HTC EVO 4G LTE Sense 5 Android 4.2.2 JellyBean ROM released

Sense 5 SinnerIf you’re fed up waiting for Sprint and HTC to to get their act together and release the Sense 5/Android 4.2.2 update for the HTC EVO 4G LTE, it might be nearing the time to unlock your phone and take matters into your own hands. Developers SinisterTensai and Chubbzlou have recently released an Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM for the HTC EVO 4G LTE, but it’s not quite complete yet.

(I will note here that the image shown here is placeholder only – I don’t have screenshots of this particular ROM, but that’s stock Sense 5.)

The bugs listed so far are a nonworking camera and something with the Exchange security policy, but very few other bugs have been complained about in the development thread. The camera issues are kernel related, so we’ll have to wait a little longer for those to get ironed out.

One thing to note is that, if you’re flashing this, you’ll need to be using a standard TWRP recovery. If you’ve recently downloaded one that flashes KitKat ROMs, you might notice your phone explodes. Probably not, but it evidently has problems with the third party modified TWRPs.

If you’re still on the fence, you can wait a little longer as we’ve heard some rumors (and HTC’s site) that we’re still getting an update to 4.3 and Sense 5, or you can abandon hope as there have been reports we’re never going to see an update, root away, and take control of your phone and run a 4.4.2 ROM if you want.

Anyway, if you can live without the camera, make sure you’re running a normal version of TWRP, make a nandroid backup of your current setup in case something goes wrong, then flash away. Let us know how this runs for you if you get it installed!

[xda-developers]

Paul E King

6 thoughts on “HTC EVO 4G LTE Sense 5 Android 4.2.2 JellyBean ROM released

• January 21, 2014 at 7:27 am

Rom runs smooth and I liked to couple of additions they added in, but the non working camera is a deal breaker for me. Other than that it’s a good rom. And I didn’t have an issue Exchange security worked good for me.

• January 21, 2014 at 11:58 am

What’s the most stable developer build at this point for a rooted/S-OFF HTC Evo LTE? I’m on Dirty Unicorn 4.3.1 and I’m plagued with regular boot-loops. I get lost in the forums looking for a clear answer.

• January 22, 2014 at 7:29 am

Thanks, I’ll give it a try! I really prefer the AOSP experience but haven’t had a clean ride on the Evo LTE…

• January 21, 2014 at 9:16 pm

I’m using the Y10 s-off. But he has a S-on version and also a slightly just behind cyan blue version. Again, great sense 5 rom and is perfectly stable with a custom kernel I found if you wanna OC.

• January 22, 2014 at 10:50 am

Hey NP. I do also enjoy the ASOP Roms as well. Cm__ was the last rom I used that made my OG evo4g still relevant to the very last day I had it. However on my evolte, Idk.. Some things are just a little off for me. First being the camera. Htc has done such (IMO) a great job with there camera software, that unless they themselves “upgrade” the software then everything else just doesn’t quite seem to do the job. However, I don’t use Sense really either. I use Nova as my launcher, so the experience is little more “stock/customized/more gestures” but I have the great widgets to use and the camera is still stock.

Interesting note : on this rom, for whatever reason you can actually have the stock camera and gallery and also the (other) stock camera and gallery. – think photosphear/stock android/cm camera setup. All installed and working just fine. So yes I have my stock camera and I can open the other camera and make a photosphear. Pretty crazy to think about really.

They do recommend flashing rom,boot, remove just gallery(use file manager or titanium), install custom camera/gallery, reboot.. Bingo.
    However when I installed this rom coming from another sense 5 rom I actually forgot that step and it still works with both camera/galleries installed. ?? Lol I don’t know but, it makes the phone even that much cooler. In fact I believe I may just keep this phone until something really amazing comes out. And sure I’d love that to be the next evo.. But I won’t hold my breath. Hopefully we will find out from HTC soon. It is the natural life cycle of the EVO to get another make and model release this year.