Good and EVO

Hands on with Deck’s unofficial CyanogenMod 10 for the HTC EVO 4G LTE

2012 08 22 12.08.25 - for some reason we don't have an alt tag hereCyanogenMod 10 is a custom AOSP ROM based on Android Jelly Bean for a large variety of phones that adds several features, removes bloat, and generally gives developers and users a much richer playing field. The HTC EVO line of phones last saw fully functioning CyanogenMod builds with the 7.2 release for the original HTC EVO 4G. Developer Kushdeck seems intent on remedying the EVO series’s CyanogenMod-less streak with his unofficial CMX for the HTC EVO 4G LTE.

It should be pointed out that this is a work in progress, and as such there are some minor bugs, but for the most part the ROM is working and a beautiful thing. So while I’ll be pointing out some issues, the ROM is a daily driver candidate already.

I’m working off of the August 20, 2012 release so any newer versions will probably have many of the bugs squashed.

The working: front-facing and rear-facing camera work for both photo and video capture. Barcode scanners appear to work for both barcodes and QR codes. WiFi works on 2.4GHz Wireless-N, Google Now! is integrated and working. NFC and Google Wallet are reported to be working along with MMS,  Bluetooth, and most impressively 4G LTE in areas that support it. In other words all hardware appears to work.

Problems I ran into include that Mount Storage only works for internal storage, the phone process crashes on boot at least once and then is fine, Exchange email in the mail client refuses to connect to my server although works fine with IMAP, touching the screen while recording video is supposed to take a picture but it causes weirdness, sdcard2/external SD card is not mounted or visible by default, Netflix doesn’t work, and WiFi doesn’t work at 5GHz.

2012 08 22 12.24.05 - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here
Taken with the stock settings on the camera

Deck’s CMX is fast, has the fastest face-unlock I’ve ever run across. So fast that I started thinking it wasn’t working and just unlocking on any face, but it seemed to be working properly. Titanium Backup seemed to have some issues restoring things, not entirely sure what was going on with that but a few things just would never restore or applications that were three to five megabytes would take minutes to restore.

Google Now - for some reason we don't have an alt tag hereCMX/Jelly Bean seems to be running slightly faster than ICS although is missing some of the tuning. It reminds me of a slightly overclocked EVO 4G LTE stock-based ROM. I’m assuming as things get nailed down it will probably become a lot faster.

The Google Now! application is sweeter than the one I have on my ICS-based ROM, and may be worth a switch just for that if you’re finding it more and more ruling your day.

I’m impressed where this thing is at the moment. After spending a long time in HTC CyanogenMod limbo it’s nice to see that there’s a working CM coming to my current phone, and both of my older EVOs at different times.

The one thing I hope someone works on is porting the Sense camera application over to CyanogenMod. That is one thing that HTC really seems to have gotten right in HTC Sense 4.

If you’re interested in trying some work-in-progress CM10, getting Deck’s is a bit different than the usual method. If you want it go to the HTC EVO 4G LTE channel on Freenode IRC. After you’ve logged in, links are at the top of the page for CM10 and JB GApps. Although the direct download links are short and available there, please do not post them here.

Paul E King

46 thoughts on “Hands on with Deck’s unofficial CyanogenMod 10 for the HTC EVO 4G LTE

Sweet…that was fast :)

And so it begins.
    Thanks Paul, looking forward to this ROM development. Could the new kernal release you posted about help this ROM out?

maybe. It currently is working fine with all the radios, so unless something is showing up it’s probably not going to help too much.

Maybe the 5G WiFi issue and reported problems with the proximity sensor would be helped, but I think he’s chugging along fine kernel-wise at the moment.

Thanks for posting, Paul.

It’s also worth mentioning that it may not be unofficial much longer, as both Deck and Toast are working on this ROM, and have stated that official support will start when all hardware bugs are squashed and they deem the ROM stable enough.

As it stands, I use it as a daily driver, and besides the Phone process force closing on boot, everything works fine for me.

I have been running this for a while and love it! My battery life has doubled and Google now is so awesome. I agree about the camera app though. Do miss the sense version

So, stock camera. As in…?

I do really like the sense 4 camera. Does this not have burst mode? Anything else that is not as good camera wise? Panorama, filters, tweaks , settings?

Also since this is JB does that mean it has the “butter” thingy for incredible slick UI that we’ve read so much about?

Thanks for any additional information

Nope, no burst mode, no effects other than panorama that I saw. Just point and click.

