Good and EVOTips & Deals

Warm Z TwoPointTwo ROM brings Sense 2.0 to rooted HTC EVO 4G

Evo-warmz-rom

It was about five months ago that the first wave of tips about Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo custom ROM for the HTC EVO hit my G&E inbox. RLS 1 had only been out for a couple of weeks back then, but it was already gaining a lot of traction. These days, the ROM is not only more popular than ever at RLS 5, but it's part of a Warm family that just got a little bigger as well.

Meet Warm Z TwoPointTwo, a two-week-old ROM based on the HTC Desire Z, one of the first phones to be preloaded with HTC Sense 2.0. Like its namesake, then, Warm Z brings Sense 2.0 (with landscape orientation and flip to silence), htcsense.com support, and full HTC Hub access to the EVO. Other goodies include full sync/restore with Google, updated widgets, Gingerbread icons, WiFi tether, enhanced transitions and animations, faster SD card read speed, custom HTC wallpapers, Hulu (optional install), and more.

You can check out everything that Warm Z has to offer by downloading it from the link below. Just make sure you don't care about having 4G or HDMI on your EVO before flashing, though, as neither is included in this ROM.

[xda-developers] Thanks, Brian!

57 thoughts on “Warm Z TwoPointTwo ROM brings Sense 2.0 to rooted HTC EVO 4G

• Visual voicemail also did not work for me when running this ROM, and when I tried to access my voicemail I was connected to random people’s voicemail and able to listen to their messages, kinda scary, I know. So I am waiting for an updated release before trying this again. Just a word of caution.

• wow.. thanks for the tip. Glad I use Google Voice!

• From the Warm Z TwoPointTwo ROM, under Known Issues: “Voicemail needs to be set to your phone number in settings”.

Did you do that?

• I’ve been running this for a couple of days now and I’m pretty happy with it. Seems much more snappy than Warm RLS4. I was rarely using 4G so I’m not missing it, although it would be nice to have the option. I love the htcsense.com support.

I’m happy with the stock kernel setup so I’m not going to futz with that for a bit.

Overall, I find it to be a well cooked ROM.

• Is there a front cam working on this?

• I flashed this ROM a couple of days ago and I really like it. It runs very smooth and super fast. I love the new sense 2.0 themes. Voicemail is not an issue for me, I just had to set my number manually, but since I had MIUI before, I was already using google voice. We don’t have 4g in phoenix yet, so not an issue for me. Great ROM thoug, got to give it a try.

• stuck in boot loop for me kinda dissapointed not sure what happened

• I’ve been using this as my daily rom for a over a week and it’s been very smooth. I’ve had little issues and everything (other than 4g/hdmi) works great. I did have to flash another file to get the front camera to work. And even with following all the instructions I can’t get a front camera working AND 8mp camera at the same time. So I’m using the front camera and a 5mp rear camera which doesn’t bother me.

I’m using Launcher Pro but I still love the new Sense 2.0 stuff and the rom is quick. It’s nice that native froyo app2sd works great and I get decent battery life without any mods and without running JuiceDefender. I’m currently at 14% after 1d 0h 31m since unplugged… with a few phone calls, texts, some words with friends play, and google maps.

The main bug I’ve found that is annoying is that text doesn’t seem to auto wrap properly for me with Dolphin browser or the stock HTC browser. I think I just need to flash a different font to fix.

• I’d just wipe everything and flash again. I only got a boot loop when I tried to add a power widget tweak that was meant for a different rom.

• Yes it works but you have to flash another file to fix. It’s listed here on XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=982211

it’s in the first post

(I did it and my front cam works but I lost 8mp rear camera, it’s not 5mp. I tried flashing a few times and follow the instructions to erase camera data but I still can only have 5mp with the front cam working. Not a big deal to me.)

• Flashing now. I have been using Kings Unleashed, but this looks great. Will let you all know the findings :)

I love this Rom.. 2.0 is great. Only thing is the voice mail icon is in notification and I can’t get rid of it.. any body else have this problem… any fix?

• where is the market lol finally working forgot to do full wipe

• Update: Since this is based off of the rom for the Desire Z which does not have a front camera, the front camera does not work. You have to flash Calkulin’s front camera fix; http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=8677421&postcount=2

I tried it but it started taking pictures by itself in front camera mode and then started FC’ing so I just restored the nandroid I made before I flashed the fix (that’s why it helps to nandroid before flashing anything!)

I’ll live without the front camera since I rarely video chat these days. If I need it I’ll probably just go back to Warm RLS4 until a full Gingerbread rom comes out.

• That’s a horrible security hole that needs to be fixed. I could possibly just put in a phone number of someone that has an evo and listen to their messages?

• Well, let me tell you what. I just flashed this ROM and 2.2 looks amazing. I had no issues with the VoiceMail as others have stated probably because I added and flashed the Radio/Wimax updates as the instructions said to. Easy install and no boot loops no hicups so far to report.

• Is there apk for the market?

• Anyone live in san antonio tx that can root my evo and do all thiis cool stuff???

• sorry. i didnt make my question clear i flashed the rom but when i was seraching throught the apps there was no market. i just reflashed and everything seems to be okay. ignore my earlier statements

• If Your planing on flashing roms i would recomend you figure out rooting. It is really simple on the evo.

step 1 read this: http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/unrevoked3
    Step 2 reread and make sure u have installed hboot drivers
    step 3 download and run this: http://www.unrevoked.com/recovery/
    step 4 install rom manager from market
    step 5 choose flash alternate recovery
    step 6 make a nandroid and make sure u backup ur Wimax keys
    step 7 wipe everything and install rom of ur choice

• Count me in as another Myn fan; I’ve started with Warm TwoPointTwo as soon as learning about it right here on G&E and have been on Myn’s ROMs ever since. I started Warm Z with the first beta and have been using it every since. There are a few concessions as noted on OP but are well worth if in my opinion.

