Chrome OS has doubled its web traffic in just five months

chrome-logoI’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: Naysayers be damned! In just five short months, Chrome OS has managed to double its share of web traffic, even if only a small minority of people use Chrome OS devices.

This latest claim comes courtesy of the ad network Chitika, which claims that Chrome OS traffic accounts for 0.2% of all internet traffic in its network. This is higher than the 0.07% reported a year ago.

Keep in mind that Chitika draws its data from a sample of only around 300,000 websites, which is a fraction of the number that similar studies use. What it does still show, though, is that Chrome OS use is on the rise – and fast. After all, if Chrome OS wasn’t a real threat to traditional computing as we know it, why else would Microsoft run so many anti-Google ads? And couldn’t those ad dollars be better spent on explaining why Windows is supposedly better than Chrome OS, especially if Chrome OS is “just a browser?”

[Tech Crunch]

John F

6 thoughts on “Chrome OS has doubled its web traffic in just five months

• February 22, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Is the reason for the increase because Chrome has replaced the stock browser in Android devices?
    Or are they talking Chrome Book type devices?

• February 23, 2014 at 3:00 pm

This is only Chrome OS devices, like Chromebooks and Chromeboxes. Chrome for Android is completely different.

• February 23, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Then that is impressive.
        My kid does not want a Chrome Book to replace a Win7 Laptop. I said just reinstall Win7, got an eye roll in response.
        My other one Loves Chrome, uses it for everything.
        I have not had an opportunity to put Chrome OS to work for me.

• February 23, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Doubling it’s traffic would put it at .14, pretty sure you can say it’s nearly tripled traffic

• February 24, 2014 at 5:54 am

In the last 5 months it’s doubled its traffic. In the last year, yes, it’s nearly tripled.

• February 24, 2014 at 6:20 am

That is impressive and a bit surprising to me. Still, now that I have gotten Chrome Remote Desktop to work well, I’m using an Acer C720 as my main laptop and it works great. At this point, I don’t even connect to my desktop much at all. Anyways, I think a lot of the problem is that people at first thought that they needed windows for some reason, but as ChromeOS has gotten better people are realizing that running WIndows to check facebook and email is overkill. It is almost a shift in the mindset for mobile computing for most people, that less is actually more. The cheap price of Chromebooks certainly has something to do with it too. Anyways, all this has been said before, but this is mostly to say that this impressive growth has the potential to continue for quite a while.