AndroidGood and EVOSoftware Updates

Android 4.3 will come to HTC EVO 4G LTE as a direct download from HTC, not OTA

evo-4g-lte-frontThe Android 4.3 update will not come to the HTC EVO 4G LTE as a regular OTA update, but owners will be happy to know that HTC is still working on an update for more “technical” users who want the newer software on their devices. The Taiwanese manufacturer is currently working on a “simple process” for users to update, which will probably look very much like an RUU update – one in which you run a program on your PC, plug in your phone, and wait for it to be updated automatically.

This is right in line with what Paul predicted would happen last week based on technical limitations of the EVO 4G LTE, after he got his hands on some prerelease software. Pocketables reported that this might happen before any other tech news site, and before HTC’s announcement about the matter last weekend.

While the update isn’t quite ready for primetime yet, HTC is actually looking for people willing to beta test the upgrade process. Interested parties can simply email [email protected].

Here’s HTC’s full statement:

This is actually a unique circumstance. Given the memory partition size limit, an OTA update won’t be possible. However, we are developing a simple process for our more technical customers to update the Evo on their own.

We’re actually booting up a trial, so for folks looking to get involved they can sign up here: [email protected] (this email is just getting booted up, so please send a note this evening)

[Reddit via Android and Me]

John F

40 thoughts on “Android 4.3 will come to HTC EVO 4G LTE as a direct download from HTC, not OTA

This explains a lot! But if you’re running a custom ROM though, is there another way to resize the Evo LTE’s partitions?

• Issue I’m guessing is bootloader/hboot. It has to recognize the partitions correctly, so you need an updated version of that.

the partition layout isn’t just files, it’s also radio firmware that gets loaded, so your firmware’s going to have to be in the correct location.

I’d say probably no way with new radio firmware and hboot to make it work. I mean, there’s a way, I know how theoretically to do it, but we don’t have developers who work on the radio firmware to release modified block firmware…

• I was able to get the update Saturday and performed the update. It was basically a RUU of the new update (new HBOOT, new firmware). It took about 20-30 minutes to install. The phone runs so much better. All of the actions are smooth, apps load fast, and GPS seems to lock in really fast. I hope HTC goes forward with this update, it really makes the phone way better.

I emailed HTC and got the RUU from them and everything goes swell until my phone reboots and I get a USB connection error. What drivers were you using on your computer? Which version of windows were you running? Do you have the SDK installed on your computer ? Any help would be great.

Yes I am. I have heard that this only works on Windows 7 – is this true?

I’ve been looking for a windows 7 computer to try it on.

Couldn’t they have said this a long time ago? Its not like they just found this out.

Fred,
    I have tried to email the trial email address twice and it has been returned each time. How did you get access to the update?

Thanks.

Wooo! The last of a legendary collection, so glad to see HTC supporting the final Evo.

I love this phone. Hopefully the update makes it even better. The anticipation is gonna kill me!

I sent an email as well and i got it sent back saying restricted email

Yeah email just sent back to page

Got the RRU on Saturday and didn’t get to put it on my phone till Sunday night. Been playing with it all morning. GREAT so far. So much smoother. Still figuring a lot of the differences out and seeing if I line BlinkFeed, but very good so far.

Does anyone know what the ninja n looking icon in the toolbar is? I can figure it out? Thanks

• Near Field Connect notification icon. To disable it you’ll either need to disable NFC, or root the thing and edit an XML file.

Oh great! Thanks for the info Paul!

How I keep getting an error after I send it to them saying it’s restricted, please help I want this update so bad.

If you go back as far as I do with Android and HTC, an OTW (over the wire) update was the norm back then. My HTC Hero got it’s Android 2.1 (yeah, THAT long ago) update that way.

They made you download HTC Sync and the update RUU executable and then you plugged in via USB and let the “magic” happen. So, this shouldn’t be so difficult for the non-tech savvy, as long as they back up their media first (due to the repartitioning).

So…
    Will this update un root my phone? Will it be re-root able ? Will developers be able to turn this in to custom Roms?
    I’m running a sense5 rom now and don’t wanna permanently loose root.

• It will unroot your phone and lock your bootloader.

You can then unlock your bootloader and root your phone if they’ve got the update on the HTCDev site at the time you do it. Or if you’re S-OFF I’d imagine you wouldn’t have to unlock, but who knows what the new hboot does.

And yes, they’ll turn this into custom ROMs, that’s what the one I’m running on is – ripped out of the beta RUU

I’ve been getting the restricted error message since Friday. How in the world did you guys all join the trial?

