AndroidGood and EVO

Updated: Sprint HTC One KitKat update released

kitkat Android

If you’re the owner of a Sprint HTC One and want KitKat on it, despite the apology letter offered earlier this week that it wasn’t going to be available for a while, on Sprint it is. Unfortunately, it was on Sprint’s update servers only for a brief moment before the Grinch stole KitKat.

Update: Evidently it’s live again. So go and grab your KitKat on Sprint.

The update was available for a short time by manually instigating a software update check, and then it was abruptly discontinued by Sprint for as of yet unknown reasons.

Most likely the update was planned for a different timeframe, some last minute certification holdup, or perhaps Sprint wanted to be able to say “FIRST!” for something for the first time in a while.

While the news that it’s not yet available and no developers have as of yet laid their hands on the update files may sound bad, it’s pretty good news that there exists an update, there are at least some people who managed to get said update, and so hopefully a good copy will be delivered to the root community until such time as Sprint releases it to the HTC One eco-verse.

I’m betting that since the thing is loaded and ready to deploy that, unless there are major problems with it (in which case you wouldn’t want it anyway) it’ll be released soon enough.

If you happened to grab a copy of the 4.06.561.4 HTC One KitKat update or get notification of it, let us know. In the meantime all the people pounding the software update site can stop for a bit, if it says there’s no software available, checking again in twenty seconds isn’t going to change anything. Also stop for a bit because I can’t download the previous updates for my wife’s phone because people are hitting those servers so hard tonight.

[xda-developers]

Paul E King

35 thoughts on “Updated: Sprint HTC One KitKat update released

• You still might want to check for the update because I just checked and I am downloading now 2-1-14 @ 8am. I live in south florida.

• Getting it right now!!! 7:07am 2/1/14

Got something too. Downloading now. Got it at 805am. SE Michigan. Didn’t check to see what it was, just started the download since I seen that it was-is-maybe taken down.

• I’m downloading it right now!

So far, so good. Seems more fluid. A printing option, Drive, blinkfeed has a different look. HTC apps button and HTC back-up. Gallery has changed. Still checking it out.

• Downloading now in Kansas City

Got it this morning at 805am. SE Michigan. Messing around with it now. Seems more fluid. Blinkfeed is a bit different. Gallery has changed. It looks like I got .10GB of storage. Somehow.

• Downloading now on BOTH of my Red and Black HTC One Phones, cool!

• Downloading now. 11am in chi. Android news update app. Says available for all sprint customers by manually checking.

• Downloading now LB, CA 940a PST

It did install the google version of books, games, movies & TV, music, and newsstand. How do you get rid of them? I don’t use or want them.

Uninstall them or disable them. Depending on if they’re system apps or not.

My guess is you should be able to uninstall most Google apps. Cheers.

Downloading @ 4pm in VA Beach. This version comes with Sense 5.5, correct?

Yup. Sense 5.5.

You’ll probably notice Sense 5.5 more than KitKat. KitKat is more under the hood stuff than anything, except maybe immersive mode.

When is Sprint going to release Kitkat for my EVO 4G OG.

Haha. Right after Google updates the Galaxy Nexus to KitKat.

Joking aside, it’s funny that an OG EVO 4G would probably benefit greatly from KitKat. My B&N Nook Color has a single core CPU and 512MB of RAM, and it runs REALLY well on Android 4.4.2.

Good. Now deliver the T-Mobile HTC One KitKat update.

My guess AT&T and T-Mobile will be battling for second place after Sprint. Verizon will come in last place as usual.

No lock screen widgets?

I used to use this to change songs while driving without taking my eyes off the road.

• Updated mine this morning. Noticed that the emoji app now works for text messages. Also when doing a picture attachment via text it give you the option to add a picture from the camera, gallery, and now there is a new drawing option where you can draw a sketch and send it via text. Pretty cool

Just downloaded and installed it. Now doing my usual full wipe to start clean.

How do you do a full wipe & what are the benefits of it?

• full wipe removes all data from phone so if there’s an issue with an application updating and trying to work with an old database there is none any more as you don’t have old database.

Same with settings – wipes out any settings you might have modified so you get the experience that was intended.

However, it removes all data, you’ve got to go back and set up everything again…

To do this, there’re a few ways – one is, if I remember correctly, in settings but I don’t have that phone in front of me at the moment. The other way is to boot into bootloader (hold power+vol down when the phone is off) and choose factory reset.

Basically, there should be no issues with an upgrade, but if there are this removes the possibility that the issues were from old data.

Thank you Howard and Paul. My phone is working flawlessly without the wipe. I have been tinkering with it non-stop since yesterday morning. I did notice it now allows 6 Home Screens now and off course the ability to add additional home screens for widgets to the lock screen.

Only gripe I have which is minor and not a bug, is now when I want to post to from Blinkfeed the shortcut compose icon is now gone so I have to click menu then compose. But hey that’s nothing… All the complaints about Sprint never getting it right. Well I would like to give them and HTC praise for a change. Great job.

Honestly, I’d recommend just updating and then testing it out first for a few days to a week. I’ve never really needed to do a full factory reset after updates for my wife’s HTC One and it’s been 100% fine.

Doing the full wipe is more of a precautionary thing, but like I said, it’s worth just testing the update out WITHOUT wiping. Less setting things back up if everything is fine.

Downloading in San Jose, CA @ 8am

Are we able to get a full list of this new update? The screen only said very little other than 5.5 and other enhancements. Thanks bud.

• Is it just me or did this update break Voice over LTE?

When using Google Now voice search seems to be lagging a lot. Has anyone else notice this?

• I get really flaky youtube connections now, not sure if it’s due to some change in wifi management from the update or if it has to do with the app itself. I tried disabling the wifi and just using the 3g connection but got the same results of “there was an error playing the video” or whatever it said…though it’s sprint 3g, so we all know how stable that is ;)

• For what it’s worth, when I get those errors, it seems that I have to reboot the entire phone, and then they go away…at least for a while :)

Not sure if this is a new issue but with the recent Android update, while connected to WiFi. My connection cuts out or drops off, connects to 3g/4g and connects back to WiFi. The connection optimizer is unchecked. Did a full reset and still have the issue.