Poll: Are you running KitKat on your Android devices?

kitkat Android

Over the past few days, Android 4.4 KitKat has finally started rolling out to all current Nexus devices, including the Google Nexus 4 by LG, the Nexus 10 by Samsung, and all versions of the Nexus 7 by ASUS. And while some features are officially exclusive to the Nexus 5, at least the actual OS is available in the form of an OTA update or a factory image.

The two Google Play Edition devices – the HTC One and the Samsung Galaxy S4 – are expected to get the update very soon, and it’s also started making its way to the Moto X, as well. Other devices are expected to get the update officially in the coming months, and even more custom ROM developers have already released running, working ROMs for a plethora of more devices.

In other words, the era of KitKat is upon us. But have you experienced it yet for yourself? Take part in our poll with fellow Pocketables readers and let us know whether or not you are running KitKat on any of your devices, or whether you’re still stuck on an older version of Android for the time being.

Personally, I’ve moved exclusively to Nexus devices, and I’ve been running KitKat on my Nexus 7 since its factory image was first available. Additionally, both of the Nexus 4s in my house got the OTA update simultaneously a few days ago, and of course, my Nexus 5 has run KitKat out of the box. It’s times like these that my decision to jump all in with the Nexus line feels validated – I don’t think I would have been able to stand my old HTC EVO 4G LTE running Jelly Bean.

But what about you?

John F

20 thoughts on “Poll: Are you running KitKat on your Android devices?

• November 24, 2013 at 5:13 pm

My HTC Evo 4G LTE will probably never get the update, but when someone ports the HTC One Kitkat update to it, I will finally root my phone. And run it till the new HTC phone comes out in April or March.

• November 24, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Don’t hold your breath. It took this long to get a decent version of 4.1.2 of sense running on the EVO LTE, I would doubt they’ll be a 4.4 of sense running on the EVO LTE…..

Not hating, just stating facts

• November 24, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I’m waiting I have an HTC One!

• November 24, 2013 at 5:56 pm

It was tough, but I was able to wait until the OTA update hit and I was able to flash the .zip without needing to unlock my bootloader. I’m really enjoying 4.4 on my Nexus 4.

• November 24, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Waiting on my S4 GPE.

• November 24, 2013 at 9:15 pm

yes 2012 n7 32gb

• November 25, 2013 at 3:24 pm

My 2012 N7 32GB hasn’t seen the update yet. But, I’m not too upset.

I don’t mind waiting a bit longer. I have KitKat to play with on my Nexus 5, after all.

• November 26, 2013 at 11:03 am

Aaaand, now it has. It just got it today.

It runs great. I noticed a fairly hefty drop in RAM usage, and it feels very fluid (though previous versions, especially Android 4.3, were fluid too). I threw GEL on it and it runs great. I’m happy.

• November 24, 2013 at 9:33 pm

No option for “My nexus 5 came with it”

• November 24, 2013 at 10:00 pm

What a joke Google is becoming. Moto X getting updates before my Nexus 4.

I would have upgraded to the Nexus 5 but once again Google delivers mediocre battery life and a sub par camera.

I would love to know what kit Kat is like but Google has not allowed my supposed “Nexus” device to get it. My wife’s nexus 7? No update either. How embarrassing at my work I brag about Nexus first to get updates and then a coworker w a moto x has it before me!

Google is burning bridges w me.

• November 24, 2013 at 10:48 pm

u shouldn’t brag lol

• November 25, 2013 at 8:29 am

If you want it that bad, just flash the factory image or sideload the update via ADB. Otherwise, you have to wait your turn in line.

Yes, I’m upset that the update took so long, but it’s just an update. Is a couple days really worth getting THIS upset over?

• November 26, 2013 at 7:19 pm

So your answer is I have to run a program to install an update on a Nexus device meanwhile a nonNexus device already has it?

Kind of defeats the point of owning Nexus doesn’t it?

I bought a Nexus device because supposedly they got updates first and I would not be compelled to side load and flash crap onto it.

I’m encouraged by some comments on here regarding battery life on the N5 at least.

• November 25, 2013 at 3:22 pm

I haven’t experienced mediocre battery life with my Nexus 5. I regularly get 4+ hours screen on time with heavy usage over a 48 hour period off the charger, all on LTE.

If I manage to drain my battery in a 24 hour period, I usually see 6+ hours of screen on time (on LTE). As for the camera, it’s been really good so far. It could probably use some tweaks in a future update, but it’s definitely very good. I’m happy with my Nexus 5.

• November 26, 2013 at 9:57 am

We have been warned many times, do not buy a device based on updates it might be getting.
      I guess that includes Nexus devices.
      As far as battery life, I am getting more than 2 days out of my nexus 5 and still at 30 to 50% battery when I do plug it in.( not yet willing to push it 3 days)
      Good luck, don’t lose hope.

• November 26, 2013 at 11:04 am

I’ve pushed my Nexus 5 to three days. It’ll do that if you only put about 1.5 – 2 hours of screen on time.

I’m still very happy with my Nexus 5’s battery life. I think Google did a good job.

• November 25, 2013 at 11:53 am

No option for “I was but the 4.4 ROMs I have found for my phone don’t seem quite good enough yet.”

• November 25, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Hmm. How about the option for “Yes, my phone came with KitKat.” Obviously, I mean Nexus 5 handsets, here. But yes, I’m running KitKat on my Nexus 5. :)

I’m actually still waiting on KitKat for my 2012 Nexus 7. I’ve been tempted to sideload, but I’ve played around with KitKat enough on my Nexus 5, that I can wait for it a bit longer on my tablet.

• November 26, 2013 at 8:25 am

I bought the Sony Xperia Tablet S when it was released, about a year ago, it was running 4.0 then, got updated to 4.1 in the spring, and that’s about as far as it got.

Flagship device doesn’t mean much to Sony, and it was considered obsolete pretty damn quickly.

My 4 year old laptop would have no issue with Win 8.1 however, mostly because HP wouldn’t need to approve it first. Goes to show how different desktop and mobile operating system paradigms are, doesn’t it?