FeaturesUMPC

So many netbooks, so little time

Netbooks_galore

Actually, that isn’t true at all. I have the time; it’s the interest in the low-cost netbook craze that I’m missing.

It’s obvious that this mini notebook trend won’t be short-lived, especially now that major companies like Sony and Dell are involved, and it’s tough to ignore the deluge of new devices being revealed whenever I refresh my Google Reader feeds list. But rather than feign interest by covering the netbooks expected to be shown at Computex this week and elsewhere afterward, I’ve decided to use this post to compile a list of links where those interested in 8.9- to 10-inch netbooks can go for more information.

The list isn’t exhaustive but will be updated regularly with launch news and official details. So if you’re interested, check back often or bookmark this page to make sure you don’t miss anything.

Acer Aspire One

Asus Eee PC 901

Asus Eee PC 1000

Dell E/Mini Inspiron (tentative name)

Elonex

Everex Cloudbook Max

FIC CE2A1 (VIA), CW0A1 (Intel)

Gigabyte M912

HP 2133 Mini-Note

Malata/AMD (unnamed)

Medion Akoya (10.2" display)

MSI Wind

Sony OpenBook (unconfirmed)

VIA OpenBook (reference design)

7 thoughts on “So many netbooks, so little time

• I hear ya, Jenn. All this talk of netbooks puts me to sleep. Bring on the MID’s and new iPhone!

• Hello Jenn,

I agree with you, those mini-netbooks are not what i expected as an umpc. I hope you keep your own way of reporting and spent not that much time to it. UMPC Portal was one of my favourite sites, but the last months Chippy lost in my opinion to much the view on umpc’s. It is only my opinion and i won’t comment the great jobs you (Chippy, JKK, Jenn) do.

You might want to focus a bit on the ARM directions. As the ARM direction right now is “better than Intel” powerwise, and Intel knows it! For Example a Solar based touch system that boots Linux in 2 seconds…

For more see “related stories” area about other devices at the bottom of this page… now, some might say that this is for industrial use… but, this will be in your car, mounted on a bike (motor or non-motor), etc.

Of course when the Pixel Qi stuff hits in full force with integrated touchscreen powersaving at less than 10% of LCD running Linux, you will have a dramatic change in the battery life / solar point of view (power wise) of such devices.

• Also consider that OLPC may announce a vendor that will partner with OLPC to sell it at $200 in the same stores that sell Asus Eees.

If Pixel Qi can deliver a dual-mode 10″ screen, that OLPC reseller could also put a full size keyboard on it and target the business netbook users at $250.

• Funny, I feel the same way, Jenn.
    This is NOT what I think a UMPC should be, but obviously the “powers-that-be” do.
    I hope this does not spell the end of devices like the HTC Shift or Samsung Q1 Ultra!

• The UX just got delisted from the Sony Style site…Could this be evidence supporting the Sony Openbook rumor?

• I think Netbooks are a great species, I myself am a student and I only use my pc for modest use, not for gaming or some photoshoping, and I don’t want to drag my heavy laptop around and this is a great alternative-small, compact, lightweight, does what I need it to…and they are cheap…Everybody has an opinion but they wouldn’t be making these if people don’t want them…