FeaturesStreakSmart

Dell Streak vs Motorola Droid X

Streak-droidx (1)

Over the last month or so, you've seen the Dell Streak hamming it up with the HTC EVO 4G, iPhone 4, and most recently the Samsung Captivate. Now see how it compares in size and specs to Verizon's top Android phone, the Motorola Droid X.

Streak-droidx-specs

Streak-droidx (5)

Streak-droidx (4)

Streak-droidx (6)

Streak-droidx (7)

Streak-droidx (10)

Streak-droidx (2)

Streak-droidx (3)

Streak-droidx (9)

Streak-droidx (8)

39 thoughts on “Dell Streak vs Motorola Droid X

• Nice write up, the only reason, I would get another 4.3″ screen device would be for the OS. Unfortunately, like most men, we want bigger. I need the 5″ or 7″ to see the screen without glasses.

What a difference 1″ makes,….

Dell was totally quiet over the week-end, no peeps, and no real answers on what cost, and networks will be supported. I almost got dis-interested this week-end.

• I wish Dell would hurry up and release the Streak, I am tired of getting mauled by people when I pull my beta Streak out in public. The general public has never heard of the Streak and when they see it they all want to play with it. I was at a resturant the other day and several people came over to my table asking about the device I was using to view the internet on. It is hard to finish a meal nowdays with the Streak on the table.

• Rules of Dell Streak Club:
    1) You don’t talk about the Dell Streak.
    2) see Rule #1
    3) If this is your first time at Streak Club you must Twitter LionelatDell. Although he seems more out of the loop as us.
    4) Dell recommends Microsoft Windows.

Seriously, Are the fonts bigger on the Droid X or is it just me?

Jenn,

Could you please comment on the Phone ‘Call’ qualities? (Mic, Rear Speaker, Ear Speaker, Reception, etc)

Many U.S. reviews are saying call quality is the Streak’s weakest link … and comparing to the Droid X, with its three Mics and two Antennas, its greatest strength.

• Great, you have almost sold me on the Droid X. The only thing the Streak has on it is display size and a front camera.

• If the Droid X’s encrypted bootloader were hacked already and if I could walk in to a Verizon store today and get one I would be thinking long and hard about why I’m waiting around for the Streak with the way Dell has handled things so far.
    Once Dell finally decides to disclose everything we don’t know, I’ll still have to decide if I want the Droid X instead.

• Interesting photos, have been using the droid x for2 weeks now and the steak doesn’t look that much bigger…will probably return the droid once the streak arrives…

• The Droid X is indeed a superior phone hardware wise. But the Streak still wins with screen size which is my primary concern right now.

• I’m with you. If I don’t hear any updated today then I call utter BS and expect another delay by Dell. I will just get the iPhone 4 since I have to make up my mind by tomorrow. I’m really irritated that they can’t even give the price or the network…a email stating that the Streak will be released on such and such date….is it really that hard?

• I am a bit confused by the screen resolution maybe someone here can shed some light on this.
    The Droid X and Streak have virtually the same resolution, how come web pages and other apps show more contenton the Streak vs Droid vs EVO? –

I can see that the fonts and app headers are smaller on the Streak but does it affect legibility since the screen rez is almost identical on these devices. Thanks in advance.

• I believe that no front facing camera is a deal breaker for the Droid X. I don’t want the blind (Apple fanboys) to think that they invented front facing cameras.

• Also, as you put Jenn the Streak does display a lot more items on screen. Fards over at XDA suspects that the Streak may be running a higher resolution that is re-sized. After some digging he found the yres_virtual = 1600 px.

• Well here we are the last week of July and not one shed of news about pricing or availability of the streak. I’ve had the last 2 generations of iPhone but very disappointed with the 4. It’s time to move onto bigger and better. Android 2.2 is right around the corner which will make the streak a whole lot better device. Come on Dell/AT&T release the info already it’s not that hard??? $249-$299 on contract would be perfect….

ive been practicing typing on the dell streak by holding a dvd case, and being an actual man, i can NOT wait for this device. I even imagined the purported annyoing number pad. No dis against girls or un-opposable thumbs, but i don’t understand the hate. How is that more annoying than on most devices having to hit a number display key or long press etc. I’m gonna call “brilliance”/”genius” on the number pad without even using it.

PS. I also type in foreign languages using english letters and numbers and this number pad is going to be baller i tell ya.

• I’m in the same boat too. Very disappointed that nothing was announced over the weekend and no additional information.

I bought a Prius over 5 years ago because I wanted to support the nascent Hybrid technology, but I’m losing my enthusiasm in supporting this new MID paradigm that Dell is trying to establish. I hate to say it, but I might be one of those espousing the idea of just waiting for version 2.

lol I wish I had this problem.