Butter thing I’m going to need to know which one you’re talking about… everyone claims their tweaks are butter ;)

Sorry. It’s called “project butter”. Was all the buzz when Google was showcasing JB.
        I still don’t really understand what it does. And if it’s integrated into all JB roms stock or not?

Project Butter is basically triple buffering and v-sync for Android UI rendering. It does literally make the interface feel like butter.

I tried it on a Nexus 7 at a store nearby. It’s awesome.

Hey Paul, rom is sweet and yes titanium back up was a little finicky but all is well and Fyi.. The camera does have actually quite a few options, effects and filters. Really the only thing I see missing is the burst mode. There may actually be a few more options than we had b4.
        JB is fast I’ll say that! Very fast.

Well done, Deck and Toast. I don’t have an EVO 4G LTE, but it’s nice to see your name’s on another ROM.

Good work. Keep it up.

I think everyone can agree with that. HTC did it better and did it right. Question is will it ever work out side of sence???

I’m running cm10 now and it work great.

Yes HTC did indeed get the camera correct on this device.

I’d like to state I was talking about HTCs camera function

Yea I realized that right after I posted that but I couldn’t delete my post lol

Great news, as a dad with two kids the camera with burst mode is a deal breaker. Currently on original HTC Rom with soft root. I’m not changing until I find a more compelling ROM, though this gets close!

Interesting i might have to try this out.

Been using this for a few days now, there does seem to be a few more bugs. I noticed when unlocking the phone it sometime switches into different apps, mainly camera. Things in the notification bar doesnt work like shortcuts such as call. I think restoring doesnt work if you previous backed up on titanum on ICS and then restored on JB. google wallet does work (i used it today) Until we get an official JB release, I think this is a good substitute.

• I have always loved Deck’s work.. but I will be waiting for a more stable build before assigning it as my daily driver.

@Paul, you should start a Poll asking people which custom ROM are they using as their daily driver?

Sense’s camera is amazing and I really hope someone can port it over. Burst mode is fantastic.

• The exchange issue is likely a configuration one, or a problem from the server’s side. My company needed a group of android and iOS phones to test out an exchange feature for a client and it wouldn’t connect properly until “use SSL” was selected, even though we weren’t using SSL. Other than that it functioned without a hitch.

Can’t wait to give this a try. Work has the freenode blocked though so will have to wait till tonight. From what I’ve read, not having the sense camera worries me a little so hope someone can port that in soon.

Damn…this is killing me. My 4G LTE is rooted. But it’s s-on. I have been flashing other Roms for the last two months with little or no trouble. I am currently running the Bad Seed/ ICS Blue Tranquility Rom along with the flashable version of google now. This is my current predicament…..I have run into trouble with this Rom and all previous versions which have been floating around for the past 30 days. That is correct…ive tried all CM10 Roms for the 4G LTE and got the same result. Okay so i wiped everything before flashing. The cache…the dalvik cache and the entire system. I flash the CM10 ROM and then flash the Gapps….All seemed well. until booting. When i boot this up it runs the Beautiful Splash screen…then it updates all 147 files…Onc it comes on it AUTOMATICALLY has a PHONE NOT WORKING ERROR and asks to Force Close….I must hit OK and then it happens again. So i really never get off of the Pretty ass lockscreen. Can anyone offer any advice or help to get this running. Does anyone know what may be causing this Force Close issue. I see the people mentioned it on IRC but really offered little or no solutions. What can i do? Oh….and also, i did fix the permissions in TWRP Recovery. Then i ran it again…Still….No change. Thanks for any help….HELP!!

• I was having a similar problem. I just did all my backups. Then I flashed. I rebooted, then went back into recovery and flashed again. Also I am about to flash the 8/26 build and see what happens. Then I am going to try to flash the 4.5 sense camera app and see if I can have the best of both worlds. I will update if nothing gets borked.

Since it has a custom kernel I would assume you’re going to need either Dumlock or Flash Image GUI in order to get the kernel to install.

Unfortunately, 1:30am, just got to this, will look tomorrow

Insomnia and Deck’s CM becoming semi-official got me looking into this…

You have to flash the kernel by itself, go ahead and flash it using Flash Image GUI before you flash the ROM and you should be fine.

Or flash the boot.img they have via fastboot…

There will be s-on flashable kernels soon (big news from Thursday), but I think deck’s been working on too much stuff to bother with it at the moment.

