Early release of CyanogenMod 11 KitKat now available on the HTC EVO 4G LTE

KitKat3Developer Kushdeck released an unofficial version of  CyanogenMod 11 based on Android 4.4 KitKat this morning for the HTC EVO 4G LTE. The ROM is listed as an unofficial CyanogenMod 11 release, and still a work in progress.

The installation evidently requires TWRP 2.6.3 recovery, which is linked in the development thread. (The link is not to the TWRP site, so I’m thinking it’s modified. There are no notes on that except one comment that someone needed to flash that version in the OP.) It also includes a link to the new KitKat GApps package, so there are three separate files you’ll need to download and one potentially new recovery to install.

There are no screenshots of the new ROM yet; however, there are also no people shouting loudly that the ROM ate their kittens. I’ll be flashing this sometime this weekend, but I’ve got another Sense 5.0 build and a different AOSP ROM in my queue before it. The first CyanogenMod 11 ROMs started appearing about a day ago across XDA, and have been generally well received with no mentions of feline consumption.

If you’re planning on trying this out, please let us know how it works for you, but also make sure to make a nandroid backup and know how to flash a recovery image from fastboot just in case that version of TWRP doesn’t work for you and the ROM breaks down on you.

[xda-developers]

Paul E King

18 thoughts on “Early release of CyanogenMod 11 KitKat now available on the HTC EVO 4G LTE

• November 8, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Downloading now. Will let you know how it turns out.

• November 8, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Cool beans – can’t install it til baby and wife are home as although I can get phone calls via IP on the deactivated EVOs, quality is meh and can’t leave the house.

Never thought parenthood would interfere with ROM flashing….

• November 9, 2013 at 7:12 am

Haha. It does, my friend, it does.

I haven’t even set up my Nexus 5 yet for similar reasons. I got it several days ago and between my work and the little dude, I’ve found little time to get it up and running the way I want it (hopefully Monday I’ll have some time allocated).

• November 8, 2013 at 3:34 pm

hey zack did your download keep breaking, or did you dl using your computer?

• November 8, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Paul, May we ask why the other two Roms Aretha you are interested in?

• November 8, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Looking at Dirty Unicorns – there’s a new windowed mode launcher and it’s running 4.3.1 supposedly stable now.

Finishing up Captain Throwback’s R16 Sense 5 which rocks and only has the Bluetooth stereo issue as far as I can tell.

Seems like there was something else, kind of a busy Friday as I’ve written something like four Pocketables pieces and started a server for an EVO archive project (which might be cool) and am seriously breaking my brain on tasker at the moment

• November 9, 2013 at 12:55 pm

I downloaded via my PC. However, my Win 7 machine decided to stop recognizing my EVO while in Bootloader. I’ve installed the latest HTC drivers, and while the EVO is up and running, adb recognizes it.

I’m S-Off, but my bootloader got relocked with one of these Roms I flashed, so I need to do an “adb oem unlock” command before I can install this TWRP file he uploaded.

• November 9, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I meant it won’t recognize my EVO in Fastboot.

• November 9, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I’m installing Ubuntu on Virtualbox, as i’ve read this issue can be resolved using ADB in Linux. I’ll let you know if I get KitKat installed. =)

• November 9, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I DL’d this yesterday. KitKat tastes sweet (sorry). I installed TWRP via ADB. No issues!!

I have to be hones, the UI wasn’t very intuitive. However, there are 3 launcher options and I didn’t spend A LOT of time on anyone. I have work responsibilities for my phone and was paranoid to be without it, so I NAND’d back and will be restoring it later tonight or tomorrow. I’ll test GPS, BT, Wifi, etc.

I still think it is absolutelly CRAZY and this Evo runs so well on 4.3 (and most likely 4.4).

Paul – I am running Carbon as my DD. I tried DU and it was pretty awesome, but lately ran into som laggin issues with the softkeys (like 5-8 second lag). Loved it so much, I’m going to check out 4.3.1.

• November 10, 2013 at 8:29 am

The unofficial CM11 works great. The custom button layout hasn’t been moved over yet.

• November 10, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I successfully updated to 2.6.3 but when I try to install the CM 11 it fails. I don’t know if I need to change the PRI as well. Anyone got any suggestions??

• November 10, 2013 at 8:50 pm

By fails what do you mean? Fails to boot, fails to flash, fails to parse the script, fails to do anything, etc?

At the moment, you’re probably looking at a bad download of the ROM… alternately you might be S-ON and need to install via fastboot?

• November 11, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Hi Paul. I apologize for not being more specific. When I start the installation of the ROM, it starts then it stops loading and a red FAIL shows and halts the installation. I will try to do the recommendation you suggested. Ive loaded ROM’s before and no issues. Like I said earlier, I updated the TWRP via ADB terminal and it was fine. I am unlocked as well. I also thought maybe it was a bad download so I downloaded once more and the same result. Is there another location to download the KITKAT rom from? If not then I will let you (the experts :-)) know and see if you can guide me in the right direction. Thanks for replying.

• November 15, 2013 at 6:26 am

Installed 2 days ago, the only problems I’ve encountered so far are force quit when launching the new photo editor and gps locations laggy which is more signal related other than that the rom is solid. Easiest way to install the modded TWRP recovery is by using Flash Image GUI 99 cents in the google play store.

• December 18, 2013 at 5:48 pm

i actually have a question about the new rom. I have 4g with t mobile but after flashing it i was downgraded to 3g
    i prefer the speed of my 4g than the new rom but i would like both because ive been a big fan of kitkat for a long time… well long enough

• January 27, 2014 at 2:35 pm

hello paul, im almost a complete novice but an ethusiastic one. firstly i want to know if kit kat will work on evo 4g(au by KDDI)? secondly, how do i go about flashing a new rom on it? at the moment it runs on android os 2.3.6

• January 27, 2014 at 3:17 pm

The highest I can find at the moment for the original HTC EVO 4G is 4.2.2, which doesn’t mean that’s the highest it can go, just that’s what I’m capable of finding at the moment.

I’m probably not the best person to talk to about carriers other than Sprint in the US… as I only deal with the EVO line on Sprint, flashing something i tell you to might mess things up. I’d advise you go to forums.xda-developers.com and check the EVO 4G forum and see if there’s anyone there on your carrier.

However, the basics are the same for most HTC devices – unlock the phone at HTCDEV.com, install a custom recovery such as ClockworkMod or Teamwin – Amon RA is a bit too outdated these days, download a ROM and flash it in recovery mode.

We had some guids up on Pocketables/goodandevo a while back on how to do it, nothing’s changed on the 4g in a long long time so if you look up “state of root” there should be a link to a guide in there