How to download and save YouTube videos on HTC EVO
There's no limit to the number of times you can watch your favorite video on YouTube, but if the video ever gets taken down or you're in an area without an internet connection, you'll probably wish you had a copy of it.
Well, your wish just came true. With the HTC EVO 4G, you can download all the YouTube videos you want and save them on your SD card for viewing anytime, anywhere.
There are two ways to do this: 1) using the stock YouTube app or 2) using a third-party app that ties into the mobile version of youtube.com. The second option is more robust and lets you save HD versions of the videos, but you'll find instructions for both methods below.
1. Get YouTube Ripper from Android Market or scan the QR code below:
2. Launch the YouTube app that came preinstalled on your EVO.
3. Find a video you want to save and play it.
4. From the video playback screen, press Menu -> Share -> YouTube Ripper.
5. Press the "Rip It!" button that will appear beneath the box containing the video URL. You can watch the progress of the download by tapping "Downloads" at the bottom of the screen. Videos are ripped in standard quality and stored on your SD card in an automatically created youtube folder (/sdcard/youtube).
1. Get YouTube Downloader: TubeMate from Android Market or scan the QR code below.
2. Launch TubeMate on your EVO.
3. Find a video you want to save, select it, and tap the "Save to" button on the playback screen.
4. If you're not already logged in, you'll be asked to choose between logging in or downloading. Choose whichever option you want.
5. A menu listing all of the video's download options, including HD if available, will appear. Choose your desired quality.
6. If logged in, you can save the video to your YouTube favorites list, an existing playlist, or a new playlist you can create in the app. The video will also be saved to your SD card. If you're not logged in, the video will just be saved to your SD card. The default location is sdcard/Video but you can change it by tapping Menu -> Preferences -> Folder Setting.
You can watch the saved videos on your EVO, transfer them to your computer or another mobile device, or just hang onto them for safekeeping. Either way, you'll never be without your favorite YouTube videos again.