AppsGood and EVOTips & Deals

Which apps behave badly on your HTC EVO 4G?

Devil

Several G&E readers have asked me to put together a list of Android apps that drain the HTC EVO battery even when you don't think they're being used.

Since there's no way I could ever come up with a comprehensive list all by myself, I'd like to ask you guys to share which apps you've come across that really need to managed well in order to prevent excessive battery drain.

While apps running in the background are generally not a problem because of the way Android is designed, they can be incredibly power-hungry if they're constantly polling the internet, syncing, and updating status information. IM clients are a good example of this, but there are other apps out there that unexpectedly prevent the EVO from going to sleep, which of course means a huge hit on battery life (you'd be drained if you were up all night too).

The biggest offender on my EVO is Slacker Radio, which seems to use more battery when it's "off" than when it's actually streaming music. Which apps behave badly on yours?

32 thoughts on “Which apps behave badly on your HTC EVO 4G?

• Guitar tuner app will drain the battery. I got a message that the microphone was dead, this caused the app to hang and would not quit. It used up 30% of the battery in short order, about a half hour.

• Gowalla uses up a lot of battery on mine.

There are three, one that is more of a note than behaving badly…

1) Sirius XM. This app seems to use more battery than anything else on my phone. If I am using this and NOT plugged in, I can expect my battery to be dead in a few hours. If it’s in the background it may last a little longer, but not much.

2) Toggle Screen Lock widget. If the screen is unlocked or unlocked and on (for when I am streaming music) I can kill my battery extremely fast. I’ve forgotten to turn that off twice and both times I’ve ended up with battery draining at about 10x the normal rate.

3) BIC Concert Lighter. One day I opened that up to show a friend. The NEXT DAY I pulled it off the charger in the morning and went back to look at the battery percent a few hours in and the battery was WAY lower than I expected, so I went to look at the usage and the BIC app had been active for 94% of the time, while it was in the BACKGROUND! Stay away from this poorly designed app unless you want to have to remember to kill it manually every time you use it.

• What’s the best method for figuring out what apps are taking up a lot of battery? If I don’t use Advanced Task Killer, it’s amazing how many things are running in the background and seemingly stay running.

• Every day, Pandora freezes and needs to be shutdown with task killer. I can’t believe how often this happens.

Not that this necessarily drains that much battery, but does anybody know how to stop the Amazon mp3 app to stop from opening? I’ve gotten into the habit of just running the task killer every time I turn the screen off, and I’d say 70 % of the time, that app is running for some reason.

• I’m with you. I kill that Amazon mp3 app every time I open my Evo. If we can’t delete it, can we put it on permanent standby somehow?

• ditto on Pandora freezing up, I can probably make it thru 2 to 3 songs and then it just freezes.

• same with amazon mp3 help we need somebody

• I also would like to thank the person responsible for this site and say that this has become my morning coffee. Thank you
    I would also like an update on accessories for our other technological half I can’t seem to find anything.

• Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it.

Are you male or female? My other half is my husband so most of the accessories I’ve covered so far are already for him. :-)

• Ebuddy IM client gave my evos battery a beating, it wouldn’t allow my phone to go into standby. I’m using Fring now with no issues, its also pretty decent for video calls.

• I’ve read the thing about task killers, actually on this site, before I bought an Evo. :D. Still, in the end I like using Advanced Task Killer so long as I maintain a good ignore list. The only apps I really close with it regularly are that amazon app, my emulators and the default browser, though I tend to use the Dolphin HD browser more now which seems to have a reliable close program function. I pretty much follow the rule of, If I don’t know what it does, it goes on the task killer’s ignore section, and that seems to have worked pretty reliably for me. No issues with the Evo so far aside from that Amazon thing, which is a small deal. I figured it couldn’t be using that much battery since I haven’t really had any battery issues yet so it’s a tiny gripe.

The one thing I do wish is that someone would make an app so you can use one of the volume buttons as a camera button. If there’s some way to do this already that would be awesome.

• Most apps in the background are in a frozen state allowing you to access the app where you left off and wont use any battery power. You can use “OSmonitor” to see for yourself, it will show you what background apps are drawing any cpu power and also give you the option to stop them.

Maybe I don’t have enough apps yet?? lol

I’ve been leaving Wi-Fi and GPS on all the time lately and, of course, Gmail is always current when I look. Before the update, I had been charging the EVO every night but lately it’s not necessary.

My wife has a Hero running 2.1 and many of the same apps I have. My battery seems to outlast hers most times.

No music or games here, though. We both have all the Google stuff (and the Sprint bloatware) and just five or six extras that do not seem to use any battery power except when we are using them. We’ve both been taking and sending photos a lot lately, so I expect that’s a drain.

Also, when I put the phones on the charger I always hit Task Killer first.

So, for my use, battery life on the EVO is just fine. But, maybe that will change if I load more apps at some point.

Oh, perhaps I should also say that most places I go have Wi-Fi, so I usually use that for mail and surfing the net. I have no idea how that would affect battery life one way or the other, though.

• DirecTV DVR Scheduler app hates me. I haven’t been able to successfully record a show using it on my EVO. My old BB Curve ran it fine, I’ll be it very slowly.

On the Evo it errors out just as I select what show I want to record.

• I can’t get the swype keyboard to work. It locks up my browser big time.

Make sure you are using the proper build of Swype. I know at three other people with it and none of us have experienced this. I did have an issue when I tried to install the wrong version once, but the correct version fixed that straightaway.

• +1 Awesome. Thanks for the reply.

• Agreed. Swype is my keyboard of choice. It is excellent. The only thing that I wish I could do is find a way to trigger the voice-recognition. I love swipe, but when driving, I like to be able to add things to Remember The Milk

• Try uninstalling and reinstalling it..

I was having the same issues and Pandora Support recommended it..

• Strangely enough, the official Google Voice app was draining my battery insanely fast without me doing anything. Once I removed it, my battery tripled, even while syncing 4 gmail accounts.

Go figure.

• How did you remove the Google Voice app? It’s a standard part of the phone. Even if you delete it from your home screen it’s still there under all apps.

• It showed up under “Downloads” in the Market. I just simply uninstalled it.

• anyone know how to stop google talk from always starting???
    i kill it under running services but its pain.
    Also does anyone know how much juice its using?

• There’s this app called Android System that keeps draining me. I think i’ll uninstall it and put GameBoy OS on there.

• I had to install Google Voice. It wasn’t there under the list of pre-installed apps. I did was able to uninstall it using the application manager.

I also found Google voice to be a drainer. It also had a terrible lag when I dialed out using the dialer. Kind of a bummer considering GV integration was one of the reasons I switched to Android.

• Just recently maps has used 90% or more of my power. It dosent use that much battery ( I will have about 80% left after 4 or 5 hrs unplugged) it just makes me wonder why that is using 90 percent of my 20 percent… its funny because android isnt even showing up on my battery list. I would take a screenshot but shoot me dosent work anymore after the update.

I didn’t know there was a DirecTV app. Sweet!

Oh, and I like how your speech-to-text translated “albeit.”

I use pandora daily ok my evo and I have no issues.