How to use a different keyboard on your HTC EVO 4G
Don't like the on-screen keyboard on the HTC EVO? Then don't use it!
There are many keyboard alternatives available in Android Market and elsewhere that may suit your thumb-typing style and personal preferences better. Some of the more popular third-party keyboards include Swype, ThickButtons (shown here), Better Keyboard, SlideIT, Smart Keyboard, and SwiftKey.
Unlike with standard apps, you don't look for the newly installed keyboard in your program list and then tap to launch it. Instead, you do this:
- Tap the Menu key on your EVO.
- Go to Settings -> Language & keyboard.
- Find the name of the keyboard you just installed under "Text settings" and tap to select it. If you installed more than one keyboard, you can select all of them here. You can also adjust individual keyboard settings if the option is available.
- A pop-up window notifying you of the possibility of text collection will appear. Tap OK and go back to the home screen by pressing the Home key.
- Launch an app (or press the Search key) and press and hold in a text input box to bring up the "Edit text" pop-up window.
- Tap "Input method" from this window and select your desired keyboard from the list.
- Repeat steps 5 & 6 to switch keyboards whenever you want.