AndroidGood and EVOSoftware Updates

RUU update

We predicted it would happen, confirmed it a few days later, and then explained why it won’t be so bad after all. The Android 4.3/Sense 5 RUU is now available for the HTC EVO 4G LTE for the public, without having to request it from HTC by email and downloading from an obscure file sharing site.

Martin Fichter, one of HTC’s US vice presidents, has posted the link on his Twitter account, and unlike previous RUUs, it looks like this is compatible with any EVO 4G LTE hardware revision in existence. It also appears to be compatible with all versions of Windows 8, fixing previous compatibility issues. There is no mention of this being a public beta, so most of you should feel fairly safe installing this.

The RUU file is 826MB, so make sure you’ve got some time to download and install it – the total process usually takes at least 10-20 minutes. Additionally, you can follow our tips here to back up your data, so you don’t lose anything important.

Update: Here’s the direct download link.

[Twitter via Android Police]

John F

35 thoughts on “HTC officially releases Android 4.3/Sense 5 RUU for HTC EVO 4G LTE to the public

• Will this wipe the SD card? Or should I just remove it to be safe?

• So, if we have root/s-off we should wait for someone to hack this?

I did this last night. Not this specific update, but the Update your s-off one. So the beta install. So far it is awesome. Not sure on blinkfeed. Going to give it a few days.

• Thank you HTC wow I feel like I have a new phone now

• It’s giving me an error code saying that it cannot detect my phone. Everything is plugged in correctly.

• It says that the drivers are installed correctly. Not sure why this isn’t working.

Try a different USB port. I had same problem a while back and realized USB 3 or 2 had a issue. Sorry can’t remember which one. But it was that easy.
    Paul or John would know the specifics.

Anyone having problems with text message proptness? Ever since the updat they take 20 min to an hour, sometimes the next day even to get to me…

Has anybody tried this yet with Windows XP? (No laughing, I have to keep it for now for my work.)

Yes it works on xp though took forever!!!!! Have xp at my job too..The RUU will download and just hang for like 5 mins. I mean literally you open the file after download and nothing happens for 5 to 10 mins. Then finally the ruu will open and crawl to initiate update. In all it took me about 45 mins to update at work but it was worth it so far.

Just remember if you open file after it downloads and nothing happens then just wait….and wait….and wait….eventually ruu will start up and download…

Mine actually runs within a min or two on XP, but on the first screen it goes almost all the way to the end before backing up 2 bar increments then goes forward again and quits. Left phone plugged in over night and nothing happened. Tried it a couple more times with the same result.

Guess I’m gonna have to bring my work laptop home to do it to my GF’s phone.

Installed on my wife’s EVO LTE, took about 20 minutes. So far its running great. Looks pretty close to my HTC One now. No delay on text messaging either.

• I’m using Windows 8. When I open the program its says, “RUU setup is preparing the InstallShield WIzard, which will guide you through the rest of the setup process.” The progress bar finishes and then the window closes and nothing happens.

Anybody have any solutions?

• I got to restarting hboot said something about a ROM error and bombed out on me. Fortunately it let my old rom intact

I am having the same problem with not detecting my phone. Also, for some reason the computer is recognizing it as a camera. It was not doing this when I first plugged it into the computer but now it will only recognize it as a camera and the RUU updater will not detect it at all.

Do you think the rooting community will make an automated update utility like this one? I could just hold off till then

• Try enabling USB Debugging, I tried with it off and it wouldn’t detect. Then turned on and it did. However it says its the wrong image updater for my device

gave htc a call because it gave error 171 and they had told me that it should not have been put up yet?

• It seems like this new update has broken the ability for a landscape home screen when putting into a dock/cradle… anyone else experience this? I use the official Sprint car dock (ibolt i think)

Well that’s a deal-breaker for me. I use that cradle not only in the car but other mount situations where I really want the rotating launcher.

I suspected this about Sense 5 because I tried an HTC One for a while and noticed there was no landscape home screen when docked. Even worse was no homescreen at all when connected to the Media Link HD. It only allowed a stripped-down blink feed screen with access to a limited number of media-type apps while on TV. Sucks! Ima stick with my regular 4.1.1 ROM as I have no app space issues and I like everything else.

I have Meanbean right now. So do I need to revert to an RUU before updating to this version?

• The only thing you may have to do in order to run this is re-lock your bootloader via fastboot (fastboot oem lock). Then, run the RUU. Otherwise, it WILL fail on you. However, as Paul mentioned earlier, once you do this, you will remain locked until HTC Dev decides to allow you to unlock again. If you are s-off, you will remain s-off. If it’s like my EVO3D was, you can just flash a different HBOOT via .zip on your SD Card. Or, do the CaptainThrowback’s version…

I just got off of a chat with HTC, the rep said this will be coming out OTA “very soon” it is in integration phase.

• Considering they wrote a statement saying it was never going to be OTA, and it can’t be OTA due to problems we’ve discussed a couple of days before they issued that statement, I think your HTC rep doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

I figured as much. That having been said, I am a tech noob, is there anyway to back up apps so I dont lose my game data?

• yup, wait a couple of days, I’m about to figure out the exact process for non-root folk. Alternately, if you can find a guide let me know and I’ll point people to it.

Thank you in advance Paul!

• A lot of people are saying HTC Sync needs to be uninstalled before the update can be run.

Is this true? That’s the only way I’ve made backups of my data…

No, just the opposite. It must be installed and open when running the update. I did my update today and am very happy with the results

• Anyone know where I can download the update? The current links no longer work… Thanks