AndroidAppsGood and EVO

YoutubeDownloader Beta 4 allows for saving/offline viewing of videos

2012 10 16 22.50.04 - for some reason we don't have an alt tag hereIf you’re going on a trip anywhere, packing media is one of the last things people usually think about with a smart phone. Unfortunately, this can lead to realizing when you sit down on a plane or arrive at your camping destination that you’re no longer going to have anything to watch due to cell signal. YoutubeDownloader, however, can allow you to pack away some YouTube videos to watch later.

The installation is straight forward and simple: download and install the APK. Find videos on YouTube you want to save for later, click Share, and share via YoutubeDownloader. Your downloaded videos will be waiting for you in the Download folder.

There are three options for how you want to save the downloaded video – low, medium, or high quality, but beyond that it’s about as simple as can be. You’ll need to use the stock video player or a file management tool to locate the videos, but they look quite good and are far better than not having anything to watch while you’re stuck without signal.

YoutubeDownloader is free, although if it works for you, consider tossing the developer some coin to keep his car running.

If you give it a try, let us know how it works for you. Alternately, if you’ve got an application that works better for you, let us know, too!

[xda-developers]

Paul E King

23 thoughts on “YoutubeDownloader Beta 4 allows for saving/offline viewing of videos

Thanks, very useful app! Love this kind of article!!

Tried it out. Worked perfect. Very cool. Glad I got that extra storage card in there. Will start filling it up lol. Thanks alot for the article.

• I’ve been using TubeMate for years! It does the same thing and has lots of output formats. I used it all the time… I’m a Youtube junky. It’s updated frequently and you can get it for free from the Amazon App Store.

Wish someone would would highlight that guys/girls application. It’s really great and has lots of tweaks (fast download, mp3 download, etc).

I’ll check that out when I get home

I’ve been using TubeMate as well, I agree it is a great app but I will give this one a shot. Variety is the spice of life after all

How is this different from putting a video under watch later on the youtube application, which has an option to cache videos in the watch later section?

option for video quality, ability to use a different media player than youtube, ability to share the media to someone else via WiFi if it comes down to it, ability to retain yanked videos.

For most people the Watch it Later probably will work fine.

It’s surprising how often videos are yanked for a variety of reasons, so it’s always good to download the good stuff to keep no matter what.

Another vote for TubeMate! I’ve been using it for years as well. It use to be in the Market but Google pulled it a long time ago. It is the bomb!

Nice thing about TubeMate is you can browse youtube from within the app. I haven’t tried app from XDA. Might just give it a whirl though.

I ran it on an EVO 4G LTE – what are you seeing?

This is definitely one of the most useful programs most people don’t realize to look for and use. Thanks for the heads up.

• Awesome gonna check this out

tubemate for me as well..works fine and can also save as mp3

• Wow, how have I not heard of this before. Very useful.

Great app to know about – thanks!

Another for Tubemate, but I’m willing to try out this one to see how it compares.

In here, I use a data plan which when activated can be used unlimited for 30min. I was so looking for such App. Thanks.

This is really useful. Though what does youtube have to say about this. Does it not violate copyright or anything?

What’s the RC car chase video? I used to race for Associated/Reedy/Proline, etc.

All I want for Christmas is for Youtube to continue playing audio when the screen is turned off. It used to, and I have no clue why they completely got rid of it. They should have made it an option in the menu at least.

• Thanks Paul.. but more thanks to all the commentators; found n love the Tubemate even more.

Thanks for the info. I will now need to check this out and tubemate. Sounds like a great idea for a future update. Tubemate vs. YoutubeDownloader Showdown! :) Do they both get the same download speed, is one more efficient than the other, how do their interfaces compare, etc?