Warm Z is definitely worth a look. After all what’s the point of rooting if you aren’t going to sample what is available. You have to love nand backukp!

• You should do a video on the ROM

• Twopointtwo is just artful, such a beautiful ROM if ever a ROM could be described as such.

There’s a piece last week on how to do it on this site… read it. As long as you have a computer that can speak to the phone you’re most of the way there

• newly rooted. having an issue when i try to flash the .zip

i followed this:

and im getting the following message when i try to “install zip from sdcard”:

— installing: /sdcard/Warm-Z-TwoPointTwo-02-23-2011-RLS1.zip
    Finding update package…
    Opening update package…
    Installing update…
    Amend scripting (update-script) is no longer supported.
    Amend scripting was deprecated by Google in Android 1.5.
    It was necessary to remove it when upgrading to the ClockworkMod 3.0 Gingerbread based recovery.
    Please switch to Edify scripting (updater-script and update-binary) to create working update zip packages.
    Installation aborted.

If you’re running clockwork mod recovery 3.x downgrade to 2.5.0.7, if you’re running 2.5.0.7 switch to 3x from rom manager. Can’t remember which is which but one is the fix

• yeah. im running 3.x
    is there any easy way to downgrade?

• nvmd. got it worked out w/rom manager.

did anyone else get that sinking feeling while rooting for thr first time? every reboot made me think i bricked my phone lol.

• HAHA yes, I had that feeling, and still sometimes do when I reflash back to a different ROM. I had the Warm twopointtwo but just flashed back to Kings Unleashed and every time you hit reboot the screen goes into a million different colors and kind of sits there before it fully reboots. Don’t worry, I’ve heard the EVO is pretty much unbrickable unless you don’t read the directions on how to root and try it blindfolded.

• i was mostly concerned when i was forced to hard reset with the battery.
    one time while frozen in recovery mode, the phone remained on when i removed the battery. that was probably the scariest thing thats every happened to me.

• absolutely LOVING the freedom of a root though. im not the most tech savvy guy in the world, but its surprisingly easy! i feel like a got a new phone!

• when your flash a new rom your gonna see the boot ani for a good 15 mins!!! that is due to it doing its “stuff” sorry dont know the proper terms to call it…and you may see other roms that will have you on the animation loop for 5 mins lol!

• Yes, Warm Z has the Hot Restart option.

• Thanks for the very nice review and all the great remarks guys :)

Next up will be Warm GingerBread :)

• Just flashed and definitely enjoying this ROM. Best Sense ROM out there for the EVO (4 & 5 were great too). Still finding myself torn between this and Cyanogen7. They scratch different itches and I just can’t decide!

Dan, how did you get it worked out? I have the same issue and was not able to install from ROM Manager.

Thanks!

Need help! Everytime I try to flash this rom it aborts and say edify etc etc

• I loaded this onto my phone, but haven’t flashed any of the additional patches yet. I can’t figure out how to get the landscape home screen though. Is there a guide for Sense 2.0 anywhere?

• Well, I successfully installed and checked out this ROM. Although it looks really good, I couldn’t get Swype to stop force closing, gallery wouldn’t work, couldn’t see themes… I cleared davlik and cache, but not user data.

Reverted to Sprint Lovers w/LauncherPro+

Still, glad I’ve successfully flashed 2 ROMS total now! Fun stuff!

• I ran this and got stuck in a boot loop. I saw someone say that it might do that for 15 mins while it does its thing for the first time. Is that what most people experienced?

• I checked this out last night. It is a real good start, but it just isn’t quite ready for prime time (daily use). It does not have Footprins app or widget. htcsense.com and HTC Hub don’t work atm since HTC has them down for maintenance. The camera issues are a non-starter for me as far as using this as a daily ROM. It also does not appear to work with the new TeamWin HDMI app/kernel.

Hopefully HTC will get us a Gingerbread + Sense 2.0 update for the EVO soon!

It’s does say in the last paragraph that HDMI does not work.

Why does Swype keep force closing? Great Rom but not very useful if I can’t get my usual input method to work.

Followed the posts on the site but when I go into spare parts there is no quick commands.

Nevermind flashed back to SL, couldn’t get swype to work my people contacts kept fc. I really liked a lot of the rom but too many problems to use since I need my phone for work.

• I had the voicemail problem.. back to my old rom I go.

*Update* Flashed again and started fresh and now everything works great. Swype and people contacts stopped fc. Now if they could only get 4g working. Will stick with warm 2.2. Thanks very much.

One problem I forgot to add is I can’t get yahoo mail account to work in default mail app.

• Hello all i have a question is Myn’s Warm TwoPointTwo rls 5 suppose to have Sense 2.0 because when I installed it via Rom manager I stay with the orginal sense… am i doing something wrong here… I even downloaded it from the site and still didnt work… can anyone help me with this?

• Hey Jenn, what kernel did you find works best with this Rom?

Anyone else play around with different kernels with Warm Z?

Joe

• I am happily using the one that comes with it, 2.6.32.17-gee557fd htc-kernel@and18-2 #15.

• Flashed and installed nicely. The light, thin-ish font is not ideal for the 50-ish eyes. Sorry, need something with a bold font I suppose. “)

Why hasn’t rom manager put Warm z up on there yet?? Or why hasn’t Myn’s put up Myn’s Z on rom manager? I have tried several time to get it through xda and each time I try to install on my Evo it doesnt work.
    But all the other roms I have tried works with no problem. Does anyone know if xda has a bad d/l file or has taken it off xda till a new update is up?