I was recently contacted by a Google Fiber rep who said that Fiber was finally working at our business. I checked with the bosses and verified they wanted the backup still (no chance we’re using this as a primary,) with what’s been going on consistently. They said sure. This would be I believe the third attempt to get Google Fiber in the building after they missed the deadline/cutover date by 7 months.
The only day they had reasonably soon was a Friday that I was off. I left a note indicating how many years this had been happening and a brief summary of what was going on. I got a call a little after the install time indicating there were issues they were working on. Of course there were.
Within an hour I had pictures (and a call,) of the testing equipment showing the entire thing was dead and it was once again going back to be worked on by another group.
I sent an email to the person who said it was working, it’s now going to upper management. I suspect nothing will happen.
I do now have an email saying their backbone was damaged multiple times, which is what happens when you bury fiber optic a few inches under the road in an area where construction is non-stop.
Google Fiber: We’re gettin’ to it.