Archos 7 Android internet tablet leaked by UK retailer

Archos_7_android_1

Although I'm sure most people are looking forward to Apple's "latest creation" set to be revealed later today, an interesting development from a manufacturer of an existing tablet has come to our attention.

The Archos 5 Android may be set to get a new big brother with images and specifications of the Archos 7 Android being leaked by DataMind, a retailer in the UK. Apart from a larger 7-inch WVGA touch screen, the new model also features a front-facing webcam, a sliding and locking on/off switch, a DC charger, and what appears to be either dual speakers or a microphone located on the opposite side to the speaker. Although there is no mention of what version of Android the device will be running, new software upgrades include changes to the Archos Media Center app, support for song lyrics, and the addition of the lossless APE audio codec.

Archos_7_android_2

There is also no further news regarding the official introduction of Google Experience apps such as Android Market, Maps, Gmail, etc. The original reason for its exclusion from the Archos 5 Android was that it failed to comply with Google's current Android hardware guidelines for support. With the design of the Archos 7 remaining very similar to the 5 with no hardware buttons, this is unlikely to change; however, there are rumors that Google will relax the hardware standards in the near future allowing the tablets to deliver the full Android experience.

Availability is currently stated to be March 2010, with the only known capacity being the 8GB model priced at £149.99 (including 17.5% UK VAT), which works out to US$243 or around $200.50 excluding tax.

I guess the Archos 7 Android is an expected development with the company already selling the Archos 7 IMT, but it looks like a decent progression from the original 5-inch model that will build on its strengths with new features. Does the new size and improvements appeal to you?

[ArchosFans]
become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

Jeremy To

Jeremy is a former editor at Pocketables.

15 thoughts on “Archos 7 Android internet tablet leaked by UK retailer

January 27, 2010 at 6:39 am

WOw nice. The price point mainly will be the deciding factor between Archos 7, Apple tablet and any other MID tablet that is out there. $250 bucks for a 7 incher is not bad at all. I can see some Archos 5 owners will be pissed coz they don’t have a 7 incher option when they bought the Archos 5.

January 27, 2010 at 10:43 am

That price is just…wow.

But will it have bluetooth for tethering with a phone or something? Or is it purely an offline entertainment device? And with 8gb of memory, I sure hope it takes memory cards :)

January 27, 2010 at 11:03 am

Sarig the photo shows an sd slot. That price is fantastic. I recenlty bought the 160gb archos android but if this comes in at that price I will buy one too. Nicely timed “leak” of this by the way, right on time with ipad announcement.

January 27, 2010 at 11:09 am

Yeah, at least there was one decent device revealed today then :)

I wonder what kind of battery performance this will be able to give. I’m thinking bus entertainment center or something, I’m commuting 45 minutes each way to work this spring, and 2 hours each way if I need to go to the city.

I love it when there’s a gadget that gives me that “omg this looks nice, I want one!” feeling :)

January 27, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Archos 5 used to have news being released at $199 for the lowest capacity too, but so far I haven’t seen one.

I wish it’s real this time.

January 27, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Nice 7 inch screen, if it’s stable it’ll be a nice buy for slate/mid.

May 27, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Good day! This is kind of off topic but I need some help from an established blog.
      Is it very hard to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I’m thinking
      about making my own but I’m not sure where to begin. Do you have any tips or suggestions? Appreciate it

July 13, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Greate pieces. Keep posting such kind of information on your blog.
      Im really impressed by it.
      Hello there, You’ve done an excellent job. I will certainly digg it and in my view recommend to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this website.

July 14, 2013 at 12:14 am

Very soon this web site will be famous amid all blogging and site-building viewers, due to it’s nice articles or reviews

July 23, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Hello there! Quick question that’s entirely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My website looks weird when viewing from my iphone4. I’m trying to
      find a theme or plugin that might be able to resolve this problem.

If you have any recommendations, please
      share. With thanks!

January 27, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Since it’s Archos, it won’t be stable and you still have to buy the “extras” to make it actually do anything when it’s not crashing.

January 29, 2010 at 11:09 am

Archos delivers the latest 5’s with the web browser enabled, and the H264 plug-in is activated for free when you register the device. Unlike the 605, the most popular plug-ins are free.

As far as stability goes, I totally disagree with your opinion. My 605, Archos 5/7, and Archos 5 IMT’s have been extremely stable, and reliable. Like all new devices, there were initial issues, but they were solved with quick firmware updates. Usually by the time the device arrived in the mail, a firmware update had been issued that solved many of the initial problems. Unfortunately for Archos, many tech sites reviewed devices with the original firmware versions with normal intro problems.

I like the Archos 7 because it is the smallest screen that I enjoy surfing the web with. Assuming the price is not ridiculous, I plan on adding the Android Archos 7 to my gadget collection.

I also have the Archos 9. At first I was disappointed, but have changed my mind after using it. First thing I do with any tablet is change the size of the scroll bars, close box, menu items etc. to a size comfortable for my finger size using the built-in WYSIWYG Windows screen settings adjustments. The 9 does not support the various Win 7 native multi-touch gestures since it is Windows Starter, but I am not a fan of multi-touch on anything smaller than a Microsoft Surface. If you love multi-touch, I respect that, just not for me.

I caught up on all the iPad hype using the Archos 9. I went to the NYTimes home page, and it looked as good as it did on the iPad. Wait a minute, there was a difference, the flash video about the iPad introduction was playing on the home page. While reading the iPad coverage on the NYTimes, my email was downloading. I wish the 9 had expandable memory to 2GB+, but as long as you realize you are using an Atom powered device with 1GB, it does a nice job, and is a great couch surfing device.

February 6, 2010 at 1:46 am

Hey Jim boy, your a wanker

February 9, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Care to elaborate which item(s) covered in my comment resulted in your using such an insulting reply. I like Archos devices, and probably will purchase an Android 7 if it is actually released. If you don’t like Archos devices fine, but please keep your comments to the things you do not like about Archos, or its rumored products rather than a personal, insulting reply with no reasons why you disagree with the post.

July 13, 2013 at 4:42 am

Hello, this weekend is pleasant in favor of me, because this time i am reading this wonderful educational piece of writing here at my home.