Android 4.4.2 makes its way to rooted HTC EVO 4G LTE

Dirty Unicorns 4.4.2 for the HTC EVO 4G LTEAndroid Alex of Team D.I.R.T. is at it again with a test build of the soon-to-be-released Android 4.4.2 version of Dirty Unicorns. So if you’ve been itching to try KitKat, the time is now.

First off, since we usually get asked a million times, “does this that or the other work,” here’s what doesn’t work properly after testing since last week: The camera button doesn’t spawn the camera app; however, it does work to take a picture. The device is sometimes extremely sluggish in waking up – the screen will be off, but the device will respond as though it’s on. I’ve seen that before in 4.2 ROMs.

I have so far used this with Bluetooth with no issues, used NFC to pair a device, taken pictures, connected to LTE, used Google Maps/Navigation to get to a destination, played a game that required tilt controls, enabled Halo functionality, connected to WiFi, used the built in WiFi hotspot to tether an iPad, and installed Focal to verify that the front-facing camera works, as the default camera app doesn’t seem to have that built in.

In other words, it’s pretty complete. I want the camera app spawn back, and I think the wakeup issue is kernel related, so as soon as I can get my hands on a 4.4.2 replacement kernel, I’ll try that out – but even like this, it’s a flippin’ sweet ROM.

A quick rundown of some of the features includes:

• Paranoid Android’s Halo
  • Dirty Unicorns tweaks app
  • ActiveDisplay
  • Gesture Anywhere
  • OmniSwitch
  • DU wallpaper downloader
  • Init.d tweak chooser
  • Build.prop mod manager

And many many more.

There currently isn’t an official support thread for the test builds, but you can join the Google+ group and get help should you need it. You can find download links at the link below.

Dirty Unicorns 4.4.2 screenshotDirty Unicorns 4.4.2 screenshot

One of the things you’ll figure out quickly with this ROM is that while it benchmarks pretty abysmally, it flies in responsiveness. On AnTuTu and Quadrant Standard, I’m seeing about a 30% decrease in scores, but I’d swear I was running nearly 50% faster. This is why we don’t go exclusively by benchmarks.

Random thing to try if you’re trying this for wakeup issues: changing the governor from Interactive to Ondemand seems to have cleared up the thing, but I haven’t tried it for an extended period, and I’ve gone a couple of hours in the past without it locking the screen down. Nope.

Anyway, it’s a great ROM and seems to be getting better with every build. If you find any bugs I missed, let us know.

[Google+]
become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

Paul E King

10 thoughts on “Android 4.4.2 makes its way to rooted HTC EVO 4G LTE

January 20, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Hi, there’s a large difference between 4.4 and 4.4.2 to include security updates, bug fixes and much more.

As far as the UI or things that users can see, I say is pretty much the same but for me I can definitely see an increase in performance and why not upgrade to the latest Android version?

For a full change, I would advice you to check out https://funkyandroid.com

Thank you again Paul for such a honest review :)

January 20, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Thanks for the explanation, but at this point, I think I’m too lazy to do a full wipe, reinstall all my stuff, etc.

The ROM I mentioned is working pretty well, so until I get bored w/ it, I think I’ll stay put.

Was reading a bit that the latest KitKat for the EVO 4G LTE has “spotty” data connection for some users, is this true?

January 21, 2014 at 10:51 am

Ah ok, yeah if something works for you….by all means, stick with it :)

I don’t know about data, my LTE is not activated so I have no data

January 21, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Is there a fix?

Don’t have as much time to browse the forums as I used to… (:

January 28, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Hi, I just received my HTC EVO 4G. I bought it through freedom pop for my girlfriend. It still has android 2.1 running.
    The battery life is beyond abysmal, about 7 hours with light use between charges.
    I have rooted one phone successfully by following step by step directions.
    I would like to upgrade to a version of android 4.2, I need a very stable ROM; as it’s for the girlfriend it absolutely has to be trouble free and stable.
    Can you post a link to step by step directions for rooting, upgrading, and ensuring it still works on the Sprint/Freedompop network?
    Thanks

January 28, 2014 at 1:22 pm

I don’t think there are any completely trouble free and stable ROMs at the moment. There are mostly stable. Even Sprint’s deployment ROM is riddled with issues.

Look up “state of root” and pick the newest one, should have a link to a root guide. There’s a tool out there that does most of the work for you with the EVO 4G LTE series, I can’t remember it at the moment. Sorry, I’ve got a severe cold or mild flu and am pretty much beat at the moment.

I’m also unfamiliar with Freedompop, I’ll look this up later and see if there are any considerations that need to be done, but for the moment I am going to pass back out and home this demon cold clears up.

January 28, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Thank you for the candid advice, I’ll do a little homework