ROM Picks: Villuminati Android 4.4.1/CyanogenMod 11 for the HTC EVO 3D

Villuminati home screenVilluminati is an Android 4.4.1 KitKat-based ROM built off of CyanogenMod source for the HTC EVO 3D – and it is perhaps the smoothest that my EVO 3D has run since the overclocked Ice Cream Sandwich-based ROMs.

It’s also the most work I’ve ever had to go through to install a ROM –  although some of that comes from having a stock unrooted EVO 3D to work with at the time, and the requirements that you be S-OFF and running an older HBOOT in order to boot the thing. I eventually settled on 1.04 ENG HBOOT after getting errors without it.

Before you begin, not everything works on this ROM at the moment according to the developer. 4G/WiMAX is not working (I can’t test due to this EVO 3D not being activated), and the GAPPS package they recommend force closed constantly on me. I eventually used this GAPPS package, and the ROM functioned fine. Additionally, whatever bugs CyanogenMod 11 has, you’re also going to inherit.

The ROM doesn’t scream through things, and you’ll find some oddness in places, but it’s exceptionally smooth in what I was playing with. I can’t really comment on it as a primary ROM, but for tooling around on a deactivated device, it did everything I wanted it to. It’s certainly worth a look if you’re wanting to breathe some new life into your old EVO 3D, or holding out for whatever the next big device is.

Having not played around with CM11 much yet, I can’t tell what’s been done to this ROM that’s different than stock CM. (I guess I should get on to flashing a CM11 base soon and see.) This ROM is pretty fun though.

Before you begin, you’ll need TWRP 2.6.3.0 or higher for KitKat support, according to the development thread. You’ll need an HBOOT that’s not 1.58, which means you’ll have to be S-OFF unless you rooted long enough ago (I went with the livecd/Unlimited.io option. I then used the ENG HBOOT here.). Additionally you’ll need a GAPPS package; I suggest the one I linked above, as the others did not work for me.

Screenshots

Viluminati easter egg 2 Villuminati Quadrant Villuminati AnTuTu Villuminati AnTuTu Villuminati launcher Villuminati app drawer Villuminati build info Villuminati easter egg screen

[xda-developers]

Paul E King

11 thoughts on “ROM Picks: Villuminati Android 4.4.1/CyanogenMod 11 for the HTC EVO 3D

• December 10, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Thanks for the info, now I can finally root my Evo 3D. I was gonna root my Evo LTE but decided against it because of the Sense 5 update soon. But my old 3D is still awesome so I want to breathe new life into it, if there is a fully working Sense 5 ROM please tell me about it. And a link would be great. I have too much homework to look and test Roms like crazy. I only have the time to flash them and just regret not having found a good one. Thanks in advance.

• December 10, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Sense 5 is supposedly completely working for the EVO 4G LTE other than Zoe mode in the camera, which for me doesn’t matter, but they’re still working on it.

This is Yankee’s which claims everything is working now – haven’t tried it, it’s up next on my LTE: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2528953

I’m running Captain Throwback’s R24 but about to check out Yankee’s as I’m having some WiFi weirdness that may be unrelated.

• December 10, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I’ve been running Yankees rom for over a week now and it works amazing! Zoe doesn’t work but who really cares all that much. I’m on aboutv2 versions ago.. (believe Y5)as he labels them. Believe he has Y7 out now. Change log has removed some things that you will manually have to install from the store. My version didn’t have those removed yet so I’m not sure what’s going on there. But those are like Google_ apps. Movies/books/etc.. And maybe like you tube for some reason. Anyhow – the rom is great and sense5 runs like a beast on evolte.

• December 10, 2013 at 1:21 pm

For the Evo 3D BTW, not for the LTE.

• December 14, 2013 at 4:32 pm

The GAPPS link is dead, it goes to Everevolv’s site but their site turns up a 404 error.

• December 26, 2013 at 5:57 am

The Gapps link is dead, i tried to use others but blows up.

any recommendation which gapps should we use with this ?

BTW this rom is alsom.

• January 2, 2014 at 7:43 am

Wow, I don’t know how I missed this article. I just did a search for “Android 4.4 EVO 3D” and your article was on of the top results, Paul.

It is nice to see the EVO 3D continue to see good support. I am thinking that mine will probably end up being my son’s to play with in a year or two, so keeping it running the latest and greatest will be awesome.

• January 2, 2014 at 1:19 pm

At the moment my EVO 3D is being used at night to stream music to the crib. Baby’s also convinced cell phones are amazing and tried for my 4G LTE so I do a switch and give her the 3D and it keeps her calm.

I also use it as a baby monitor occasionally when I’m out… perhaps not the fate that the EVO 3D deserved, but it’s still getting a massively useful afterlife.

• January 5, 2014 at 6:00 am

Haha. My son, given his druthers, will grab my or my wife’s phone right out of our hands. ;)

I let him swipe around on the Nook Color’s home screens. He doesn’t seem to mind its slight heft (which actually works to my advantage, so he won’t lift it as much), and it seems he likes the bigger screen. He’s in his “throw everything as hard as I can” phase, so I’m going to wait on giving him the more diminutive EVO 3D. It’ll make a nice game and media device when the time comes, and in the meantime, I get to still tinker with it. :D

• January 18, 2014 at 8:34 am

I gave this ROM a try and it runs very well! I just wish it had working 4G. I’ll keep checking the development thread, hopefully they get it added soon. Until then, the CM 10.1 4.2.2 ROM works just fine for me!

• February 5, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Paul. What’s up with the GAPPs version?