Perhaps the trial filled up fast? Just a guess.

There might have been huge demand and they just shut down the email address after a certain allotment was achieved. Again, just speculating here.

WHAAAAT!! DAMN YOU HTC! THIS IS A TRAVESTY! MAKES NO SENSE! NO WONDER HTC IS LOSING CUSTOMERS. I HAVE A LOT INVESTED HERE MEDIA LINK AND ALL. SAMSUNG JUST GOT MY BUSINESS!!

• No, it makes perfect sense. They screwed up two years ago when they pushed the EVO 4G LTE out the door, this is the only way to reasonably fix it without making a huge mess of completely rigged symlinks and directories.

The update method will be backup, install, restore. It’ll be a couple more steps and you’ll finally be running on an Android OS that isn’t limping along like we’ve been since day one.

You might think we’ve had it good in EVO world, but our OS and HTC’s piss poor patching have been really really bad.

This is possibly the first EVO 4G LTE update that’s done right, and it’s unfortunate that it’s going to require a computer and a few minutes of work to do, but there’s no way without rigging the hell out of an already mucked up carrier ROM to make it work right.

Thanks for your info, Paul. I figured it would re-lock my phone but wanted to ask. Now, I am s-off so what does that do for me?.. If anything? I’m guessing it could revert the device to a completely “stock” state.. Which I’m OK with knowing how to achieve root, but I see where htc dev would have to be up to date for that to go smoothly.

Paul, is there a chance that after release and development time goes by that I could just wait for a “custom” rom that kinda has the whole process down and more or less a 1click/”regular” rom flash.?. Or are we gonna have to go the official route first, unlock/root, then wait for custom rom development?
    Thanks for all your insite

• I wouldn’t worry about going S-ON, leave it S-OFF, they’re not checking that.

You’re always going to have to flash the firmware in order to get the next gen ROMs working, but it’ll be a two-flash process for most… and there’ll definitely be custom ROMs waiting a day or two after release.

Method for lossless custom ROM upgrade will be something like TB to external SD, nandroid to external SD, update firmware and recovery (one zip flashable already there), flash ROM. All future ROMs will just be flash ROM.

This is just a one-time couple of extra steps.

Fair enough. Reminds me of the last few months of evo 4g.. Just when I was anticipating the news of a new evo.. I was flashing Roms and getting the best experiences I’d had on the original device.

I’ll be honest. This phone is still quite capable and performance is part of really anything out there. Sure there are new devices with better specs but htc did a great job with the htc evolte. Besides this new partition stuff. The camera and software for it is still IMO some ofthe best. (this camera takes great pics!)

If only we could get the kickstand on the Sprint version of the new “one” series and make it batman black and call it an evo.. I’m still hoping.. :-P.

• If your rooted, you can flash the rom via the xda thread that was also posted here on G&E. Its based on this RUU update

Can anyone with the beta update post it for us others to try? Or is that against the rules?

• Sorry for posting then leaving! It looks as if most of the question have been answered already.

For those asking about the email address, I reached out to HTC on Twitter after reading about it on another Android site. I’m not sure the employee who emailed me would want his address blasted out of the ‘tubes.

I am noticing an issue regarding the signal strength indicator. I seem to get a weaker overall signal than before (on both the home screen indicatorand the actual RSSI numbers), but the speeds and strength seem just as good if not better.

I noticed the same about the signal strength indicator yesterday. I haven’t had over three bars and most of the time one bar or no bars shows. Haven’t made calls yet to test but hopefully it’s what you say that it still worms fine, just showing low.

can anyone who has the link share the site to download it

I would like to get this update as well, but their email address is bouncing. Anyone can share the link or does it require some kind of email auth? I guess I can wait for the release.

OK Paul, I will give it a shot. But I’m one step closer to a Samsung product. It already ate my 64 gig SD card. Sephamore time out.? I can see all my folders but can’t access any of it

• Help!!!! I have the RUU but own a mac, is there a way to perform the update through a mac or do I need a pc

• Use a virtual PC on the Mac, install Wine or similar to run the windows program. VMWare fusion. Etc.
      Has to be done from a windows OS last I checked

i got the ruu update and have win 8.1. the update runs and i get bootloader screen on the phone, but it crashes with error 171, as if I disconnected the phone. this is so frustrating…should i install from win 7 only and not win 8.1?

• Yes, 8+ has been a nightmare for people unless they jump through the hops of replacing the USB drivers

• I downloaded the ruu onto a windows simulator on my mac (vmware) and everything was going great but as soon as it reached 52 percent it stopped and it only says searching. What can i do?