I think it has to do with the fact that the keyboard isn’t centered because of the numpad.

• That brings back memories. I went through the same thing when I bought my Prius over 5 years ago. I would constantly get asked questions about it when I’d pull into a gas station. A few times people would wave to me to roll down my window to ask questions when stopped at a light.

But I was more than happy to talk about the Prius because I believed in the technology and continue to believe in it. It’s the best car I have every had. I hope I feel the same way about the Streak when I buy it. And that the Streak has the same success as the Prius even though many people thought the Hybrid paradigm wasn’t a winning one back then. That’s been proven wrong and I hope the Streak will prove Apple/Jobs wrong too.

• But those are, arguably, two of the most important things in wanting to buy the Streak. The big screen increases the enjoyment factor substantially. How to you put a price on that? And because of the big screen, future video chatting can make great use of that real estate.

I believe as everyone else does that the Streak won’t “sing” until it’s updated to Froyo.

• The Droid X is very tempting not only because of it’s specs, but because it has an X in the name. X-man and is Droid X. How sweet is that? ;)

But not having a forward facing camera kills it for me. The forward facing camera will help to future proof it in terms of not going obsolete to quickly. I see video chatting as next year’s killer app/service, and the Streak will be right there to take advantage of it.

• Agreed. Especially since the HTC EVO 4G also have a forward facing camera and similar specs. I still prefer the Streak because of the screen size too.

• I basically agree with you in terms of liking the separate number pad because it’s easier to type in secured passwords with numbers. They could have put the number on top the way it appears in portrait mode but then you lose valuable screen real estate. Then again you can always download the Better Keyboard app from the Marketplace. I love the possibilities with customization.

Does anyone know if you can change the keyboard or home layouts on the iPhone 4 the way you can with the Streak with ADW Launcher and Better Keyboard?

The Streak is VGA, and the Evo is 1.3Meg

fyi … I can not find one post where someone has been able to make a Video Call with the Streak.

Video Calling is a novelty (e.g. Apple to Apple or WiFi) until 4G … and the Streak is not 4G Capable or WiFi ‘n’

Correction … just found one:

“Streak has a 5-megapixel camera on the rear that took OK pictures and videos, plus a lower-quality VGA front-facing camera you can use for video chats, as on the iPhone 4. Using Wi-Fi, I tested video chat on the Streak using the free Fring app I downloaded from Android Market. Both the audio and video quality on test calls with Fring were poor. And a separate call to a person who was using a 3G network (while I was on Wi-Fi) was unwatchable, with lousy sound to match.”

• search engadget, they have a fring call from streak to evo, looks pretty nice

• I love the stock keyboard and have become quite efficient with it. I love the fact that you are practicing on a DVD case, hilarious. Plus when you miss-spell words, it is normally in the keyboards dictionary and you can just tap the proper word.

You will be extremely satisfied!

• HI.does anyone know if the Streak has voice-to-test? I read that the X does. If the Streak doesn’t have it, is that a function of the 1.6 OS vs something newer?
    Thx

• I have been using my HTC x7500 Advantage for over 2 years. It has a 5 inch screen, email, video, messaging, web, all that stuff, for the last 2 years!

I’m leaning Streak-way because I can never go back to smaller screens, except maybe to do a different tablet setup. I do 90% of my out-of-office stuff on the Advantage, along with some Kindle reading.

My one big question: Can I use a small ‘tablet’ like Streak, ditch my Kindle, with my Dell Vostro 13 slender laptop.

Or is it time to go with a smaller ‘phone’ along with a real 10″ tablet?

Which are you going to do?

• Kevin Andrew just posted a video on Youtube and confirmed that the Dell Streak will be Released with Froyo 2.2 in the US and Dell Streak will not be compatible with T-Mobile 3G, that means, “Say Hello to AT&T Again” the network that sucks blood by over charging for its services.

• yea, im sure if someone saw me they’d think i had lost it busting out sms’s at speed. I actually started measuring all kinds of things around the house and found out that my checkbook is almost identical in size to a streak. So i typed on that a bit too.

• i don’t think that’s right. He said they were working on 2.2 and had a developer model streak showing off 2.1 (it looked sweet). @lionelatdell also said that 2.2 would be out a little later.

• I was sold on the streak but I ended up getting the captivate after using it a bit and I absolutely love it. I honestly think the streak will be a disappointment.

• You should go buy an ipad ,you’ll going to paying way to much with suck service at at&t…then you’ll unhappy…seem like the x has better specs or the iphone 4..

hey guys im really confused as to which cell i shud go for motorola droid x or dell streak 2.2…plz help me out guys…