Site news: Comment on Pocketables articles using Disqus

disqus-logo

In our continual quest to make Pocketables a better place for both our readers and our writers, we wanted to let you know about a new commenting system that we’ve put in place. Going forward, Disqus is going to be handling all our comments, which has a couple distinct advantages for all of us:

• Less spam. We’ve been getting tons of comment spam lately, which is good because it means Pocketables is getting noticed, but is also bad because it meant we had to implement stricter moderating policies. Disqus should drastically cut down on the amount of spam we’re getting, so your comments will appear faster (usually right away), and we’ll have more time to bring you awesome content.
  • More features. Disqus lets you log in with your Google, Facebook, or Twitter accounts, so you won’t need to type in your information over and also. Alternately, you can quickly and easily sign up for a new Disqus account as you leave your comment. In all cases, it’s easier to keep track of your previous comments, and see who has responded to your comments, as well.

We’ve already migrated all of your old comments to Disqus, but keep in mind that since this is a new commenting system, we’re all starting fresh. (For example, Disqus says that I’ve only left four comments on Pocketables so far, when I’ve actually left thousands.) Even though your old comments are all there, they might not show your custom avatar or be linked to your Disqus account.

Just so you know, there are some other kinks we’re still working out, too. It doesn’t help that Disqus has been having massive outages almost immediately after we switched everything over. But in any case, we’re aware of some bugs (like inaccurate comment counts), and we’re working on a fix. Bear with us in the meantime.

We think Disqus will encourage even more interaction between our readers and writers, and we’re really excited about some other stuff we’ve got up our sleeves. As always, we appreciate your feedback – so why don’t you leave some in the comments section below?

become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

John F

12 thoughts on “Site news: Comment on Pocketables articles using Disqus

March 21, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I blame my 150 comments elsewhere for overloading Disqus… too much to handle..

Don’t forget with Disqus you can also post pictures of maps of Opryland circa 1974

March 21, 2014 at 7:43 pm

I love the Pocketables and the Good and EVO. So whatever you need to do to make them better I am ALL in. you guys are great for my HTC EVO 4G LTE. Thanks again!!

March 21, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Have been here since the OG evo. Still on my daily check list even after I jumped ship to a Nexus 5 after the Evo LTE. And all your talk about going off contract helped me along the way.

March 22, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Wow, same! I came to Pocketables after goodandevo was merged into it. I still using check this site. Disappointed that there aren’t that many posts anymore, but it’s still a nice site.

March 23, 2014 at 10:07 am

There’re on average 10 posts a week in the G&E section if I remember correctly, two a weekday. Plus what’s on Pocketables.

As for me, I write about root, and also the EVO. The EVO 4G LTE (the only one not past end of life) just doesn’t have a lot going on with it and part of that is HTC has made developing on the thing a total pain. Kernel source code released months after release putting developers three months behind on a completely custom ROM.

There’re no new EVO products being manufactured, no new EVO will ever be made, and the phone’s only hope for newsworthiness sort of rested in the failed Android 4.3 upgrade that HTC yanked and will probably never talk about again.

There’s also not been a lot going on in root. If it can be done it probably has been. Anything new is just a modification on the old.

I mean, if I’m wrong someone toss me some links to things… I’ve been searching for months and feel like the only somewhat new thing was Xposed, and even that’s starting to feel played out. Xposed and new version numbers for old root apps, and new names for freshly developed copies of other people’s ideas.

The fact that I keep finding things in root world surprises me, the fact that there’s any news left on a two year old phone that HTC basically abandoned 4 months after it was sold still astounds me.

I’ve put out a call for help in the forums for what to write about and nobody responded. I’ve put a call out in the big list of root apps for authors and readers to contact me with anything new and no one responded.

So short of it is there will be more when there’s more to write about, people tell us what they want written about, or developers contact us.

not a rant, just wanted to post what’s going on. I’m also the only author with an EVO any more.

March 22, 2014 at 6:30 am

Never been a fan of Disqus. But if it works for you…

March 22, 2014 at 12:23 pm

It works better than the default system. We can attach screen shots, get notifications on other sites that use Disqus that we’ve got a response elsewhere. (I can’t begin to cover the email frustrations the authors have had).

Of course the fact that it broke almost instantly after Pocketables moved to it and it’s still not fixed does leave a little worry room…

March 22, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Disqus is cool, but I have noticed one small bug with the amount of comments not appearing on the home page or article pages.

March 24, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Yep, we were aware of that (and mentioned it in the post above), but it should be fixed now.