted one. This sale made it a no brainer, even considering my son, friends, and I wound up waiting overnight outside our B&M location (we held positions 6-11 in line and this was still prior to midnight mind you…). Loving this little machine and no regrets! Store employees began processing sales an hour before normal opening time, as by then our line well exceeded 20. They also came through serving hot chocolate and coffee. I know the website experience was a hot mess and beyond, but puro props out to the San Anto MS Store and employees for a job well done!

• December 10, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Congrats :) Really thinking about picking up one of these even at regular price, I really want to get my hands on a win8 tab and not have the hardware ruin the experience for me (currently using a Skytab that was designed for Win7, it has a regular aspect 1024×768 screen that has no dimming capabilities and the wifi on it cuts out all the time, also it has no GPS, accelerometers or gyros so location-based apps only work when the wifi is working)

• December 11, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Congratulations on being able to get one – I know so many people (including people here!) who were unable to get one because of the low supply online and in stores.

• December 10, 2013 at 8:58 am

I would definitely have bought one if I was anywhere near a Microsoft store.

• December 10, 2013 at 6:59 pm

I got it from walmart!!! I printed the ad. I used white-out on the lines that specified qty of 20. It seemed like it was $99 all day. Walmart priced match and voila!!! They only sold me one. I went to another walmart to get another one but they refused to price match. At least I got one.

• December 10, 2013 at 8:23 pm

The local Microsoft store was schedule to open at 9am. I got over the store at about 6:30am and there was already a group in the parking lot waiting for Venue. I learned that 20 people had already been lined up since about 4am, but the mall police dispersed them from forming a line. The 20 people created an arbitrary list and taped it to the front door. When the manager got there at 7:30am, she allowed a line to begin to form; however, the list was not yet known to be recognized or ignored. At about 8am, an employee began handing out numbered tickets to those waiting. In total, about 40 people were given out. These tickets guaranteed the $99 price. They gave out more than the 20 limit for $99 as an apology for the disorganization early on. So I was able to snag one for the $99 price!

• January 7, 2014 at 7:51 am

Bottom line: I think that the Dell Streak 5 is still a great phone to hack and mess with and to tune it to the extreme. It’s so easy to apply all kinds of hacks to the older Android version. I won’t get anything Windows related.