Sense 5/Android 4.3 comes to S-OFF HTC EVO 4G LTE

Sense 5 Android 4.3 HTC EVO 4G LTESense 5 Android 4.3 has been released by Captain_Throwback for S-OFF HTC EVO 4G LTE devices in the form of a flashable update to software version 4.13.651.1, the presumed final Sprint update to the former flagship product. The update brings Blinkfeed, better battery life, and presumably all the smoothness that comes with later releases of Android and Sense.

Known issues with this ROM appear to be some funkiness with moving apps to SD, occasional phantom leftovers after an app is uninstalled, and it requires a specially built version of TWRP in order to flash, which is provided in the source thread below. You can read about the full experience there; there are already 49 pages as of this writing about miscellaneous issues and experiences.

It appears that this is a slightly more involved install than most, with the partitions being updated and the requirement of a specialized modified recovery. In other words, if you’re not comfortable spending time learning how to restore your phone after a borked partition change, you might want to sit it out for a couple of days until everything gets squared away.

As you’re updating radio firmware, there’s a chance you might not be able to venture back or even flash an AOSP ROM that will work for anything with the radios that are included.

If you are going to install, make sure you have a copy on a computer of your current recovery, make a nandroid, copy that nandroid off to your computer, and then proceed along with the directions for flashing the new recovery, firmware, and ROM. If everything works as it’s supposed to, copying your nandroid off the phone will have cost you a couple of minutes of time. If the partitions all get screwed up and everything has to be wiped, you’ll have a copy of your backup handy on your computer.

It should be noted: in the FAQ, it explicitly states that after installing the firmware update, the partitions will change and no older ROMs will ever work again. So yeah, make sure you read carefully and understand where this rabbit hole takes you, or sit it out a couple of days and let other people do the guinea pig work for you. I’ll be one of them, I’m sure.

Have fun!

[xda-developers]

Paul E King

10 thoughts on “Sense 5/Android 4.3 comes to S-OFF HTC EVO 4G LTE

• February 10, 2014 at 9:28 am

I was hoping his original stock modified release from the yet to be released ota

• February 10, 2014 at 10:40 am

Until the actual Sprint OTA this is probably the closest we’re going to see.

So this is probably the closest we’re ever going to see.

/rimshot

• February 10, 2014 at 1:15 pm

They claim february for the ota, I’ll just be here….on meanbean….waiting….then on an S5 with att as soon as my contract is up.

• February 10, 2014 at 2:25 pm

I’ll hope… I’d like to see my EVO do what I know it’s capable of… it flies on 4.4 ROMs, but man the data problems I kept getting are just killer with AOSP.

• February 10, 2014 at 2:14 pm

I’ve been running this for a day or so. It’s fairly stable, although not for the faint of heart when installing. It requires a decent knowledge of ADB commands, fastboot, recovery, etc. Other than that, not that difficult.

Overall, i’m much happier with it than other Sense 5 ROMS i’ve tried. I also like the Zoe camera.

• February 10, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Unless HTC comes out with a new EVO within the next month, that blows my socks off, i’m switching to a Sony Xperia Z1S.

HTC leaves alot to desired with updates.

• February 10, 2014 at 2:24 pm

considering they’re going to concentrate on midrange phones my guess is we’re not going to see top end from them for a while.

I also am pretty sure the EVO line is done, but that’s just guessing…

• February 10, 2014 at 3:34 pm

A lot to be desired for updates? That’s why my HTC one is running 4.4.2 kitkat and was the first phone to get it in the US not unlocked on a carrier.

• February 10, 2014 at 11:25 pm

yes, if you buy their current flagship phone you’ll get an update. The HTC EVO 4G LTE was their flagship phone for all of 4 months and then it’s been a waiting game with each release bringing some new levels of terror.

The EVO 4G LTE spent nearly a year without the ability to use Google Navigation due to how Sense messed up things with one of their updates… that’s a *lot* to be desired in terms of updates.

Wait until the One is not the flagship and see how you feel about it.