Good and EVO

Screenshot-1318260527505 Where's CyanogenMod 7.1? For all you AOSP lovers out there, this question has probably been weighing on your mind for months.

Rooted EVO 3D users are just starting to get their first taste of Cyanogen-y goodness, but those of us with the OG EVO have been left wondering if the CM team would ever release another stable version for us.

Well, wonder no more.

Yesterday, Cyanogen and the whole team started rolling out CM 7.1 for an impressive 68 Android devices! The EVO 4G made the cut this time around, while the EVO 3D is not quite ready to be in CM land just yet. It will be "coming soon," though, so users of the newer phone won't be left out forever.

Officially, CyanogenMod 7.1 brings these new features (compared to 7.0.3):

• Bluetooth mouse support
  • Revoking app permissions
  • Camera touch-to-focus
  • Native screenshots in the power menu
  • Upgraded kernel and Android v2.3.7 (yes, the latest and greatest version of Gingerbread)

I also noticed a new-looking lock screen.

As for the future of CyanogenMod, it seems that CM9 will be based on Ice Cream Sandwich (aka Android 4.0.x) and devs have promised to keep this version more updated. Expect to see this on your rooted EVO in the upcoming month or so.

And if you're wondering where CM8 went, you can thank Google's non-open-source Honeycomb for that. It is highly unlikely that there will ever be a CM8. Oh well, I want my CM9 anyway!

[CyanogenMod]

Sam Sarsten

Sam Sarsten is a former contributing editor at Good and EVO, which was merged with Pocketables in 2012.

42 thoughts on “Stable release of CyanogenMod 7.1 available for rooted HTC EVO 4G, coming soon for rooted EVO 3D

Dumb question probably, but I cannot seem to get into the forums on the main cyanogenmod website.

I’ve read that it disables 4g, and since I am (I guess) one of the lucky people who lives in a 4g area, this troubles me.

Is this true?

• hooooolllllddddd up. Does the device need to be rooted?

I’m running CM Nightlies #219, and 4G is working fine, with the blue tray indicator and all. It’s been up and running since #207 I believe.
    GPS lock is also solid. Achieved a couple of Nightlies ago.
    I’ve been running running Nightlies for so long, I didn’t even know there was a new official release.

4G is solid. The 4G indicator icon bugs were worked out several Nightlies ago. I assume 7.1 has this built in.

• REALLY looking forward to GSM CM7.1, after HTC releases the GSM source code. :)

• just thought i’d share for those not familiar with roms and what not: flashing non oem roms can be a task if you arent familiar with things. sometimes those of us who are in the know take our own knowledge fro granted. there are alot of little things you are going to have to learn and do in the process such as getting visual voicmail to worm on cm7 can be a task

but my bigger point it: it is definitely worth learning how this stuff works and then once you get it perfect you will love it and you can leave it alone and just use and love it.

cm7 is my fav rom!!!

About the nightlies….So, could I think of these as a different beta release coming out every night? Seems like it would be a pain to change everyday?

• Not as hard as you think, you don’t even need to DL the whole ROM every time there’s an update (or even update your device at the same pace)… There’s actually several benefits and little downside imo. Synergy nightlies on EVO 3D for me tho…

• Can anyone confirm if touch to focus(TTF) really works now? I tried installing this a couple of nightlies back when there was first word about TTF in CM, and it wasn’t working for me on the native camera application. In another camera related question, is it true that AOSP ROMs can’t record video in 720p?

• The last question is false, I have CM7.0 on my evo3d and it records 720 no problems

• Yeah, their whole site is in ‘cache’ mode, probably because of all the CM7.1 downloads. But, as Biker stated, 4G works

• Honestly, I wouldn’t bother with nightlies unless you truly are understanding when features of your phone getting broken occasionally. Nightlies are the earliest test stage you can get, which means you’ll be the one discovering if updates have broken features of your phone, and then reporting them.

• I just checked… no ttf

• That is, unless I’m missing a setting somewhere. I just tried ttf on my EVO 4G, and it was not focusing. The settings menu had nothing suggesting TTF either.

• lol, now I feel dumb. I found the setting. Yes, it supports TTF, mine was just set to auto.

i have kind of a unrelated question: in an AOSP ROM, do you know if it’s possible to change the setting of the video camera, so it records NOT in 720p, but at a lower resolution like a 480×800 or something like that?

One last question? Any glaring defects that anyone has noticed? If not, I’m gonna give it a shot this weekend. Thanks Everyone! Last question, promise!

• I don’t know for sure what resolutions you get, but there is a ‘quality’ option, which offers High, Low, MMS and Youtube. So you can opt for a lower quality video, but I don’t know what resolution it is (and if that’s how it lowers the quality).

• The only issue is if you are attached to having a ‘sense’ interface. If you have an EVO, and you like the glossy sense appearance, you’ll lose it. There are apps you can get, that try to emulate the look, but I haven’t found one that looks as polished.

anyone have the link to download evo 4g cm7.1 the website is down and id really love to try this out

• Okay, I have a question. I am running CM 7.0.3.1 on my Evo 4G, but am interested in upgrading to CM 7.1. Is it possible to safely upgrade the rom without losing all of my apps and settings and everything? If so, how do I do this?

downlaod the rom with google apps and do not erase data. use rom manager to install

No glitches.
    I use ADW Launcher Ex for my apps.
    Been running CW7 for awhile now, and I don’t miss Sense at all.
    CM7 frees up a bunch of internal memory also.

As was said, don’t wipe Data.
    Just do a Dalvik Cache wipe, and check the box for Google Apps.
    As a side note, you can download My Rescue to back up your data, contacts, sms, mms, etc. Works really well.
    Also, don’t forget to do a Nandroid backup of your current ROM, if you don’t have one already.

You can download it in ROM Manager.

what or were can i find this My Rescue? Biker1

how is the sd transfer speeds with this version? still faster via recovery?

just ran a test and go write speed of 15 MB/s and read speed of 16 MB/s on my Class 4 card.

correction write is 5 and read is 16

CM used to be more relevant to me before Sense 3.5. I’m running a rooted rom with it on my Evo, and there’s no way I can give up its features now.

Anyone having problems with the wifi tether apps on EVO 4g? I was using the SNSv1.6 and it was great. last night I switched to CM7.1 Nothing but problems with this one. computer doesn’t even recognize the network.

What e-mail application is there with CM? On the wiki it says something about not having apps. Does that mean I’ll lose my e-mail application?

• Hello everyone is this the one I need to download update-cm-7.1.0-Supersonic-signed.zip ? I find the file to be small 88.94.
    Sorry I am comparing to MIKG ROMS that are around 256 megs

The above file is like 88.94 MB 2011-10-10 03:50:55

Thanks
    NRHTX

Sense ROM’s are much larger than CM ROM’s. Both of those are typical sizes for each.

Guys this ROM totally rocks, but I totally miss my HTC Sense like prl updates, ##3282# configuration settings if I want to modify my data/4G settings.

Question does anyone know how to extract or find the Power Widget included in this ROM 7.1? The Power Control widget rocks. Everything works great.

I am about to go back to MIKG256, but I want this power widget.

i’ve never rooted my Evo 4g and would like to install this, where is the link to this?

Wifi was working when I first flashed 7.1 now its not….any suggestions????!!!