Good and EVOTips & DealsTutorials

Adjust 3D alignment for sharper pictures on HTC EVO 3D

3Dadjustment
If you're enjoying all of the professionally-produced 3D content available on YouTube, as well as stunning self-made 3D video clips, but you are finding your 3D pictures a bit lacking, don't worry: the HTC EVO 3D has a built-in solution, no extra hacking required.

Indeed, one of the most common complaints about photographs taken with the EVO 3D is that some 3D pictures just aren't aligning very well, often causing eye strain and headaches as your eyes fruitlessly attempt to focus on the image displayed on your phone's screen.

If you experience this after taking a picture, simply navigate to the photo in the stock gallery and tap anywhere on the image to bring up additional options. You'll then want to tap what looks like a wand with sparkles, which will bring you to an editing menu.

Next, tap Adjust 3D alignment – the tabs you see on the left and right are what allow you to move the two side-by-side images into closer alignment. Additionally, if you tilt the phone so that you have different viewing angles, it should be easier to see where the two images are currently placed.

You should note that the two cameras take photographs from slightly different perspectives, thus allowing the phone to create a 3D image. Therefore, it will not be possible to get both images to align perfectly. Because of this, the key is to find out where the focus point of the 3D picture is, and then try to align both images to that specific point.

Jerzyiroc has provided some helpful pictures that explain this process in a bit more detail, so be sure to check out that tutorial if you need more guidance.

Now, once you have aligned your 3D pictures a bit better, you should notice that not only do your photographs appear sharper, but your eyes will experience less strain and will thank you for that later. Hopefully this process will become more automated in a future update, but at least HTC gave us the ability to use this tool when needed. Happy editing!

John F

11 thoughts on “Adjust 3D alignment for sharper pictures on HTC EVO 3D

• Has anyone else had a problem where the Gallery app is not showing 3d pics in 3d? It used to work and the 3d works when I take a picture or view YouTube, but pics that I took in 3d or ones that I take and then get saved are no longer viewing in 3d from the gallery.
    I’m about to try a hard reset but I wanted to ask first.

Thanks,
    -Mike

• This is why I check G&E daily. Awesome info you guys!!!

• I had that same problem and was starting to despair. 3D still worked when using the cameras in 3D mode, but the pictures in the gallery just showed the two misaligned images. It was like the parallax filter wasn’t being turned on somehow. 3D also worked just fine in the green hornet movie and the spider man game.

Fortunately my phone locked up when trying to use the built in task manager. I had to remove the battery to get it to work again. After that, the gallery magically showed the 3D effects properly again.

I have no idea what caused the problem, but try pulling out your battery and see if that fixes it. Hopefully that will work for you too.

-Dave

• Thanks, I’ll give it a try. It seems that it’s having trouble with the .MPO files. The 3d video I’ve taken seems ok. Strange…
    Thanks again!
    -Mike

• Dave, that did the trick! You saved me a day’s worth of setting everything up again and re-downloading apps.

Thanks again!
    -Mike

• The misalignment usually is from taking pictures too close to the camera. I find that anything less than a foot away needs the re-alignment.

Wonder if it’s because the cameras don’t tilt (or cross eyes) like we do when focusing on close objects.

Works like a charm! Thanks!

• Anyone had problems with camera on Evo 3D locking up? Every so often it seems my camera driver locks up while taking a photo and the camera doesn’t respond anymore. Back button does nothing. I have to press Home and kill it with a task killer in order for it to work again. I though it was only the stock app, but when using another camera app on my phone it also locked up, but not as often.

• Is there any way to make VIDEOS display more clearly on the youtube app and such?

Some videos work fantastically, but for other videos .. the 3D is messed up. I guess the images aren’t properly aligned?

Any idea why that is?

• aligning the picture does not predominantly align the camera correct?

Dude you’re the bomb!