• Yeah I found that out. Unfortunately at the moment I am S-on. I really don’t see the point in being S-off at the moment. Pretty much everything is flashable. I hope they can get the Sense camera working on it though. That’s the biggest problem I have. The 8/26 build so far is pretty much flawless. Netflix and video cam work now. I also miss the HTC trace keyboard. I am using Slide it at the moment.

Thanks soo much guys. Yeah Paul, i figured that was the problem but because i didn’t find others talking about flashing the Kernel on it’s own I was waiting till i saw it kinda spelled out for me before i tried it. also i didn’t know what Kernel to use or where to find it. Im fairly new to messin with the ANDROID OS I wish there was a guide i could buy somewhere that really breaks down the specific nuances of hacking. Know of any other resources for learning android other than forums? Can you point me in the right direction Paul, or anyone? I wanna enjoy some Jellybean goodness!!! lol Thanks for all the help. The Android community Rocks!!

The kernel for CM10 is in the ROM itself, the issue you’re having is that being S-ON you have to flash things containing a kernel in a different way.

Download flash image gui, choose to flash that ROM package, that will isntall the kernel.

Actually, hold up a bit, it occurs to me if something goes wrong you’ll have to jump through some hoops to get back to a sense-based kernel, I’ll find out about how to activate dumlock on TWRP a bit later, that’ll do it too.

• Actually according to everyone on IRC you only have to flash the file through TWRP. That’s all I did. I did end up going back to MeanRom for the time being. I will be back once they get the Sense Camera flashable. The biggest issue I had the first time is I didn’t do a Reset. Once I went back, reset, and reflashed everything was perfect.

Hey , does anyone know if that Lazy Panda S-off exploit still works for the 4G LTE? Also……..

Paul…Ive been doing a lot of reading (XDA Threads for the most part) I found out what you were telling me about flashing the Kernel ( im s on 1.15 h boot so ill pull the kernel from the zip file and flash it through fastboot adb then boot into recovery and flash the zip file. sound correct?). This is what you meant right? This is on the thread for Paranoid Android Jellybean which im assuming is basically the same regarding the Instructions for Flashing. Am i on the right track here?

It works for the first version of the radios/hboot, but not the others.

What you wrote sounds ok. Other things you can do is enable Dumlock in TWRP (advanced, enable dumlock (bottom right))- that should flash the kernel correctly if you’re S-ON. You can also use Flash Image GUI to flash the kernel first and then flash via recovery.

Alright….i see what my options are now. Im just nervous now because if something goes wrong what can i do to a possible brick? I mean is there anyway to back up my radio softwar i just checked and im hboot 1.2. Is there anyway to back something up? Is there a need? Also in your opinion which of these methods are the safest?

@dante69, if your hboot is 1.12, then you don’t have to worry about flashing the boot.img/kernel separately . That is only necessary on hboot 1.15 and forward. Not sure how you would ever backup a radio, but keep radios on your SD, ready to flash if you’re worried about radio issues.

Scott. Yeah i just checked again. you are correct it is Hboot 1.12 . However as previously stated above i flashed Decks CM10 Rom several times. Completely Wiped everything before i flashed. When i booted the Rom it Went through the Splash screen…then the updating of files…It then started and i did get a glimpse of the Lockscreen but there was a Error Message saying that the Phone was not working or some such error which wouldn’t let me press ok because when i did the error then repeated and repeated. I figured something was wrong with the Radio because the icons on the top of the screen showed wifi connected but no phone service. Are you certain about that version?? I will take your advice and try to install the nightly CM !0 tonight from recovery without using Flash Image Gui. Thanks

This is crazy. Ive tried all the new CM 10 ROMs and all of them result in the same thing. Unfortunately phone does not work messege and i cant make the error message close so i can venture past the lockscreen. I followed exact instructions for using Flash image GUI to extract the Kernel and flash it seperately… Then i wiped everything and Flashed same ROM from recovery. It didnt work. I even checked and it still says hboot 1.12 . Same radio version. No change? How is this possible.? Im losing my mind.

Decks does not contain an HBoot or radio – you’ll have the same version of those with any ROM.

I’d advise asking in deck’s developer thread, probably get more people who’ve run into that issue or get Deck himself looking at it.

Oh crapola! Well well there you go then. I feel like a real meatball. So i should retry with the Unofficial Nightly version? Perhaps i missed that. I may give it another try tonight. How can i make a backup of my radio software…is there a way? Or neednt i have to worry because i can download a stock Radio kernel online somewhere and use my computer through fastboot i can restore if i brick my phone?? Is this true

If not for my passion for all things android i wouldve given up long ago.

you cannot back up your radio software. If you’re S-OFF you can flash radio software though… that can be found in my state of root guide or look up 4g lte radios.

