AndroidTablets

Xoom LTE upgrade will require a hardware modification, sending the device in

- for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

When I wrote about batteries the other day some of the commenters made it very clear that sending in a tablet to Apple (or anyone else) to get the battery replaced was not something they would do, both for privacy issue and because it would take a while. While an iPad owner might have to do that to his or her iPad after 3 years of using the battery, Xoom 3G owners will have to send their tablet in within 3 months if they want to upgrade to LTE (4G). Droid-life found an information sheet from Verizon stating a few details regarding the upgrade, which is supposed to happen within 90 days from launch. While the upgrade is completely free, you will need to send your tablet in to get the upgraded hardware soldered to the Xoom’s motherboard. The process is supposed to take 6 days (good luck with that if 2 million Xoom owners send theirs in the same week) and Verizon warn people to back up before sending it it.

I think this just emphasizes what I’ve already said about the Xoom: they’re so ridiculously desperate to get the thing to market before any other Honeycomb tablet that they’re basically taking a prototype and shipping it out the door, lacking both the hardware it will need in 90 days and Flash. Any sensible manufacturer would put off the launch until the hardware could be installed when the device is produced, but that is not how Motorola thinks. It’s sad, and I hope they get professional help, because this isn’t healthy for anyone- Motorola, Verizon, Xoom owners and especially the poor engineers who have to do all those upgrades.

Andreas Ødegård

Andreas Ødegård is more interested in aftermarket (and user created) software and hardware than chasing the latest gadgets. His day job as a teacher keeps him interested in education tech and takes up most of his time.

22 thoughts on “Xoom LTE upgrade will require a hardware modification, sending the device in

• Better than waiting 90 more days and the Xoom in holding right now is FAR from a “prototype”.

two things crossing mx mind if i’m thinking of such beta-products, First is the german wetab, second is the iPhone4-bumper Story :D

It’s definitely disappointing. I don’t mind waiting for flash, and I wouldn’t mind waiting for 4g, but sending it in for a week is silly. I wonder how much they are banking on people not knowing, or caring to send it in. Think mail in rebates. Most don’t get processed through.

@Enzo, waiting for your updates. I’ve seen all the reviews, and it’s getting old weeding through the bias’ and stating the facts reviews. I’ve seen a couple saying the screen is too pixelated and dreary, while others say the screen looks amazing and pops. I even saw a comparison of the XOOM front facing camera, talking about the poor quality, being compared to the Macbook Pro’s front camera. They showed the pics, which was funny considering the Xoom pic was in a poorly lit environment, while the Macbook was in an extremely well lit room.

Certainly feels unfinished, doesn’t it? I spend awhile reading the whole Anandtech write-up and was moderately impressed with it. But ultimately I was left wanting. I think it’s a “wait 6 months and see what happens” situation.

Did i get it right, i have theoreticly 90 days to send it in, after this periode upgrading is impossible or not for rewe anymore? Will have any xoomtablet have LTE, which is selled after this 3 Month?

• I find all these little discoveries made about the Xoom pretty shady. I mean first the Flash thing, now this. I don’t have a real problem with it, it’s just that they’re not forthcoming about it, which kind of sucks. Of course, they couldn’t litter all their alien-ship-consuming-the-customer ads with these bits of information. A bit disappointing.

Well dodgy!

I would rather wait 3 months to see how the xoom goes and then (hopefully, if I still wanted it and nothing better came along) get it with the upgrade already complete.

So sad… Manufacturers are in a real hurry nowadays.

• Sad indeed. You’d think that the fact the product isn’t done is reason enough not to release it. I wonder would it have hurt them so much, business-wise, to wait until it’s better? I understand there’s a business side to it that I don’t get, but doesn’t common sense apply as well? Release a half backed pie, people won’t like the taste.

• *half baked pie. Crap… sorry. Half backed up pie. :)

History is a loop, startet with a lot of great pc-games, released in a betastadium and get patched over three times with 500mb patches. Now tablets get released as early as possible, whats next? Cars? :D

Lol this made me laugh :D

“The new Toyota Corolla with special brakes*!!

*The brakes will be optionally installed after 90 days from launch”

Haha hope this never comes true.. But with the tablet, as long as Flash and LTE is the only thing needed, I don’t see it as too much of a problem..

• I don’t why they don’t just hold of the release like you said. Potentially some people will just hold of buying one till they can get this stuff out of the box.

Unfortunate, but I can’t say that I’m that surprised.

You could turn it that way that motorola says: the customers are waiting like hell for this devices, we releas it now and offer hardwareupgrades later for free.