Sprint WiFi calling is confirmed – here’s what you should know

Sprint logo grey background

We reported on rumors that Sprint would soon offer WiFi calling on some of its existing handsets back in January, and now it looks as if those rumors have been confirmed. Sprint announced earlier today that WiFi calling would be a free feature for users of select devices, with more device support coming in 2014.

The feature will initially be available after an OTA update for the Samsung Galaxy Mega and Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini over the next few weeks. After installing the update, customers will be able to activate WiFi calling through a new app in their app drawer.

Sprint hasn’t said which other devices should get this feature, but I’d imagine that most of the major phones in Sprint’s lineup – like the HTC One or Samsung Galaxy Note 3 – should get it soon. There’s also no mention in this press release about whether or not some of the rumored restrictions would be in place, like the requirement for the phone to detect a CDMA signal before making a WiFi call (kind of defeats the purpose, doesn’t it?).

Hopefully we’ll be able to get clarification on that soon.

[Sprint]

John F

11 thoughts on “Sprint WiFi calling is confirmed – here’s what you should know

• February 21, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Guess I’m a little confused..
    Other than not having a cell signal but having good Internet What’s the point?
    Sprint is basically unlimited everything no matter what plan you have.. Especially phone calls.

Now, that being said, I do actually have A Sprint repeater that gives me better (phone call signal… NOT DATA @ALL) in my house, and I use WiFi for.. Well WiFi. So I understand the idea of this but maybe Sprint has a idea for implementing the technology for its phones and no extra hardware?

• February 22, 2014 at 11:04 pm

I wonder if I’ll be able calls from outside the US to US using Wifi.

• February 22, 2014 at 11:04 pm

I wonder if I’ll be able calls from outside the US?

• February 23, 2014 at 12:37 am

I have had WiFi calling 2 years now. I use Google voice and groove ip. And I don’t have to worrie about location.
    And I can use it on any device with groove ip installed with my Google account on it.so when I am hacking my phone I can fire up my nexus 7 and use it to Make and receive calls, and text messages.

• February 23, 2014 at 7:15 am

Main difference with a carrier IP technology is you’re going to get carrier level packet routing. Having played with Sprint’s VOIP, it’s significantly better than GrooveIP is able to do.

Not that I don’t use GrooveIP, but I’d really rather use Sprint’s carrier agreed paths

• February 23, 2014 at 4:28 pm

I too have been wondering what the point is if you have to have a CDMA signal. But while I was in northern New Hampshire this weekend, away from native Sprint service, I realized how great WiFi calling would be if it allowed a Verizon signal to count as the CDMA signal. If all they need is a domestic CDMA signal, then we’re looking at vastly expanded coverage for Sprint customers when they travel off-network but want to place or receive a call while stationary.

Does anyone know if it has to be a Sprint CDMA signal? If so, disregard post. :)

• February 23, 2014 at 4:29 pm

And I do realize that we have roaming included, but only to a certain point. If you’re going to spend weeks in an off-network area Sprint won’t get mad at you.

• February 25, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Whats the point if u need a cdma signal , Sprints trying to shed and free up data on Verizon , at&t , net zero towers and off Sprint roaming charges

• February 26, 2014 at 8:12 pm

I agree about the CDMA signal requirement. It shouldn’t matter if it’s a Sprint signal or a Verizon signal, because it shouldn’t require a CDMA signal at all. If they are going to offer wi-fi calling and I have wi-fi access, that should be all that’s needed. Sprint has just about used up all it’s good will with me and I’m seriously considering bailing when my contract is up. I was talking with a co-worker who recently went over to T-Mobile (from Verizon). He and some friends went to visit someone that lived in pretty high altitude. None of them had signal (no matter the carrier), but because the person they visited had wi-fi, he was able to make/receive calls with no problems.