As for what you’re saying, you’re not going to touch the radios with this or most other ROMs. You will touch the kernel, and the system partition. For the kernel partition if you’re s-on you may need to use HTC Dumlock or Flash Image GUI. If you’re s-off you’re fine.

Before you flash this ROM, make a nandroid backup (twrp backup) – if you have issues with the ROM you can revert back. If you’re S-ON, reverting back from a malfunctioning kernel might require you to use fastboot and push a kernel.

There’s very little way to brick via flashing a ROM… always seems to be some trick to get you out of it.

Paul.

My mind is almost gone now.

help….me.

Since im S-On hboot 1.12 unlocked , I flashed the Kernel first as instructed to the tee. Used Flash Image GUI. Followed the steps and it said it extracted the Kernel everything seemed to go fine (once again) Immediatley after flashing the Kernel, i wiped the cache/ delvik/ system/ then i rebooted into recovery and flashed the same exact zip file..the nightly cm10. Rebooted the system and it booted up ..splash and then lockscreen…saw all the icons on the notification up top. then the sam exact error message that has been plaguing me from start: UNFORTUNATELY PHONE HAS STOPPED..thats what it says. Wow…..Im…..just about….
    …………………………………………………..finished.

Something is wrong, obviously the developer hasn’t fixed it. Give up on CMX until there’s a stable version out and they’ve figured out what is wrong with yours.

Not trying to be mean, but CMX is a work in progress provided to you by a developer who goes by Kushdeck at no cost to you and relies on your feedback and input to fix problems.

It’s cutting edge, some people are going to get cut, in this case it’s you. Tell the developer.

All CMX builds, Deck’s and the AOKP ones not based on Deck’s crash 2-3 times with the phone process when they boot up. If it keeps on doing it, send him the logs. It’s a development build and works fine on most people’s phones.

Flash back to something that works. I’ve had tons of ROMs not work for me in the past 2 years… I send logcats to the developers. They fix and I have a ROM that works sometime afterward.

There’s no reason for your mind to be almost gone… flash back to something that works, tell the person who’s creating this and help figure out what’s wrong.

Paul, my mind is an empty cave filled with crack addicted bats now!II AAARRGH

Lol…Just making light of a frustrating situation. My livelihood is writing and i can often be strangely descriptive in a…. strange humor kind of way. Please excuse me.

Thanks man. I will indeed take your advice. I am mainly toying around with android stuff because my love for gadgets and computers has sparked an interest to learn as much as i can. I am currently looking into going to school for application development.

Im gonna stick with My Blue Tranquility ICS Rom along with flashed Google Now…..Illl be good for awhile….Till they work it out and i get jellybean some other way. Thanks again for all your assistance i will forward my difficulties to the proper channels.

Greetings…To anyone who thinks they can help me-

I unlocked my EVO 4GLTE… Using HTC method. My specs are currently- Tampered, Unlocked, Rooted, S-On , Hboot 1.12. 0000 Radio 1.02.12. 0427 Recovery-.twrp
    Daily Driver is- Blue Tranquility ROM badseed devs

I Flash the CMX and/or all CM10 Unofficial or Nightlies. Wipe cache, dalvik cache and system then reboot system. This is the only result I keep getting-

System boots properly Splash screen then , files update ..then the Lockscreen appears with notification bar above which shows working WiFi and current time. However..I cannot venture past this point because of a big grey box with Error Message that says- UNFORTUNATELY, PHONE HAS STOPPED.

I figured it might be the Kernel that needs to be separately flashed to a kernel that is not a Sense Kernel since these CM 10 ROMS aren’t sense compatable since its not a stock ROM (or so I’ve been taught) …so I used Flash Image GUI when I found a new Kernel that was recently put out for what seems to be this exact purpose…for Jellybean ROMs…Anyway this did not work either. As a matter of fact..when I did this it didn’t boot ay all. It just got stuck on the white HTC screen.

Does anyone know why I keep getting that ERROR?? And also is this true about flashing the Kernel separately with Dumlock or Flash Image?? Do I have to do it this way since I’m S-On? I’ve been told by some people that I don’t because my Hboot is 1.12..they say that anything after 1.15 is a must use for FlashImage or Dumlock??

Anyone that has had a similar problem …or has any advice for me on how to flash jellybean ROM I would appreciate a helpful email@ [email protected]

Thanks Android Community!!