Let me preface this – most people don’t have this update issue. For them, this article does not apply. Here are the symptoms that the people who have the connectivity issue have following the Sprint Note 8 Pie update and some things you can try.
Updates at the end, no Sprint fix yet although you can leave Sprint and be fine, rumors
The same exact issue (from my perspective,) popped up on the Galaxy S10 Sprint update two weeks ago as popped up on my unrooted unmodified Samsung Galaxy Note 8 yesterday after the Android Pie update.
- Very long delay before it finds a signal after boot.
- Unable to establish a wireless data connection message.
- Emergency calls only message
- LTE full bars with no data followed by LTE with 1 bar no data followed by no signal, then either nothing or eventually 3G.
- RilNotifier Unable to establish a wireless data connection LTE: ESM – x EMM – 13 APN – n.ispsn
Fixes to try
- Dial ##update# (updates profile and PRL)
- Reset phone connection state by dialing ##72786#
- Disable bands as outlined in this post ( benjaminxzf
##3282# Edit -> Enter MSL: 000000 -> OK -> LTE -> Band41 Enabled -> Deselect -> Reboot. )
- If you’re connected but have bad data dial *#0011# and note what LTE band you’re on, then perhaps disable as above.
- Factory reset (most likely will not fix it)
- Change out the SIM card (Sprint’s forced to reprovision the account)
- Change data mode from automatic to CDMA / LTE (phone will restart even though it’s on CDMA / LTE)
- Ditch Sprint
- Change radio band priority
- Buy a tunic, live in the woods with the squirrels and the bears
- ##brand# this will remove all branding info and reset the phone. Your data will fail to work. Dial ##72786# to get back your crappy 3G.
I was on with Sprint to the point I got referred to people who weren’t reading a troubleshooting script.
Had LTE no issues before the update. Issue persists at work (North of town,) and home (South of town).
Issue only on my phone, not my wife’s.
While the S10 is a different phone, the problems with the S8 read exactly like it. It’s reasonable to believe, in my opinion, that the Samsung / Sprint radio interface module may have some issues.
I was unable to get the turning off of radio bands to stick on my phone. Not sure if that is ever going to apply to a Note 8 update.
Updates: according to this post, there’s an internal email dated over a week ago about the issue and a fix that needed to happen. As the Pie release was not on the Note 8 a week ago, if it’s about the Note 8 it’s because they knew the Note 10 problems were going to come to the 8.
Still no fix